Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

Post by jarkko »

I finally merged some pages from "I'm New to The Forum" thread to the beginning of this thread!
Jarkko
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
B4real

Post by B4real »

Good Idea, Jarkko! It tells a fuller story now. Thank you!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Thank you Jarkko!! How nice that our conversation is no longer split up between two threads. It’s great to be able to look back on it all in one fell swoop. I hope I have an opportunity to meet you one day Jarkko, as I am already in your debt. Although I haven’t allowed myself to look through everything yet because of my stubbornness in sticking to chronological order, I know that this forum and the entire site wouldn’t be here if not for you. So thank you so much for both.

B4 and 4, sorry I haven’t been able to post in the past few days. As you know, we have a 10-year-old for a few weeks this summer, and our son is getting married July 7th… things are getting a little crazy! Listening to Leonard has kept me sane (especially on the 3 hour car trip back from the amusement park this weekend!).

I finally was able to view all of the Live in London DVD, so here is The Good the Bad and the Awesome...

First of all the “Bad”... The only bad is a personal thing and not related to any critique of the DVD or the concert. It’s that I haven’t been able to view the video all in one sitting! I wanted to share it with my husband but with a 10 year old in the house, we had to watch it in pieces. It’s been a true test of my discipline (aka: stubbornness) in not pushing the experience. But this time, it has frustrated the heck out of me, and maybe I should have just gone to the other room and watched it by myself and left them to play Minecraft!

The “Good”... I have to confess that much of the good is also the result of having a 10-year-old in the house. He had so many questions and comments. "How long has this guy been singing?", “I can tell you like this song best", then "No, this is the song you like best.", “That song wasn’t very appropriate.” (a word he has heard often here, as in ‘yes you can watch TV, as long as it’s appropriate’), "Why does he keep letting the girls sing, he is the main man.”, "I know this song!” (Hallelujah), “He isn’t blinking.” (The Gypsy’s Wife), “Is he going to open his eyes in this song?” (Hallelujah again), and in the end, the hardest one-- "Are you sad that he died?"

As for the “Awesome”… that would be all 2 hours and 37 minutes. I loved this video. So different from the 2 earlier videos I have seen, but some things were the same. I recognized the crooked smile I first saw in Ladies and Gentlemen… Mr. Leonard Cohen, and like in Isle of Wight, he had the audience in the palm of his hand. I was worried that now that he was older, I would find a lack of fire and passion in his performance. I was wrong!
My favorites were Bird on the Wire (I loved his voice in this one so much...but did he mess up when he said, "I thought a liar... I thought a lover had to be some kind of liar too"?), The Gypsy’s Wife, I’m Your Man (this one is stuck in my head again big time now), and Take this Waltz. I loved Javier Mas and although I can usually take or leave the drums, I really liked Ravael Bernardo Gayol. I also loved the Webb sisters as back up. For personal reason, I liked Wither Thou Goest at the end. Even though everyone knows I am not overly religious, I have been asked to share a reading from the Torah at our son's wedding next week, and I have chosen the very passage from the Book of Ruth that they closed the concert with.
Even better than all of those things was the recitation of A Thousand Kisses Deep, which I know I will be watching over and over. (However, next time I watch this DVD, it’s going to be all of the way through without a break!) Oh, and one more awesome thing about this video is that my husband enjoyed it more than I thought he would, so that it made it even better for me.

Next week is the wedding, people from Canada and Arizona and Oregon, and as much as I love my family and am excited to see my son join together our family with a new family from Arizona, I will be taking my headphones and my supply of Leonard Cohen to keep me sane when it is all too much for me. (You understand, I know.)

Not sure if I will be opening Popular Problems before we go or when we return... I am feeling a need to ruminate on the music so far. Like I said, it settles me down and fires me up both.

Thanks again!
Vickie
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Vickie, have been waiting to hear what you thought about "Live In London." As ridiculous as this may sound now, the delay had me thinking that somehow you were disappointed, which I would never be able to understand.

"Live In London" is extremely representative of what we saw in the concerts we attended, except of course the addition of songs from "Old Ideas." As LC prepared to tour again after the long layoff, he evidently spent a lot of time with the songs, not only reacquainting himself with the lyrics and guitar work, but also with the question of what exactly he should be doing on stage during each song, both as he performed and when others were performing. I guess this is called choreography, but I hesitate to use that word, it makes it sound like everything was in some way phony. Yes, LC always interacted with Javier when it came to "the monkey and the plywood violin" in "First We Take Manhattan," always made a wry comment when the audience applauded his keyboard work in "Tower of Song," always used similar words when acknowledging the band members in "Anthem," etc. But as I was told in one of my first jobs when I questioned the practice of reusing portions of written analyses prepared for one client in work for other clients, "if you were happy with what you wrote for the first client, why do you feel you need to reinvent the wheel for subsequent clients?" In the same sense, why would LC feel any need to change everything for each concert, especially when only a relatively small number of people would attend multiple concerts?

