The Hydra Meetup 2013

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
daniD.

Re: The Hydra Meetup 2013

Post by daniD. »

thank you, liverpoolken! i will have a look on the schedule once a week...don´t want to swim to hydra with all that bags...
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

daniD

i just dug out the hydra 2011 ferry timetable...i'm sure there won't be much change this year..the general pattern is that are always a couple ferries in the morning and one in the early afternoon and one or two in the late afternoon with a later one at weekends

i'm arriving in athens on the wednesday at 12;30pm. so if things stay the same i will head down to piraeus for the 17:00 ferry arriving in hydra at 18:30 were no doubt henning will be waiting for me on the harbour with a nice big glass of cold beer...ta ken
htimes2.jpg
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
daniD.

Post by daniD. »

liverpoolken and henning,

that´s nice! We will arrive at 12h20 in athens and obviously we will take the same ferry then.... henning would you be so kind and carry one more drink for me and oliver (wir teilen uns das...)? ;-)

have a sunny day! d.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

despite his recent promotion papa franz would like to assure his friends that it is still his intention to travel to hydra in june to participate in the leonard cohen meet up.....

...papa franz sends his blessings and hopes to be excused from the monastery walk this year...
hpope.jpg
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

A nice website from Hydra
The google translator works well with the language.

http://hydraspoliteia.blogspot.gr/2013/ ... _5212.html

They are celebrating the last weekend of the carnival, is't an old tradition.

Wybe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Thanks Wybe
newfoundland--understand?
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

the gtp (greek travel pages) site http://www.gtp.gr/RoutesForm.asp has just posted up the ferry schedule for the piraeus/hydra sailings..although hellenic seaways are not yet taking any bookings..
...a quick look at the sailings from piraeus to hydra for the week monday june 3 - friday june 7 tells us that from
monday to friday there are daily sailings at 8am. 10am. 2pm. 18:30. with extra sailings on friday at 17:30 and 19:15
that does seem to be a lot more late sailings than usual ....here is the timetable......click to enlarge..... ta ken

ph.jpg
Last edited by liverpoolken on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

....and the timetable from hydra back to piraeus........ta ken

click to enlarge
hydrat.jpg
Last edited by liverpoolken on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

i stand corrected about late sailings...i've just checked the old 2011 schedule and there were 18:30 sailings every day for the week of our arrival on hydra

...so daniD if your flight lands at 12:20 on the wednesday i can't see anyway for definite not even in a taxi of getting down to piraeus for the 2pm sailing so it looks like me you will be going for the 18:30 sailing arriving on hydra at 20:30...which gives henning plenty of time to organise our free cold beers....

and as i said in a previous post for those wishing to book ahead bookings still haven't opened as the schedules posted up on the gtp site are still waiting for final approval by the authorities..

..and with the rich athenians heading over to their second homes on hydra for the weekend i would think it best for anybody arriving for one of those late ferries on friday to book ahead otherwise it's not really necessary

yammas...ken
Henning

Post by Henning »

The Franz conncection will be on the 8.00 o'clock morning boat then. I never took a boat that early. The winds might be hefty and it's to going to be a real mad ride for us :-)
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

liverpoolken wrote:..and with the rich athenians heading over to their second homes on hydra for the weekend i would think it best for anybody arriving for one of those late ferries on friday to book ahead otherwise it's not really necessary

yammas...ken
I tend to advise people to book ahead only over Greek Easter (5 May this year) or if aiming for the very last ferry of the day. The thing to be aware is that if you miss the departure (flight delay etc) they will not give you a refund, so you need to balance one prospect against the other.

Those going to Hydra for the first time need to know, when estimating the likelihood of a full service, that the capacity of a Flying Cat is very much greater than that of a Flying Dolphin.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

hydriot wrote: The thing to be aware is that if you miss the departure (flight delay etc) they will not give you a refund, so you need to balance one prospect against the other.
hydriot,
Two years ago, when I booked directly with them in advance, I did so as a 'senior'. I don't remember if there was a charge, but I was able to purchase exchangeable or refundable tickets. If there was an extra charge, it was what I considered not too exhorbitant, maybe 2 or 3 extra euros. This allowed us to get on an earlier Dolphin with no problems. Does this sound right to you?
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
anneporter

Water colours with Michael Lawrence on Hydra

Post by anneporter »

Good Morning, Fellow Hydra Travellers,

Would any of you be interested in joining me for a water colour workshop led by Hydra artist Michael Lawrence on Hydra in June? Michael is a well-known and very engaging painter from California who has been living in Kameini for a number of years. I love his bright and free-flowing watercolours (yes, Ken, you might say he has "a touch of the Chagalls"!) See below for some photos and links to his website and some You Tube videos of him painting on Hydra.

I asked if he could spare some time to teach us and he agreed. He has suggested a price of 100 euro per person per full day. I realize that is very steep but we could, perhaps, consider that a starting point for negotiation. He can accommodate 6 students, at any/all levels of skill and experience. (Beginners welcome!) He can offer either a single day or a series of days, date(s) negotiable.

I will be painting with him for sure, likely beginning on Monday June 10th. ( I will be on Hydra from June 6 to 14.)
I think it will be a lot of fun if others join in the painting!

Cheers!
http://www.worksbymichaellawrence.com
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... XQu3pBo7U0
Anne
newfoundland--understand?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What a delightful and unexpected opportunity. I hope many join Michael and you, Anne.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

MaryB wrote:
hydriot wrote: The thing to be aware is that if you miss the departure (flight delay etc) they will not give you a refund, so you need to balance one prospect against the other.
hydriot,
Two years ago, when I booked directly with them in advance, I did so as a 'senior'. I don't remember if there was a charge, but I was able to purchase exchangeable or refundable tickets. If there was an extra charge, it was what I considered not too exhorbitant, maybe 2 or 3 extra euros. This allowed us to get on an earlier Dolphin with no problems. Does this sound right to you?
They have never objected to a passenger taking an earlier hydrofoil. The problem comes if you miss the reserved service and want to take a later departure. I should add this has never happened to me: I am just passing on what I was warned at the ticket-office.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2023, 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”