Greece Poems

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
woody

Greece Poems

Post by woody » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:24 pm

Does any one know which poetry books/ poems were completed during Leonard's time in Greece? I know there are a few in stranger music but wasn't sure if there is a whole book that was written there?
Andrew (Darby)

Re: Greece Poems

Post by Andrew (Darby) » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:49 pm

Hi Woody,

I think I've found evidence that Leonard did finish a few poetry books on Hydra.

Firstly, these three poetry books were published in the sixties when he was primarily resident there: The Spice-Box Of Earth (1961); Flowers For Hitler (1964); and Parasites Of Heaven (1966).

Secondly, in the Guardian article below by Polly Samson, she said, speaking of Leonard:
He knew that work would keep him sane, and during the years of writing his two novels and collections of poetry on the island, had a work ethic to match George and Charmian’s.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/ ... e-of-hydra

By the way, Polly Samson’s novel set on Hydra, ‘A Theatre For Dreamers’, is an engrossing beautifully written one that integrates a fictitious story with the lives of Leonard and his Bohemian peers on Hydra back then. 8)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”