Somewhere I read that when he considered the idea of touring again, he had a great fear of being on stage and not remembering lyrics. Maybe a little fear is a good thing, because blunders were very rare in the 350-plus performances in the final tours. Yes, you caught one in "Live In London" in "Bird on the Wire," and I know of two other glitches from this forum; one was forgetting a lyric in "So Long Marianne" (which was hilarious since the next line was, "you make me forget so very much") and the second was forgetting--twice--a lyric in "Closing Time." Given the number of songs and poems he wrote and the myriad of verses that never made the final cut, I think it is truly amazing that his concerts were as flawless as they were. Evidently some performers routinely use teleprompters, but not LC even given his advanced years.

I loved it when you told us of the questions that your nephew asked when viewing "Live In London," he seems like a perceptive fellow. Even after you have enjoyed the luxury of watching it several more times without distraction, I bet you will always recall some of those innocent questions at the points in the concert your nephew posed them.

I never tire of watching LC acknowledge the band at the end of "Anthem," it just seems so natural, like for him not do so would be offensive. The first concert we saw was in December 2010, it was the second-to-last concert in the 2008-2010 extended tour, and no one, including LC, knew whether there would be any more tours after 2010. LC made some very poignant comments before starting "Anthem," and later in the song his introduction of Rafael was hilarious (in preceding concerts he started and advanced a running diatribe about Raphael, which culminated here). The video is by Arlene Dick, one of LC's most devoted fans, who sadly passed away a year or two back. I am posting a link here, unfortunately the quality ebbs at some points, but I still love to watch it.

https://youtu.be/WeQn25FxCaw

Hope you have a great time at the wedding!

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Vickie, I know you are very busy at the moment and I think you haven’t seen this I posted over the previous page.
I know you really wanted this film - The Song Of Leonard Cohen by Harry Rasky.
B4real wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:54 am
vlcoats wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:51 pm I tried to search for the film "The Song of LC 1979" by Harry Rasky in hopes of finding a video I could order of it, but nope!
Vickie, if you haven't already seen it click on the forum link below and you can download it.
Hopefully your new satellite connection will allow that to happen.
Maarten has very kindly once again made it available until 2nd July.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9746&start=60#p365467
4 and Vickie, I thought I should mention that Bird On The Wire line, “It's just that I thought a lover had to be some kind of liar too” has been sung very many times over the years in concerts from 1970 to 2013. I was recently reminded that on at least one occasion he substituted the word "coward" instead of the usual "liar". There are other different repeated lines as well for that song.

I always enjoy reading what both of you have to say but I’m really pressed for time at the moment so all the best to you both for now.
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

its4inthemorning wrote:... the delay had me thinking that somehow you were disappointed, which I would never be able to understand.

Glad to let you know that was not the case. I can’t imagine LC's concerts were ever a disappointment unlike other artists I have seen.
My apologies to any other Dylan fans out there, but as much as I loved him (and still do), I was disappointed more than once when I saw him live. It was maddening to only recognize a favorite song half way through because he had redesigned it, or because the sound was so muddied, and with him mumbling on top of that, I couldn’t even hear the words. I understand artistic license and all that, but when you care enough to save your hard-earned money to get the best seats you can afford to see your favorite artist in person, it is belittling when they don’t get that and treat the time as theirs and not yours. I tried to justify his right to interpret his songs however he wants because he wrote them, but never quite was able. Maybe LC himself did something like that in concert on occasion, but he didn’t do it in Live in London.

As for remembering all of the words without any help of teleprompter or anything, he did awesome with that. I am not too surprised though. From what I have read, he was so meticulous about the final version of his songs that they must have felt burned into his brain when he was done.

Thank you also for the Anthem link! I loved the personal talk with his audience and hearing everyone’s responses.
B4real wrote:Vickie, I know you are very busy at the moment and I think you haven’t seen this I posted over the previous page. I know you really wanted this film - The Song Of Leonard Cohen by Harry Rasky.
Thank you B4!! I didn’t miss it but read your post and forgot about it! (yes, busy here!) Thank you for the reminder so I could get it while it is available. I just downloaded the 3 files, and it didn’t take too long and it worked!!! I will watch it during our quiet hour, also known as mandatory reading hour (I am a mean auntie).

