Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
its4inthemorning

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Post by its4inthemorning »

I am predicting that you (and maybe even your husband) will be fascinated by "Isle of Wight." I don't think I am going out on a limb here.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

its4inthemorning wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:25 pm I am predicting that you (and maybe even your husband) will be fascinated by "Isle of Wight." I don't think I am going out on a limb here.
4--I can't wait. I just checked the tracking, and the package is now in Spokane with expected delivery by Saturday. Finally! I will let you know what we think!
Vickie
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

its4inthemorning wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:25 pm I am predicting that you (and maybe even your husband) will be fascinated by "Isle of Wight." I don't think I am going out on a limb here.
"Fascinated" is a perfect word for it! The long-awaited DVD finally arrived and we watched it last night. It should come as no surprise that I loved it, but your prediction was also correct about my husband. Dave is more visual than I am, so this might have been the first time that he really heard Leonard Cohen. I have been playing him nonstop since January, so he is aware of him, but the DVD got him to stop and listen. Finally, he has a better understanding of why I feel he is so important. Dave also was impressed with LC's guitar playing and all of the logistics of the performance. (That was quite the snarl of electric cords on the floor in the middle of the stage. It's a miracle nobody tripped.) I just loved watching the look on Leonard's face as he sang, and the care he gave every word. I was mesmerized. I also loved the feature of being able to cue up any of the songs from the menu on the DVD, because I just had to see The Stranger Song again!
Vickie
its4inthemorning

We listened to rather than viewed "Isle of Wight" the other day (the product I bought had a CD as well a a DVD), and it had me hoping I wasn't wrong about how you two would receive it. (I very much relish being right, but it doesn't happen as frequently as I would wish.)

While you were viewing "Isle" a friend and I watched a DVD of a Pink Floyd concert circa 1994. My wife was out with friends, so we could play it as loud as it was meant to be played. The difference between Pink's intensity and LC's subtlety couldn't be greater, but a little variety is always welcome.

I shouldn't tell you this, but I feel you are disciplined enough to not let it cause you to abandon your disciplined chronological approach to discovering LC: Imagine a considerably longer concert than "Isle" showcasing twelve albums worth of songs instead of three, performed by the same person 35 years older but just as captivating, and accompanied by just the right musicians. That would be the "Live in London" concert!

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

its4inthemorning wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:40 pm I shouldn't tell you this, but I feel you are disciplined enough to not let it cause you to abandon your disciplined chronological approach to discovering LC: Imagine a considerably longer concert than "Isle" showcasing twelve albums worth of songs instead of three, performed by the same person 35 years older but just as captivating, and accompanied by just the right musicians. That would be the "Live in London" concert!
Funny you would say that. Disciplined is a word people often use to describe me, but I tell them not to think it isn't hard fought!

Thank you for the recommendation to watch Live from London. I have heard the same from LisaLCFan on the forum, so I have ordered it, along with Songs from the Road. Rest assured, I will try to wait and watch both at the right time. I still haven't seen the DVD I'm Your Man, and I am only now considering opening New Skin for the Old Ceremony. Restraint is never easy, but discovering Leonard Cohen is like any other pleasure, you want to go slower so you can fool yourself that it will never end.

Yes, Pink Floyd is best listened to at volume! I saw them at the Seattle Coliseum in 1975 when I was 15 and had no business being there. .... (I like to listen to Leonard Cohen loud too!)

Thanks again... will let you know what I think of that 4th album Like each of his albums after his first, I am scared to open it.
Vickie
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

I have been listening to New Skin for the Old Ceremony and of course, I didn't need to be afraid.

