Hydra celebrates Leonard Cohen [on June 13]

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
jarkko
Site Admin

Hydra celebrates Leonard Cohen [on June 13]

Post by jarkko »

Mr. George Koukoudakis, the Mayor of Hydra has informed us that the Municipality will celebrate Leonard Cohen in a special way. The inauguration of the bench will be followed by other happenings. We try to coordinate everything so that our Meetup group will be able to participate in the whole program on Saturday and Sunday. The concert screening at the Cinema Club may, or may not, be moved from Saturday to Sunday.
The Mayor has asked Mr. Panagiotis Rappas, a Member of the Local Council, who is in charge of cultural affairs, contact me shortly in order to make the neccessary arrangements.

More info to follow! This is getting exciting!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Re: Hydra celebrates Leonard Cohen

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Exciting indeed! I am gutted to be missing it.

W
Last edited by Mabeanie1 on Mon May 04, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

This is the BEST POSSIBLE outcome, Jarkko!!!
To see them take it even further for the celebration of Leonard in all of our lives is so gratifying!
I'm so excited and Leonard is so deserving!
I'm sorry, too, that you will have to miss it, Wendy. Cruel timing, indeed.
I'm trusting you'll at least enjoy your alternate, prior plans.

Thanks for this confirmation, Jarkko, of what we've all been hoping and praying for.,. that it would be approved and come together in time for our gathering. NOW, to have additional activities is a bonus beyond belief!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mutti

Post by mutti »

What wonderful news Jarkko! Those of us who won't be there on Hydra with all of you will be waiting to hear all about it the events so please take video's and photos!
Cheers
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Tripping

Post by Tripping »

I cannot wait!
Marseilles 2010, Barcelona 2012, London 2013, Amsterdam 2013. Hoping for more ..
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Hydra celebrates Leonard Cohen on June 13

Post by jarkko »

From Mr. Panagiotis Rappas, member of the Local Council, who is in charge of cultural affairs on the island:
We are planning in the Municipality to organize every year in the begging of the summer an event to honor one of the many personalities, especially from the Arts sector, who have had or they still have a strong relation with the Island.
We prepare this year an event to honor Leonard Cohen in co-operation with the Canadian Embassy in Athens. Mr. Christides told me few months ago that the International Club of Leonard Cohens Friends plans to build a bench on the road to Kamini to honor the artist and I proposed to join forces and celebrate the occasion together.

I am very happy that finally we are there!!!

On Saturday 13/6 evening we will have in the harbor of Hydra an event dedicated to Leonard Cohen and his artistic work. As you know Leonard Cohen apart of a great musician and songwriter is one equally great Writer and Poet and the event will concentrate in both parts of his Artistic Creation.

Actors will read some of his poems both in English and Greek, there will be some screenings with parts of Interviews he gave over the years in different TV channels and especially the Canadian TV, and some fantastic musicians and Jazz musicians will perform or improvise on different Leonard Cohen songs.

I love the idea to have your Club actively participate in the event and because the members of the Club come from many different countries and many different languages I wanted to ask you to read few poems of Leonard Cohen in other than English or Greek languages to highlight the Universal influence of his work. Could you please ask your fellow members if someone is interested to read a poem in his mother tongue? I can fit up to 5 short poems in the event. If you can manage to find 5 different languages it will be really great. As well at the beginning of the event your representative can welcome the audience together with the Ambassador of Canada and the Mayor of Hydra.
Our original plan was to have the concert video screening at the Cinema Club on Saturday evening, but this big LC happening in the harbor on Saturday will take priority, and we will move the film to Sunday evening (this is yet to be confirmed).

I will also send a group email to all of our participants, to find five persons who'd be willing to read one of Leonard's poems in their own languages (if you want to be one of those, you can already email me!)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
joyezekiel

Re: Hydra celebrates Leonard Cohen [on June 13]

Post by joyezekiel »

Thanks for the update, Jarkko. It all sounds very exciting!
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

We have the updated program here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35990&p=353143#p353143

Today's reports from our contacts on the island:
The Mayor informed just an hour ago that all the materials for the bench are in place by now.
George, our architect comes to Hydra on Sunday May 10th, and he will draw the final lines where the bench will be built. On Monday the workers will start building it.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

YAY ! 11th hour stuff here! Sliiiiiide in just under the deadline... but who cares, so long as it's there :D
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Unfortunately there is a risk that the bench will not be ready in June.
read more at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36015
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

WoW ~ Sadly ironic how the 11th hour is being used now!
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”