Packing help please? Hydra meetup/Europe

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
vlcoats

Packing help please? Hydra meetup/Europe

Post by vlcoats »

Hello!
I am writing to ask for help with practicalities of what to pack when we come to the meetup in June. We need to travel light because we are taking carryon luggage only and our modest accommodations in Hydra are several steps up from the harbor! Also, we will be taking a couple flights in Europe (Rome, Marseilles, and Paris) and I hear that carryon luggage is more restrictive in Europe than America.

My first question is about personal items like toothpaste, hair conditioner, sunscreen, moisturizer, etc. We will only be in Europe for 12 days, but I was planning to bring only enough personal items for a few days and then get what I needed locally. Is that a realistic plan?

Another question is regarding clothing. I was thinking of bringing capri-length travel pants, T shirt/tank top, shorts or skirt, and a light jacket. Plus walking shoes and sandals and maybe a swimsuit and tank dress. We aren't doing anything fancy and plan to spend our time sightseeing and just being happy to be there! :D Does that sound good or might I wish I brought more stuff like warmer clothes?

Last of all, do you have any tips or ideas for things I might want to pack, like a hat or whatever? As long as it doesn't take up much room, lol.

Thanks in advance for your help. It has been many years since I was lucky enough to go to Europe, and I have never been to Greece or Italy. Dave has never been at all.

Vickie
Brian M

Re: Packing help please? Hydra meetup/Europe

Post by Brian M »

I suggest you first check all the airlines you are flying with to ascertain their carry-on luggage restrictions - size and weight. What ever is the smallest/lightest is the one you will have to go with.

Similarly with your liquids, creams, etc. What you bring will be controlled by the rules on such items in carry-on. So you'll have to buy.

Your clothes plan is reasonable - light stuff and layerable.

Bring a hat. Don't take up luggage space - wear it!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Brian’s advice is good - airline rules do vary with restrictions on carry on (“cabin baggage”) size and weight which can be strictly enforced depending on airline and/ or airport staff. We have toothpaste, hair conditioner, sunscreen, moisturiser etc in Europe though you may not find your favourite brands and don’t forget liquids must be in containers no bigger than 100ml for carry on whatever the airline rules.

You are unlikely to need any warmer clothes for Hydra but you might want to bring something warmer for Paris as the weather can be more unpredictable further north plus a waterproof jacket or coat. It can be pretty hot on Hydra, even in early June, so you might need extra changes of clothing and bear in mind that you will be walking on shiny cobbles when selecting which shoes to pack. You’ll want to cover shoulders and knees to visit churches and monasteries etc though bigger places often provide something.

W
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Thank you both! I did already check with all airlines on size restrictions, but haven't checked all of their restrictions for liquids. Will do!

I wasn't planning on bringing anything waterproof, so I need to give that some thought. Living in the Northwest, rain is a familiar companion, and clothing dries. I just like to keep it off my glasses, lol. I will be sure to be prepared to be modestly dressed in churches and such.

Thanks again for your help! I would love to hear any other travel tips, packing tips that anyone has. I don't care how random they are. I have been trying to watch YouTube for tips, and that is also helping. I am a little worried about the language problem, but we're hoping to get by with our English and a smattering of phrases in other languages that I'm sure we will totally mangle the pronunciation.

Thanks again!
Vickie
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Vickie - the restriction on liquids in carry on is an international one and strictly enforced everywhere since 2006. Make sure the containers are no bigger than 100ml. I’ve seen people try to take a small amount in a larger bottle causing problems at security. Personally I have also had a 100ml bottle rejected because security thought it was too big but that is unusual.

Don’t worry about language. You’ll be fine using English on Hydra and in the cities you mentioned.

W

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”