Three Years Later

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
LisaLCFan

Re: Three Years Later

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote:As you know, that's the beauty of Leonard's words and music. The more you listen the more you want (need) to listen.

This is part of the message I wrote in the card we recently gave him in Vegas: "Time does not change us, it just unfolds us and thanks to you I am unfolding in an amazing way." May I and all of us continue to do so.
Hi Bev,

You have put this so beautifully! I have been listening to Leonard for years, addicted to him from the first moment I heard him. But it is only after seeing him in concert 2 years ago (exactly two years ago today!!) that I began to "unfold" in unexpected and incredible ways, being touched by his music like never before. The really amazing thing is that this experience continues! After essentially having been immersed in Leonard's work non-stop for the past two years, I still find new layers, new meanings; it is sometimes as though I am hearing the songs for the first time. I cannot explain any of this, but I am so grateful that Leonard's music is a part of my life, for my life has been enriched beyond my wildest imagination because of it.

(And, to all those people who dislike these gushing sentimental posts, I can't help it, it's just the way I am! As Leonard himself says, There ain't no cure for love!)

Cheers,
Lisa
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

LisaLCFan wrote: (And, to all those people who dislike these gushing sentimental posts, I can't help it, it's just the way I am! As Leonard himself says, There ain't no cure for love!)

Cheers,
Lisa
Yes quite true, Leonard sings; There ain't no cure for love but he sure doesn't sing; There ain't no cure for gushing sentimentality :lol:

To think it was once all calm, a bit of smoke, peace and love and now it's down to gushing gals and throwing polka dot blouses on stage. I bet L.C never saw all this coming many years ago :lol: ;-)
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

musicmania wrote: When he said this and it was later pointed out to me that he had reverted to the original lyrics of The Future it made me wonder had he done it as an act of defiance maybe?
Wouldn't be a bit surprised! LC has always had a mischievous sense of humour.
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Vicomte wrote:
Would be nice if someone could start a thread on how it was and what they remember. I sometimes need a shake up of the grey matter and then I am away :lol: You know what I mean I'm sure, when friends sit a round just talking, the memories come flooding back and how many times in any stage of our life do we say, "oh I remember that, I had forgotten all about it"

Your reminiscences are very interesting, Vicomte. I have just opened a new "The earlier concerts" thread in the hope that you and others who were there might jog one another's memories! I and I'm sure many others would love to hear more about the earlier concerts.
You did well to get that lovely natural, relaxed photo of Vicomtesse and your niece with Leonard - something to treasure. :D
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

TipperaryAnn wrote: Your reminiscences are very interesting, Vicomte. I have just opened a new "The earlier concerts" thread in the hope that you and others who were there might jog one another's memories! I and I'm sure many others would love to hear more about the earlier concerts.
You did well to get that lovely natural, relaxed photo of Vicomtesse and your niece with Leonard - something to treasure. :D
:lol:

Ann, I had to sacrifice a photo of Leonard, Roscoe and myself, so I could take a couple of photos of Vicomtesse and Niece ! It was a stroke of luck, they were looking for a bar opposite the hotel that they were staying in and by the canal side (we never knew at the time, that we were also in the same place) and we had the same thoughts on finding a bar. Vicomtesse made us laugh, she stopped L.C and Roscoe and said "Hello, you are Leonard Cohen" (We half expected her to then go on and say "and I claim the £5 reward" He admitted that he was indeed Leonard Cohen :lol: ;-) They were of course both very charming but it was quite bizarre, there we were talking away and people were strolling past and not taking a blind bit of notice. Which then of course suggests that people there know nothing of Leonard, or at best, didn't recognise him. Never mind, their loss ;-)
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Was wondering did you have a photo of yourself with Leonard, Vicomte - that was a great sacrifice you made! Looks like an Irish bar you all went into...
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

No, I don't have any photos taken with Leonard, the chance has occurred over the years BUT the next time, I will definitely take my opportunity (that's put the curse on it then!!)

Yes, we went in "that" Irish bar behind "those" in the photo, says he with gritted teeth ;-)
Neil from The Young Ones
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Vicomte wrote: Yes, we went in "that" Irish bar behind "those" in the photo, says he with gritted teeth ;-)
Sounds like fun! :lol:
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Oh yes, great fun! Especially with the girls asking "Go on, just one more look at the photos" :lol:

Do you think I might get away with a "super imposed" photo of Leonard and I and perhaps the Webb sisters hanging on my arm? :lol: ;-)

Bizarre but everytime I read your signature line, I find myself singing it :shock: ;-)
Neil from The Young Ones
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Vicomte wrote:
Bizarre but everytime I read your signature line, I find myself singing it :shock: ;-)
Understandable! You could be doing worse, e.g. your superimposed photo idea ! :roll: Although come to think of it, you DID meet Leonard,so it wouldn't be totally false, and a photo of you with a Webb sister on each arm might impress some innocent souls...

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”