Thanks again!
Vickie
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

B4-

I just had to post to say how much I love the film by Rasky. I love watching all the live performances and hearing LC's thoughts and seeing the old photos and just the whole thing is awesome, it is really perfect, and I could watch it all day long for a week. Thank you again so much!

And just another snippet from my nephew.... Yesterday, we were listening to LC (of course) while working outside, and I asked what he thought of the song. He said, "Is this Leonard?" as if already on first name basis with him, haha. I told him yes that it was, and he said, "His voice is a lot different" and then after thinking for a moment, he added, "I like it better deep, like in the movie we saw." Which just goes to show that Lisa may have been right (I think it was Lisa, but it might have been you, B4?) when she said that some of us fall in love with LC at a certain point in his career, and that time is usually our favorite from then on.

Vickie
B4real

Post by B4real »

Vickie, I’m glad to hear that! I knew you would really like it and I didn’t want you to miss out. As I said before, it’s an absolute favourite of mine as is of the same era, the Recent Songs album! I meant to say before that in Rasky's film there are two other different lines for Bird On The Wire and he does repeat them over time in a lot of concerts as well: “like a monk bending over the book, It was the shape, the shape of our love (that) twisted me”. Here’s another different varying line from the earlier concerts, “I have saved/broken all my sorrows for/on thee”. In fact, if you go back and watch the Isle of Wight DVD again you will see both the “I have saved all my sorrows for thee” as well as "I thought a lover had to be some kind of liar too" lines. Plus there are other interesting lines for BOTW repeated in varying forms as well over the years.

And it was Lisa, who said that about a person’s favourite time but I can definitely agree with that statement and other unexpected reasons :)

Your nephew seems to be very observant about LC and wise beyond his years!

EDIT: This 50 sec clip of Memories on a bus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1swfTpIrwZc is said to be from Rasky’s film but it’s not clear to me that it is. It seems to be filmed by Austrian ORF 2 live TV. I'm sure it’s from 1979-80 and somewhere in Austria, Germany or Switzerland - maybe in a city on the way to the concert. It’s different to the touring highway bus on my Rasky film where LC and the band sing an unidentified hymn-like song with some of the group reading from notes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFOjTVCPBjY If someone could tell me the name of that hymn-like song I would be most grateful! It may be a different bus but it’s the same brown leather jacket for Leonard – he was rather attached to it, so to speak! Besides that, they look like they’re having fun!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Hi B4!

Thank you for noting the additional lyrics of BOTW. I wish some of them had been included in the studio version, especially the monk one. Like you, I love the era of LC's life that is recorded in the Lasky film and the live performances at that time. He appears in his prime to me.

I recognize the second clip you posted in your edit, but not so sure of the first either, but you are right that he really seems to be having a great time (that smile!). I am going to watch the film over again with my husban (I think he will really appreciate it) and will watch for that 50-second clip.

I was reflecting on how Leonard would re-write his songs/poems over and over, because this weekend I have been trying to write an introduction to the reading I have been asked to do at my son's wedding. I only have 3-5 minutes to speak, including the reading, but I have spent hours and days trying to find the right combination of words. I go through this same agony whenever I try to write just about anything. So funny that in the album I am on now, LC calls himself "a lazy bastard living in a suit". His work was anything but easy!

Vickie
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi Vickie, seeing that you are listening to Popular Problems and have a few days left before the wedding I thought I might just squeeze in this info for you. Plus I have complied with your request in May about another thing near the bottom of this post ;-)

I did say previously that I didn’t count the last two albums including this one Popular Problems for songs not played in concert. Actually Born In Chains was played at a lot of concerts. Also, A Street was recited visually as a poem in Toronto 2006 and My Oh My at two audio soundchecks in Ghent 2010. Another poem Nevermind from Book of Longing 2006 was sung on this album.