My first impression was one of overwhelming surprise. I had read mixed reviews and wasn’t expecting much. I guess I need to get over that. I like him so much already, that I doubt any of his work will ever disappoint me. Still, I am not sure why I didn’t hear more good things about this album when I read Simmon’s biography (?). I can’t remember who told him (paraphrasing) “Everyone talks about your lyrics but, the tunes are pretty good too.” I can see why they said that. I loved the melodies from the first 2 albums and especially loved the music in Songs of Love and Hate. Still, I was surprised by how much I liked the ‘tunes’ in this one. I am a big fan of the blues, so of course loved Is This What You Wanted and the other bluesy songs. Chelsea Hotel No. 2 and others were more familiar, but I was most happy with the music on Lover, Lover, Lover!. I especially loved the way he sang "enemy" in the final verse. It reminded me of when he sang "blueprint" on Songs of the Street which I loved so much.

His lyrics are why I am here though, and I don’t see that ever changing. This album’s lyrics are no exception. I know he had a purpose and a thought for every word, and everyone’s interpretation is their own. So I won’t go there, except to mention how much I loved “I can’t keep track of every fallen robin” in Chelsea Hotel No. 2, the entire final stanza of I Tried To Leave You, and “whatever useless things these hands have done” in Take This Longing. I could go on of course.

And his voice, which makes you feel like you know him.
Vickie
its4inthemorning

Vickie, it took me some time before I fully appreciated "New Skin," you are evidently a more perfect fan!

A few random comments:

Lover, Lover, Lover--It is interesting how, once you've heard this song several times, your brain learns that "lover" MUST be repeated seven times. not six, not eight, but exactly seven. I've read (somewhere on this forum) that the lover he is referring to is the state of Israel.

There is a War--Only Mr. Cohen could put this lyric in a song: "There is a war between the ones who say there is a war and the ones who say there isn't."

I Tried to Leave You--There's a lot here in just three short verses (81 words if you're counting). This was typically played at or near the end of the concerts I attended, and he used it to showcase everyone in the band with short solos. Here is a link to him performing it in Paris in 2012 (thanks to the great videographer Albert Noonan of Dublin):

https://youtu.be/V-1SWQFAYVY

Bask in this, and the three previous, albums for awhile more, your next assignment, "Death of a Ladies' Man," will be a challenge.

vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

its4inthemorning wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:33 pm .....Lover, Lover, Lover--It is interesting how, once you've heard this song several times, your brain learns that "lover" MUST be repeated seven times. not six, not eight, but exactly seven.

Bask in this, and the three previous, albums for awhile more, your next assignment, "Death of a Ladies' Man," will be a challenge.
Well thank you for that. Now I will be counting how many times he sings "lover" every time I hear it, haha.

Loved the video clip but mostly for him. I have never been a fan of artists showcasing their band members during a performance. If they are good, we already know it, and to be so obvious takes away from the integrity of the song, but his people are VERY good! He is kind to share the glory with them. Thank you for sharing it. I try to stay away from watching videos of him, at least for now, because I am always tempted to click on the songs they show waiting in the list to the right and there are many I haven't heard yet. I know I am safe to watch the ones you recommend though, so thank you!

I have been dreading "Death of a Ladies' Man" ever since I read the story of its production in Simmons' biography. I have never been a fan of Phil Spector and except for the drinking couldn't understand what LC had in common with him. None of us get through life without making our share of mistakes. I will definitely be doing as you suggest and basking in the first 4 albums for a bit before I tackle that one.

Will keep in touch. Thanks again for being willing to give me feedback.
Vickie
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

vlcoats wrote:...I have been dreading "Death of a Ladies' Man" ever since I read the story of its production in Simmons' biography ...
Be afraid. Be very afraid! :twisted:
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:13 am Be afraid. Be very afraid! :twisted:
Eek! When the times come, I will try to make it quick and painless like ripping off a band-aid.

I have a quick question. Can anyone tell me what "4 experimental music videos based on Cohen songs" are on the DVD "Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Leonard Cohen"? I am getting it from Netflix, and although I know it is about his poetry and not his music, Netflix describes it as having the 4 music videos on it. I know this sounds silly, but I don't want to see any of his music that I haven't yet heard on his albums. Am I safe to watch this?

