Looking forward to the Hydra meetup in June 2011

Our biennial Hydra meetups, and the big 2002 Event
liverpoolken

Re: Hydra meetup in June 2011

Post by liverpoolken » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:53 am

click on images to enlarge.....

walk 3......to the monastries of st.matrona and st. triada
3.jpg
walk 4.....to hunta riga ('the edge of riga's nose')
4.jpg
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
hydriot

Post by hydriot » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:35 pm

I have seen this booklet, and although the routes are accurate, the timings (with the exceptions of Hydra to Mandraki) are not. Also, the only 'Easy' routes on the island are from Mandraki, along the coast through Hydra town, to Vlichos and on to Palamidas and up to Episcopi. Away from the coast, the paths rapidly degenerate, and sometimes disappear completely.

For example, it takes at least an hour to walk up to St Nikolaos from Mandraki, because although the winding road is good up to the rubbish dump, higher than that it becomes very stony so that it feels like walking across a beach of pebbles. So don't walk beyond the coast in flip-flops or designer sandals. If you want to climb, bring some proper shoes.

The last time I visited (some years ago) there were a handful of nuns in Efraxias, Matronis and Zourva, and monks in St Nikolaos. All the others are empty. The most interesting nunnery is Zourva, but, after taking donkeys up to the ridge (near St Nicholaos), it still took me four hours to walk to Zourva ... and they close at 1.30pm!

You can also take a water-taxi to Zourva ... if you are happy to climb the 650 steps from the landing stage to the nunnery.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:26 am

hydriot...i couldn't agree with you more concerning the times given for these walks..i would say at least double them or even better triple them to accomodate a leisurely pace..there are one or two very keen walkers coming to the island this year so i thought i would post up some info especially for them......except for maybe participating jarkko's traditional walk i'm afraid the climb up and down all those flippin' stairs to the toilets in Roloi's will be the only hiking i'll be doing this year......remember the knee conversation we once had?...i'm sure any further input from your good self would be much appreciated by our intrepid wallkers....ta ken

walk 5....hydra to zourva
5.jpg
walk 6...hydra to prophet illias and onto mount eros
6.jpg
gallina

Post by gallina » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Taking nordic walking poles would be useful for those steep paths, and very helpful for knees.
But air transport is so complicated... :(
2009 Budapest
2010 Zagreb, Gothenburg, Florence, St. Margarethen, Bratislava, Las Vegas x2

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2012 Ghent x5, Helsinki, Dublin x2, Verona
2013 Roma, Lucca, Vienna, London
2015 Viladrau
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:04 pm

gallina..the is no need to pack your nordic poles as there is an easier option when it comes to struggling up the steep and rocky paths of hydra...jarkko being the thoughtful and caring person that he undoubtably is always provides a special service for forum members during meetups on the island...here is a photo of willy and henning taking full advantage of the service during our last meet up in 2009....ta ken
rick.jpg
Willy

Post by Willy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:47 am

Ken, After the Limo in Las Vegas I'm looking forward to the tour on Hydra in such a luxury "Tours of the Monasteries".
And I'm pleased to see that the tour is 3 time's a day, so I don't have to walk in the early morning.
2008 - Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam.
2009 - Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona.
2010 - 2X Gent, Lille, Las Vegas 2x
2012 - Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona
2013 - Pula, Rotterdam

--www.icantforget.nl--
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:06 pm

willy

i have heard rumours that to enable jarkko and eija to sit back and enjoy their holiday more this year that measures were in hand to gently retire jarkko from his rickshaw duties and to persuade one of the moderators possibly henning to take over between the shafts.......however looking at the latest update this morning of the list of participants i notice that a certain 'young' ..(his word not mine).....tree planter from the kingdom of albert the second is joining us this year...so maybe jarkko's replacement has already been chosen....if indeed the 'young'...his word not mine.... tree planter is coming over to hydra for rickshaw duties i'm sure with a bit of circuit training and fattening up he could possibly make a success of jarkko's rickshaw tours...although it won't quite be the same without jarkko..(insert silly sad smiley face)...ta ken
Laura

Post by Laura » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:58 pm

Hmm, I wonder what you are talking about, Ken? ;-) The only thing I noticed looking on the list today is that in Germany a new and interesting fashion has appeared: people are not christened with names anymore, but only with letters. I wonder if it's gonna spread.

