L.C. Song Hunt

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Steven

Re: L.C. Song Hunt

Post by Steven »

Hi LisaLCFan,

Before your second post, thought it might be "One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong" because of the
words "I suppose that he froze." Those words could be applied to the condition of stagefright,
which can be a reason for a classical guitarist to cancel his recital. Then came the second
post. "You Got Me Singing" contains "Halleujah," the title of another song. Couldn't
find anything there, though, that answers the question. I'm stumped. Good question.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Hi Steven,

Great guesses, especially the line from "One Of Us Cannot be Wrong" -- I hadn't thought of that, however, it is not the right line! Even if he overcame stage-fright, my classical guitarist couldn't play (or at least, not well enough for the show to go on, if he is serious about his technique).

Here's another clue: the song in which my line can be found also contains another line that has very similar words and imagery to a line from "Banjo".

Cheers,
Lisa
B4real

Post by B4real »

Ah Lisa, maybe this is what you want :)

Ah his fingernails, I see they're broken ~ Sing Another Song, Boys
(he needs long ones and just the opposite to a violinist with short nails ;-) )

Similar lines:
It’s a broken banjo bobbing
On the dark infested sea ~ Banjo

it's floating broken on the open sea, look out there, my friends,
and it carries no survivors. ~ SASB

Other line in SASB containing the other title song:
but kindly leave, leave The Future

(have a good sleep!)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

You got it Bev, in fact, all of them! Congratulations! :D

Of course, the guitarist needs short nails for the fretting hand, but they must be long(er) on the plucking hand, and it can genuinely be a catastrophe when they break! (I play classical guitar, thus my biased question for the game!). By the way, how is your violin playing going? I've not been around here much, but I do recall that you took up the instrument a few years ago.

Anyway, over to you, now!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks Lisa :D

Speaking of songs with other song titles in their verses – with the studio album songs there are over 50 examples and double that with the unofficial ones. Goes to show that LC has a certain combination of words he favours!

Yes, I was generalising about hands and nails for both guitar and violin. I remember you saying back in 2011 that you just started learning the guitar so that’s really wonderful to reach that standard – and I know it doesn’t come without many hours of practice – good for you! My violin playing is not quite virtuoso level yet :razz: .... probably only a thousand years to go! Anyway, playing a musical instrument is so good for our brain neuroplasticity!

Now as fate would have it, here’s a question I prepared earlier ... in fact, just a few days ago on Wed Aug 10th and here’s what I wrote then -

I really wish I could give you more clues about this next song but this is all I have for now.
It’s about proposed interactions and reactions between two people spoken in the first person by one of them.
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote:Speaking of songs with other song titles in their verses – with the studio album songs there are over 50 examples and double that with the unofficial ones.
I did not know that! I tend to catch them when I hear them, but I never tallied them up. Wow!
B4real wrote:...playing a musical instrument is so good for our brain neuroplasticity!
Ha-ha -- I usually provide a much more esoteric reason as to why I play an instrument, but I will remember that one, as it will undoubtedly come in useful somewhere along the way!

Well, have fun with the song hunt -- I am just passing through this time, so I will let someone else guess. Cheers!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Good to talk with you again, Lisa!

Some helpful words: broker, play, doctor, crippled, exultation, disgrace, murkier, fire.

These words are substitutes for the last word of eight consecutive lines.
B4real wrote: this is all I have for now
:( ;-)
B4real

Post by B4real »

B4real wrote: Now as fate would have it, here’s a question I prepared earlier ... in fact, just a few days ago on Wed Aug 10th and here’s what I wrote then

;-) I hope you have been keeping up-to-date on the forum :)
B4real

Post by B4real »

The title of this song is also the same as the album :razz:
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

B4real wrote: Some helpful words: broker, play, doctor, crippled, exultation, disgrace, murkier, fire.
That's a clever riddle!

And the answer is: "You Want It Darker"
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Now I'm looking for a song that offers some helpful navigational and economic advice.

The song also sort of references Einstein and Bruce Lee.
B4real

Post by B4real »

You got it, Hartmut! I posted these eight lines on Wed Aug 10 in the Peaky Blinders thread because there wasn’t any talk for three months about this song or the new album.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36590&start=30#p359844

As well as hoping for some info about the release date I wanted to use the song title You Want It Darker in this game so I thought actually writing these words down for the first time on the forum that someone was bound to see them. When I posted them, little did I realise that two days later the new album would be announced and this song would have the same title as it!

Sounds like you had a wonderful time in Amsterdam :D

Now shooting from the hip, a thought has just crossed my mind....I wonder if you are doing what I just did...posting a link to a new song and using it here :razz: I know I should be giving it more thought but maybe the song you want is Steer Your Way. Or on reflection, possibly Villanelle For Our Time.
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

B4real wrote:but maybe the song you want is Steer Your Way. Or on reflection, possibly Villanelle For Our Time.
Yes, Bev, you're right, it's one of these songs.
B4real wrote:I wanted to use the song title You Want It Darker in this game so I thought actually writing these words down for the first time on the forum that someone was bound to see them
Good idea.
B4real wrote:Sounds like you had a wonderful time in Amsterdam :D
Oh, yes. :-) - We even got to see kangaroos! (Not at the event venue, but at the zoo.)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks Hartmut, good to know one of my guesses was right ;-)

You gotta watch them kangas ..... they’re expert escape artists! A few years ago at least four kangaroos that I know of have absconded from zoos in England, Germany, Canada and the USA! Maybe they were just trying to find their way back home :razz:

OK on with the game –
This is a song with repeated reverse chronological order and repeated reflection in direct directive or subsequent succession :)
B4real

Post by B4real »

The above clue is about the chorus which is written five times. This song began as a poem ;-)

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”