How Born In Chains was “re-born” :) .... Taken Out Of Egypt/ I Can’t Forget/Born In Chains.
This is an excerpt from a 1988 interview in Musician Magazine with LC referring to I Can’t Forget:
"That song started off as a song about the exodus of the Hebrew people from Egypt. As a metaphor for the journey of the soul from bondage into freedom. It started out, I was born in chains but I was taken out of Egypt / I was bound to a burden but the burden it was raised / Lord I can no longer keep this secret / Blessed is the name, the name be praised. It went on like that for a long, long time, and I went into the studio and tried to sing this song about how 'I was born in chains and I was taken'... But I wasn't born in chains and I wasn't taken out of Egypt, and not only that, but I was on the edge of what was going to become a very serious nervous breakdown. So I hadn't had the burden lifted and the whole thing was a lie! It was wishful thinking. And this song, 'Taken Out of Egypt', took months and months to write. Nobody believes me when I say these things but I have the notebooks and I don't fill them in an evening. And there were many of them. So it wasn't as if I had an endless supply of songs: I had to start over. And I was saying to myself, 'What is my life?' and that's when I started writing that lyric: I stumble out of bed / I got ready for the struggle / I smoked a cigarette / And I tightened up my gut / I said this can't be me / Must be my double / And I can't forget / I can't forget / But I don't remember what. That was really true."

I think you’ve seen the DVD of I'm Your Man. In it Leonard mumbles some lines from Born In Chains.

First time in concert Salzburg 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv6aZ945StQ
Thank you Maarten for the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhSIVIERtxA
A Street
(audio only – vision one not online anymore and neither is the My Oh My audio soundcheck)

From memory on first listen to this album Did I Ever Love You, Samson In New Orleans and You Got Me Singing grabbed my attention first. I prefer the first one but as you know, before you know it, with each listen that can change!

DNA
B4real wrote: And it is a curious coincidence that you were just talking about DNA because a few days ago I sent back my own sample – should take 6-8 weeks for the results. My brother who is almost identical in looks to Alex (LC’s last violinist) has just showed me his results and they inspired me to do it. They are Scandinavian, Great Britain, Europe East and West, Finland/North West Russia, Greece/Italy and the Iberian Peninsula. Like most Aussies we are a mix of many nationalities. It will be interesting to see how mine vary with his in % etc.
Vickie wrote: It sounds like you Aussies are mutts like your North American counterparts! I guess it doesn’t really matter where we are from, but there is something comforting about knowing your history. And so interesting! It fires the imagination. Our results took over 8 weeks to get back. It is weird how the % mix can be different in siblings. I don’t understand it all, even though the science teacher at the school I work at tried to explain it to me. You will have to update us on what your mix is when you receive it!
I just received my DNA results! They are similar to my brother’s for the first four countries with a variance of plus or minus 5% to 16% in three of them but the surprise is that though not a major component I am just over double his % for Finland/northwest Russia and I don’t have any trace whatsoever of the last three names! And yes, we do have the same genetic parents! Very interesting to have done this test!
by its4inthemorning » Sun May 21, 2017 6:22 pm
Now you two have done it, talking about this DNA testing! Curiosity is getting to me, maybe I will follow through with a test of my own. Another thing to add to my to-do list.
Vickie wrote: And 4! , now you have to tell us your DNA results if you do it. My husband's were much more purebred than my own. His was over 60% Great Britain (Welsh). Although while my connection was "Very Likely" to the "French Settlers Along the St. Lawrence", his connection was only rated as "Possible" to his "Genetic Community" of "Settlers of Southeastern New York". I find the genetic community part most interesting. We used Ancestry.com by the way.
Yeah 4!...it's your turn now :)
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Hi B4!

I actually haven't opened Popular Problems yet, but a little background info won't hurt me ;-) . (I will save the video clips until after I listen to the album). I'm am so distracted by the wedding right now, that I might wait until we get back (I am taking it with me though, just in case). I have all of the other albums I have heard so far on my phone, so I am prepared for the trip, lol. I wish there would be someone at the wedding who listens to Leonard also, maybe my uncle or cousins from Canada, but I am not going to hold my breath. I think often of what 4 said regarding his count of the people he knows who like or do not like Leonard and how many had not even heard of him or were openly hostile about him.

I hope you know B4, that your extensive knowledge adds much to this experience. I would say you should write a book, but I know that you are. Writing a book can't be easy, but you have chosen a very fun subject, so that should ease the burden. Thank you for the quote referring to Born in Chains/I Can't Forget. It is amazing how long it took him sometimes to complete a song. I really do appreciate his integrity. I know he worked hard at it and struggled with it often, but in the end he had something he could stand by, and us with him. Obviously it was worth it to him, but I wonder if he knew that it was all worth it in our eyes too.

Your DNA results are interesting! Isn't it amazing that you have the same parents, yet your DNA is so different from your brother's? I assume that identical twins would have the same DNA, but for the rest of us, it is a crap shoot. I love knowing what my mix is. And yes, it is your turn now 4!! We are getting my son and his bride a gift certificate for Ancestry.com so they can run their DNA as well. Nick was born in Peru and although he has been with me since he was 5 weeks old, I don't have much info about his birth parents. This will help fill in some blanks for him. His fiance is also Hispanic, but you would never know it by looking at her, so her results should be interesting also.