Another note about "New Skin..." , I played the CD for my husband and interestingly enough, he said he liked it the best of the four albums I have played for him so far. The poor man has been very patient with my listening to nothing but Leonard Cohen since I finished Simmons' biography. I am constantly getting an LC song stuck in my head and going around all day humming it without being aware of it until my husband points it out. Not to mention imparting LC trivia to him at every turn. Here's to amazing men!

Thanks for your help all!
Vickie
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

vlcoats wrote:...I have a quick question. Can anyone tell me what "4 experimental music videos based on Cohen songs" are on the DVD "Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Leonard Cohen"? I am getting it from Netflix, and although I know it is about his poetry and not his music, Netflix describes it as having the 4 music videos on it. I know this sounds silly, but I don't want to see any of his music that I haven't yet heard on his albums. Am I safe to watch this? ...
If this is the same DVD that I have, three of the videos ("short films" technically) called "Poen", "A Kite is a Victim" and "Angel", predate the albums (although you will recognise the instrumental music in one of them, as you will have heard it already!), so you'd be quite safe to watch those. The one called "I'm Your Man" is based on the song of the same name, from the album of the same name, which you have yet to get to, so you may wish to hold off on that for now.

The main film is quite wonderful, I hope you enjoy it!
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Hello---This is MIchael B. I'm new here but I've been listening to and been enthralled by Leonard Cohen for 48 years. He's always soothed me and gotten me through difficult times. I cherished each new album of his. I have a core of favorite songs but always return to So long Marianne. Have heard it perhaps 100 times but never tire of it.The world is a far better place for his having been in it. He'll forever be with us in his magnificent music.
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Hello again!

I am not a coward usually, but I have yet to listen to the 5th album. I am still enjoying the first four. I keep getting (a little) obsessed with different songs. So I listened to "Joan of Arc" 6 times one day and "Lover, Lover, Lover" 4 times on another. Bits and pieces of of lyrics from other songs pop up in my head all the time. Not weird, right? ;-)

Loved "Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Leonard Cohen"! It was fun to see him so young and even sometimes goofy. I will have to watch it again and pay better attention to the poetry. I was distracted by him. My husband said he reminded him of Peter Sellers (of all people). It was because he often looked preoccupied and almost aloof, like he was listening to the conversation, but he was hearing something else or thinking of something else entirely. But then, he would suddenly become completely present and crack a warm smile. I think that is what I liked best about the DVD-- seeing him smile so genuinely and so often. His little crooked smile was disarming. He was especially faraway when reciting his poetry. I loved the one about sending in the raven before the dove! Definitely need to hear it again.

As always.... thank you LisaLCFan and its4inthemorning.... and "Welcome!" to MichaelB-- you said you have been listening to LC for 48 years. Lucky duck.

Vickie
its4inthemorning

Hello Vickie,

Understand the cold feet regarding moving to "Death of a Ladies' Man."

You mentioned enjoying LC's smile. In concert during the final years (these are the only ones we attended), we always relished the magic of his smile, sometimes upon completing a song, but quite often in response to another band member's performance as a way of saying, "that was perfect." What made the concerts complete was the feeling that everyone on stage was genuinely enjoying him/herself and, at least on that night, would rather be no where else on the planet.

Has spring arrived yet in Idaho? Here our last (really only) snow has just about melted away, things should start to green up any day.

Regards,

vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Good morning 4,

I don't remember him smiling much during the Isle of Wight concert, at least not one of those grins, but I would have to watch it again to be sure. Never having been clinically depressed, I often wonder about his depression and how it lifted later in life. Did it have anything to do with his self medication or was it just age and maturity? Obviously music and writing helped.

Yes, spring is here! We are in the valley of the river which protects us from the heavier snows up on the Palouse. but this year, we had more than our share. The snow has been gone for a couple weeks; the daffodils have bloomed and lilacs are sprouting. Spring doesn't come without it's price though. Along with the flowers are the weeds and the chores that come with having a little farm (6.5 acres). Planting, irrigating, mowing, painting, and cleaning up the mess of winter. Since moving here, I have a renewed appreciation for fall and winter... but who can resist spring really?

I will let you know when I take the plunge into "Death..." :)

Vickie

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”