coming back to you

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Tamaraz

coming back to you

Post by Tamaraz »

Hi everyone!

Does anyone else see this as a song about turning back to God? Especially the stanza about all the others who put aside their pride and therefore get chosen...

Thanks!

Tamaraz
Steven

Re: coming back to you

Post by Steven »

Hi Tamaraz,

I too take the song as having to do with return to God. Also, I hear it as having another meaning, one
having to do with a relationship with another person. The setting aside of pride is among the stronger
elements supporting a religion-based interpretation of it (Psalm 51:17, etc.). Probably most people
believe the song to be primarily or exclusively connected to an interpersonal relationship.
holydove

Post by holydove »

I also think Coming Back To You is addressed to both God & woman, sometimes alternately & sometimes at once. Leonard himself has said that this song is the "ultimate confusion of God & woman" (I don't remember where he said that - it might be in Harry Rasky's film, The Song of Leonard Cohen, or it might be in the transcript of an interview - but I remember he said it).

I also think it's interesting that Coming Back To You & If It Be Your Will are the two songs that were given to the Webb sisters (with their "angelic harmonies") during the last tour, & I think it's pretty clear that If It Be Your Will is addressed to God; & both songs have a theme of the narrator's inability to speak. So I think there is a connection between these two songs, which I might not have noticed if they weren't the two songs given to the Webb Sisters for live performance.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi holydove,

Interesting observation. Hadn't made a connection between the two songs; I'll go with your conclusion. :)

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”