Leonard Cohen Tribute Acts

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
LadyGrinningSoul

Leonard Cohen Tribute Acts

Post by LadyGrinningSoul »

I posted in the news forum about my new novel set on Hydra and featuring a Leonard Cohen tribute artist and Lizzytish said
There's a certain, 'indescribable' something about Hydra that requires you to visit to understand. It should be interesting to see how you do, never having been there. Have you met any Leonard Cohen tribute artists?
I haven't met any no. And haven't heard of any. Do they exist? They must do. Are there any on Hydra? Are there any 'star' tribute acts as in The Strolling Bones and Bootleg Beatles we have here in UK?
LisaLCFan

Re: Leonard Cohen Tribute Acts

Post by LisaLCFan »

Hi,

Since you posted in this thread, you must have noticed that Leonard Cohen tribute acts exist, since this entire section is devoted to them! There will be many links to YouTube videos and such, if you want to hear some of them.

If you go to http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/ you will find loads of information about tribute acts and covers of Leonard's songs (click on "tributes and covers" in the index on the left side). Tribute acts and covers of Leonard Cohen songs seems to be an entire industry unto itself!

I cannot recommend any of them, since I only listen to Leonard Cohen sing Leonard Cohen songs, but others may be able to suggest some of the better ones.

Cheers,
Lisa
LadyGrinningSoul

Thanks for the great link Lisa. I should have made myself clearer. What I'm looking for are tribute 'acts' who don't record but only do live shows as that's the act. There's a huge industry in the UK for bands like The Bootleg Beatles and The Strolling Bones who never record but tour as a facsimile of the real thing. We have a tribute act 'Glastonbury'-like festival dedicated to these artists. So, in my fictional Leonard Cohen on Hydra, he plays a nylon string guitar, has the hat etc. If anybody knows of a good one I'd be really interested to hear about them.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Ah, I know the sort of acts to which you refer! The impersonators, who try to dress and sound like the "real thing." I must say, I shudder at the thought! :lol:
LadyGrinningSoul

Well, hopefully there's a pretty cool one in my novel :D
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

There's this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2piGh4YMigg :lol: LeonardK of Vancouver

Actually, maybe it's just because I've had a glass of wine, or maybe it's out of sheer desperation since there are no LC tour rumors/album news, but I found this to be... not totally horrible. :roll: :lol: He IS overly droning... but I prefer this to a Buckley-esque "pretty" cover of an LC song that changes the sound/feel completely. As far as appearances, he doesn't look much like Leonard, but he's got the shirt/suit look right- even the hand-clench. The fedora is all wrong though- his looks like a light summer fedora and that just won't do. And I'm not impressed with his business skills- if he is really "available to perform at benefits and events" as his info page says----he should put up an actual VIDEO instead of just a still picture with music.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Interesting! First impressions aren't promising as you say, :razz: but the voice is pretty good. I'd hire him for a party if I lived in Vancouver... :idea: Maybe he can play the novel's Canadian launch, movie opening etc etc. Now (*fantasy thoughts racing ahead*) what actor would they get to play the impersonator in the movie, someone who looks more like LC (my character's around 50)..?
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

LadyGrinningSoul,

Maybe the 'Conspiracy of Beards' is what you are looking for. http://conspiracyofbeards.com/
They did perform in the lobby of the Oakland 08 concert.

Esther, I thought you would have mentioned this since you were there. Perhaps you didn't because they don't fit the bill of what LadyGrinningSoul requires?

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Hi Mary, yeah, I didn't mention the Beards because they're not impersonators. They were indeed at the April 09 Oakland shows but I arrived too late - both nights - to see them. I have seen them on YouTube though...and honestly, I'm not a fan of what they do. But I do appreciate their "keeping the songs alive." 8)
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Conspiracy of Beards ha ha. I feel an Arena documentary coming on, or should it be a Monty Python sketch?

In the 'news' section Hydriot's flagged up http://www.keith-james.com/concerts.php, a singer/songwriter touring a Leonard Cohen show. In UK too. Don't think he goes in for the 'act' thing though.

LGS
leonard uk

Post by leonard uk »

I just missed Keith James last year when I noticed he'd been on at a small venue in Suffolk (UK) where I was at the time. On YouTube it's clear he's an excellent guitarist and singer, but in no way a 'copy' or 'lookalike' act.

I'm seriously considering developing my own Leonard Cohen act. I've got the voice (honestly), play guitar to a fair standard, and have huge experience in live performing - my first 'gig' was back in 1966. I'm a bit taller than Leonard, but Jewish and now grey. I have a hat, too.

What do you think. Am I just being indulgent - or would my act actually fill a gap? 'Conspiracy of Beards' are fun, no doubt. LeonardK of Vancouver certainly has something, but I wonder if there's more? If so, why is it not posted somewhere?

I'm writing this while listening to "live in London'. I was there the night it was recorded (7.17.08) and I'm sure I can hear myself shouting in the gaps.

Anyway, let me know if I'm an idiot...

Leonard UK
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

leonard uk wrote: I have a hat, too.
If you have a hat - go for it! Seriously, what have you got to lose - good luck.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Missparticular

Post by Missparticular »

Hello, I was wondering if use knew of any tribute acts who would do a birthday party in Belfast, Northern Ireland?

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”