Flying Cats and Dolphins from Piraeus to Hydra

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
jarkko
Site Admin

Flying Cats and Dolphins from Piraeus to Hydra

Post by jarkko »

Here is the new schedule (thanks to Roman!):
http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.php ... ia/saronic
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Re: Flying Cats and Dolphins from Piraeus to Hydra

Post by lizzytysh »

Should we make reservations, Jarkko?
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Early June is not high season in Greece, so usually the Cats and Dolphins have many empty seats.
I'm not going to book our tickets in advance because one never knows what happens with the flights. If you come late to the harbour and you boat has left, you've lost your money and have to re-book to a later departure (this is the official information; I have never tested if they really are so merciles to people coming late from the airport. Anybody here with experience?)
If you plan to get to Piraeus in the afternoon, you could of course book online to the last departure of the day. It has been possible to change the tickets at the ticket office to an earlier departure (without any fee)!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for that info, Jarkko.
It seems my only option in coming over will BE the last one of the day, but at least I'll have plenty of time to get there. The one preceding it is 2:00 PM and my plane arrives at 2:40. It took awhile to figure out the schedules, but I think I got it right :)
~ Oscar Wilde
Laura

Post by Laura »

Well, having quite a dilemma... if my plane lands at 12 (assuming it's not late), do I have any chance to catch the 2pm dolphin, or I shouldn't bother hurrying for it?!

Laura
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

It takes time to get luggage at the airport, then you have to wait for the next bus, and the trip to Piraeus takes one hour.
Your schedule will be very tight although not impossible, but there is not much margin.
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

On Fridays or Saturdays it can be very busy, also in June.
Wybe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Mine's on a Wednesday, so I guess I'm okay :)
~ Oscar Wilde
Laura

Post by Laura »

Wednesday here too... Well, I guess I'm going to have to run, and pray.

Laura
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I think we'll be okay, Laura, just going by the comments that have been made. Seems we'll be avoiding the crowds. You may actually make the earlier boat. I definitely will be on the later one... if all goes well. Still may end up making a reservation, since I'd rather spend the night on Hydra that's already paid for vs. the one in Athens that I hope I don't need to pay for.
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

apu10.jpg
Valid until June 11
Complete schedule here:
http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.php ... ia/saronic
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

laura
I would say there very little chance of you catching a flying cat at 2pm if your plane is not due to land until 12pm...presuming you have checked in baggage to collect i can't see you going thru passport control and picking up your luggage and be out of the airport in anything less than 45 to 60 minutes ..that would only leave an hour or a little bit more to get down to pireaus ...even if you were lucky in catching a bus or a train straightaway it would still be next to impossible..even a taxi would take an hour and maybe even more depending on traffic...

i would settle for the late ferry if you want to book in advance...or better still don't bother booking in advance and if your plane happens to land 45/30 minutes early you could maybe take a chance and make a stressful dash for the port...but not the best way to start a holiday

or better still do what jarkko suggests and book the late ferry and if your plane does land early they will usually let you on the earlier ferry...but your plane will have to land really early and there will have to be no queues at passport control and the baggage handlers will have to be very quick and there will have to be a bus or train leaving just as you leave the airport for you to catch the 2pm...ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Laura

Post by Laura »

Thank you, Ken. Yeah, unfortunately there is no way for me to travel just with hand luggage... ;-) So I guess I'll just see how my luggage-passport thing goes and then decide from there. Hmm, I never booked a ferry in advance, I hope with it being on a wednesday, it wouldn't be crazily crowded... unless there is an invasion of cohenites! It's mostly that I just don't bloody know what to do in Athens for 5 hours with a luggage hanging on to me.

Laura
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Hi Laura,

http://www.athenslockers.com/el/lockers ... ggage.html

(Monastiraki station, that's where we should change the metro line)
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

laura...

if you can't make the 2pm.ferry then taking the train from the airport to monastiraki and dropping your luggage there is good advice from goldin...then my advice would be rather than wandering around the dirty hot noisy crowded streets of athens along with the multitude of tourists the new acropolis museum is only a 15/20 minute walk away from monastiraki station...

http://www.theacropolismuseum.gr/en

it's a beautiful place to visit never gets crowded and there are enough exhibits in the place to keep you interested for hours..and it's air-conditioned with places to rest..buy coffee and snacks... i spent most of the day in there looking around and just relaxing....the acropolis itself is only another 10 minutes away if you fancy tackling the crowds...but the museum is a great place to chill out...but don't leave it too late to go down to the port.. rush hour starts about 5pm. and that train down to piraeus can get very busy during the rush hour....and hang on to your luggage and belongings that line is notorious for theives and pickpockets targeting unsuspecting tourists making their way down to the port ...same goes for the port itself..as we know to our cost when a couple of years ago one of our cohenites was robbed and left on the quayside with virtually nothing ...ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”