Recent update

The Madison Event - before and after
Joe Way

Recent update

Post by Joe Way »

Dear friends,

I am so excited about this event. I've been getting inquiries from performers-even one from Iceland from a group called, "The Saints of Boogie Street." We are still working with Anjani to have her perform, it appears that it will be at a beautiful venue in the new Overture Center. We also are talking to Ali Hughes from Sydney, Australia who did a wonderful show at the NYCfringe festival that Esther Cohen attended and loved. We will try to wrap up the great weekend with a casual dance at Great Hall in Memorial Union with a Klezmer band-some one like-"Yid Vicious." It will be a wonderful time. Joe Way
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
lizzytysh

Re: Recent update

Post by lizzytysh »

It's good to see you and hear your updates, Joe.
It sounds better and better all the time... and it started out great from where I sit.
Thanks!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Someone just sent me a link to this article from the New York Times about Madison. I should note that while you can get excellent beer and hamburgers here, there is much more to offer. I have a friend who works at the Machinery Row Bicycle shops and can help anyone out who wants to rent a bike for the beautiful biking experience in Madison.

http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes.com ... -and-a-bb/

Joe
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

Hi Joe
Have been reading up on Madison and getting more and more excited about next year. I may have already told you how I have had Madison in my head as a special place for many years since working in mental health in Sydney in the 1980s and applying the Madison Model of Community Care in a pilot programme. However, I have to say the bikes and beer really help my cause in getting Jim on board.

The music sounds great, really appreciate the work you are doing.

Cheers
BM
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

blonde madonna wrote:Hi Joe
I may have already told you how I have had Madison in my head as a special place for many years since working in mental health in Sydney in the 1980s and applying the Madison Model of Community Care in a pilot programme.
Hi BM
Other than being LC fans most people have a secondary reason for attending the events such as sight seeing .visiting friends and family etc etc but I must say BM your reason is the wackiest I have come across . You will have to stop taking your work home with you !
YL
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

Ok YL
Kicking myself, can absolutely see how that sounds wacky. :oops: What can I say? I was young and idealistic, thought we could change the world. I know better now but I still have that original association. It's the same with Leonard, when I listen to DOLM I am still that 16yo girl. Stupid and sentimental and something I keep to myself most of the time.

2010 -- Melbourne
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Glad you shared it [a major shift in mental health treatment it was]. Glad you're going. Looking forward to meeting you, BM.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

blonde madonna wrote:Ok YL
It's the same with Leonard, when I listen to DOLM I am still that 16yo girl. Stupid and sentimental and something I keep to myself most of the time.
You were lucky BM I did not know of Leonard until way past my teens which has always been a regret to me . Now it's my turn to be stupid what is DOLM ?
YL
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

YL, Death of a Ladies Man, generally regarded as his best album. ;-)

Thanks and ditto for me Lizzytysh.

2010 -- Melbourne
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi BM & YL,
I think "mental health" is a perfect reason to attend the Madison event-in fact I think that the beer will aid in the process. So glad to hear that you are considering attending-it will be great to see you again. Oh, and BM-tell Jim that there are a couple of very good wineries near Madison as well.

All the best to you,

Joe
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi All,
One of Wisconsin's more dubious claims to fame is its connection to the gangster era of such notables as Al Capone and Baby Face Nelson. Here is a link to a recent story about locales in Wisconsin with these connections.

http://www.jsonline.com/features/travel ... 18623.html

For any of you who saw the movie, "Public Enemies" most of the scenes were shot in Wisconsin and the famous shoot-out scene was shot on location at Little Bohemia Resort in Northern Wisconsin. It is about four hours north of Madison by car, but it is a lovely drive into the North woods.

I will also post some information about the Great River Road that runs along the Mississippi River. It is a beautiful, scenic drive from about Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin to Red Wing, Minnesota. If you were to do this, you would be almost to the area where Bob Dylan grew up.

http://www.experiencemississippiriver.c ... r-road.cfm

Joe
Pawel Gorny

Post by Pawel Gorny »

Please check a tentative schedule with possible artists (http://leonardcohenevent.info/the-event-program).

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Madison 2012”