Laura
tip of the lily

Post by tip of the lily » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:43 pm

Dear cohenites,dear hikers,

I am in for a good walk along steep paths.
I have booked my flight on thursday 9th June, so on Friday I can go out walking, I do not need a riksja yet .....
I do not know any of you, but I 'll play my guitar and sing some songs for you all if I manage to find you in Hydra.
I am practising quite a lot of songs, thanks to the site of Maarten Massa and the LC Chords.
However, not all songs are suitable for an acoustic guitar or for amateurs like me.
Are there any other guitarists or singers attending, so that we might study together in Hydra?
I have already asked on this forum if there are people from Holland who do, but got no replies ....
You won't let me sing alone, will you ?

Lydia(from Egmond-Binnen, Holland)
rotterdam 2008
gent 2010
hydra 2011
ghent 2012
amsterdam 2012
brussels 2013
rotterdam 2013
gallina

Post by gallina » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:20 am

Ha ha Ken, you are inredible!!! :D :D :D
That pic is the number one! (I wonder what kind of punishment will Jarkko impose to you for publishing that photo :lol: )

Lydia, I am sure there will be some really good singer on Hydra those days, but certainly not me :roll:
If I start to sing, every creature escapes from the island, even the donkeys. :lol:

But you can count on me in hiking. ;-)

-g-
2009 Budapest
2010 Zagreb, Gothenburg, Florence, St. Margarethen, Bratislava, Las Vegas x2

2011, 2015 Ύδρα
2012 Ghent x5, Helsinki, Dublin x2, Verona
2013 Roma, Lucca, Vienna, London
2015 Viladrau
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:19 am

lydia...relax this is a greek island...all our gossiping and singing takes place late evening until the early hours on the harbour front in rolois so no need for rehearsals everything is very very informal and you will be amongst friends...btw the odd bob dylan song usually goes down well at about 4am. (inserts silly satirical smiley)...ta ken

walk 7.....hydra to vlychos to palamidos
7.jpg
walk 8...hydra to episopi to nisiza
8.jpg
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:33 am

final two walks

click on images to enlarge

walk 9...hydra to episkopi to zogeri
9.jpg
walk 10...hydra to st. mamas to klimaki
10.jpg
lennycohenfan

Post by lennycohenfan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:54 am

by liverpoolken » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:21 am

.....something that may help those visiting the island for the first time......

.....i was having a clear out the other day and came across a booklet giving details of 10 walks on hydra......so just in case i don't make it back up north from astypalea to hydra this year i thought i would post up here one walk at a time....ta ken

so.....starting with the index page.....
Liverpoolken - These posts were oh so helpful to me and very enjoyable to read. I am an avid walker/hiker and truly looking forward to our meet up in June.

Todd
St Louis 2009, Hydra Meet Up 2011, Memphis 2013
lennycohenfan

Post by lennycohenfan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:04 am

Dear cohenites,dear hikers,

I am in for a good walk along steep paths.
I have booked my flight on thursday 9th June, so on Friday I can go out walking, I do not need a riksja yet .....
I do not know any of you, but I 'll play my guitar and sing some songs for you all if I manage to find you in Hydra.
I am practising quite a lot of songs, thanks to the site of Maarten Massa and the LC Chords.
However, not all songs are suitable for an acoustic guitar or for amateurs like me.
Are there any other guitarists or singers attending, so that we might study together in Hydra?
I have already asked on this forum if there are people from Holland who do, but got no replies ....
You won't let me sing alone, will you ?

Lydia(from Egmond-Binnen, Holland)
Lydia - I am truly up for some hikes with steep paths as well. Hopefully, a certain lady friend will also be accompanying me to Hydra. Look forward to meeting you and the rest of our group. Please feel free to serenade us all!

Todd
St Louis 2009, Hydra Meet Up 2011, Memphis 2013
tip of the lily

Post by tip of the lily » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:54 pm

Dear people,
I just returned from a short holiday in the hilly part of my country, Zuid-Limburg.
It was my plan to make long walks, but I got injured on my knee, and as you have to use your knees
when you walk it was a bit frustrating. I hope my knee will be recovered in June.
But I had time to play and sing, and now I can do a lot of Cohen's songs, also thanks to the
little black songbook of Leonard Cohen, Wise publications,70 songs with chords, 2008.
So there will be serenades and aubades for you all.

I'll meet Wybe and Willy before June, and may be the other Dutch ladies as well.

I'm looking forward to go to Hydra!

Lydia
rotterdam 2008
gent 2010
hydra 2011
ghent 2012
amsterdam 2012
brussels 2013
rotterdam 2013

Return to “Hydra Meetups 2019, 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2005 & The Event in 2002”