Thanks again for your input and thoughts and all of the great info you share!
Vickie
Edited for PS- Listening to Leonard's voice as he gets older.. and especially now with Old Ideas, I have to say how thankful I am and comforting it is to know that I will have him to guide me and to listen to when I am in my own old age.
its4inthemorning

Was holding this comment until we got to Popular Problems, but since that subject is about to be addressed, I will post it now:

You Got Me Singing: Upon the first listen I knew this would be among my very favorite LC songs, and it is, right up there even with the very old classics like Stranger Song, Avalanche, Marianne, etc. Very simple lyrics, but yet so deep, plus the component that (I think) is missing from so much music today--a great tune. In its entirety it seems to be LC's way of bringing his life and world full circle; despite all the evil and the pain humanity always decides, in the end, to look forward.

Vickie & other compatriots, happy Independence Day, and B4, a belated happy Australia Day!

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

its4inthemorning post wrote: Was holding this comment until we got to Popular Problems....
Okay fine... I will listen to Popular Problems now! :D It appears to be time, lol. You and B4 make it sound so good, that now I don't want to wait.
its4inthemorning post wrote:Vickie & other compatriots, happy Independence Day, and B4, a belated happy Australia Day
Same to you 4! And happy Canada Day! It was July 1st. :-D
Vickie
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Wow. I can see why both of you (B4 and 4) were ready for me to get to Popular Problems. This album is awesome (!), from the first song to the last!

I love it when he starts off with a really strong track and this one did that (Slow). In fact, he book ended this album with a strong final track as well with You Got Me Singing (which is a song I feel was written just for me).

Even as much as I love them both, my very favorite was smack dab in the middle of the album…Did I Ever Love You (I am with B4 on this one). I love the rawness of his voice and the pickup in the beat as the backup singers come in and the slowing back down when he sings again. I love all of the lyrics, and how he talks about the natural cycles of the trees, and any song with November in it is special to me (it is my favorite month at the beginning of my favorite season for selfish reasons, I was born on the last day). The line I like best in this song is the simple “You don’t need to answer…”

But this album has so many great parts.
The lines "A husband leads and a wife commands…. They’re blood to me, they’re dust to you” in Nevermind and the haunting Arabic in that one.
The guitar picking and the sweet, sweet melody that 4 speaks of in You Got Me Singing. As I said I feel this one was written for me because the lyrics say how I have come to feel about Leonard Cohen himself. "You got me singing, like a prisoner in a jail..."
Another strong favorite is My Oh My, for the inflection in his voice as he sings the title words.

Last but not least in my favorite things about this album are the photos in the CD booklet itself; Leonard shining his shoes. What simple images, but they speak volumes and bring out so many thoughts on who Leonard Cohen is.

Of all of his albums so far, except maybe the first one, this one makes me more emotional than any other. Maybe because I know I have only one to go, and it is hard on my heart to see the light burning so bright when I know it will so soon go out. Actually, I take that back-- I know his light will never truly go out, but I think you know what I mean. I love how hard he tried to say what he wanted to say and how good he was at it, and I love that his talent was so great and so much a part of who he was that it never left him. It has brought me closer to myself in so many ways.

Thanks for listening and for giving me someone to talk about Leonard to. My donkeys are good listeners but they are lacking in the feedback department.

Vickie
its4inthemorning

Now I am in a mode where I am listening to Popular Problems incessantly. I do not know why, but I hadn't listened to it in quite some time. It is rare that an album--any album--would not contain a song that I would think was noticeably inferior to the others, but that is the case here. No weak links. (Even with SOLAH, my favorite LC album, there was one song--Diamonds in the Mine--that did not totally agree with me.)

If I recall, Patrick Leonard had a lot to do with the music on Popular Problems. That was a perfect collaboration I think, it is sad that time ran out and they could not work together on future projects. It is very interesting how, over the years, Leonard allowed many different people to strongly influence his music as he went from album to album (I guess that would be better written as, 'album..........to..........album"), and how the results (except for DOALM) still let his lyrics shine through.

Wish I could discuss LC's work more eloquently like Vickie and B4, but I have had to write a lot in my career, and it was all objective, black-and-white, here-are-the-facts writing. This makes subjective writing a bit difficult for me any more.

Vickie, a question: Did you ever manage to get an LC song included in the wedding reception? Is it too late to add You Got Me Singing?

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”