Random LC moment I am adoring today

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
MaryB

Re: Random LC moment I am adoring today

Post by MaryB »

I just finished watching Paul Giammatti in 'Barney's Version' (2011)- a wonderful, touching film. The bonus and moment I am adoring today? Not one, but two LC songs in the movie. During the movie, a part of DMTTEOL, a snippet of 'I'm Your Man', and then the full version of 'I'm Your Man' during the closing credits :D
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Heard at The Free Times Cafe on Friday night:

Famous Blue Raincoat by Tori Amos http://youtu.be/MQW-5Zi2F2k

(I knew there was a reason that place feels like home to me...)
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

So, this random moment is a little bittersweet: at the Sin and Redemption Pub in Toronto with my friend James, appreciating the blues on the playlist (Curtis Mayfield, Bb King..) but lamenting that Shazam doesn't seem to match many songs anymore...
Then, the music shifts: Closing Time, original studio version! Ah, the sin and redemption theme!
But, sadly, Shazam couldn't match it!
newfoundland--understand?
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

Wrapping the last of my Christmas presents and I put my Perla Batalla CD on and I absolutely love her version of Bird on the Wire.
Does anyone agree that has to be the best after Leonard's? It is beautiful, and she puts everything into it. Yes??
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

I am kind of partial to Johnny Cash's version

http://youtu.be/Fh6zyJyrrQI

and Willie Nelson's:
http://youtu.be/ZutD7E-toOI
( That steel guitar does it for me every time!)
Last edited by anneporter on Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newfoundland--understand?
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

While browsing You Tube for the Good Lovelies' version of Santa Baby for the New Game, I stumbled upon The Good Lovelies singing Hallelujah live in London last year. They are one of my favourite groups, so why am i surprised that they covered it?
http://youtu.be/fjxvLGv7ZCg
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

I had a delightful chance encounter at the supermarket today.
A Leonard Cohen fan spotted me from the Las Vegas final concert.

http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com/2012 ... onard.html

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Great story, Arlene!
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Love your little Cohenites stories, Arlene :razz:
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

Arlene,

Ken sounds like a very special person – not only does he love LC, he remembers the faces of Cohenites he has seen but never met 8)

My high school art teacher used to say to me that certain people were 'Venusians' (lovers of peace and beauty), and that, if you too were a lover of art, you would always recognize and bond with other Venusians, wherever you went.

XO
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

imaginary friend wrote:Arlene,

Ken sounds like a very special person – not only does he love LC, he remembers the faces of Cohenites he has seen but never met 8)

My high school art teacher used to say to me that certain people were 'Venusians' (lovers of peace and beauty), and that, if you too were a lover of art, you would always recognize and bond with other Venusians, wherever you went.

XO
Thank you Sheila. This is such a lovely concept.
I will send Ken an email with a bookmark to your post.

---Arlene

MaryB

Post by MaryB »

The new album is available on jukebox - yippie skippie!!!!! So, tonight, after playing a certain number of selections which would appeal to the clientele of our favorite Italian restaurant/pub (Coolidge/Kristofersson, 'There's a Song I'd Like to Sing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE1-igIvvdA;, Dwight Yoakum and Patti Loveless, 'Send a Message to My Heart' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFsRanm06wU .........., I was ecstatic because the new LC album was available. I immediately keyed in 'Different Sides' from Old Ideas.

There was one fella at the end of the bar who kept looking to see what the info on the songs were, ie. name of artist, name of song.....

Being in an atmosphere where the clientele had become accostomed to hearing LC and thereby themselves putting in LC songs as their own choices, I felt confident that this newest song might be easily accepted. The song comes on. In an instant, the female of a couple at the end of the bar says, "Satan music". I was horrified that her reaction to LC's voice would generate this response! OMG :shock: :shock: :shock:

Then I see the fella that was monitoring the music that I had chosen, he had gotten up from his seat, went closer to one of the speaker, held his phone to the speaker in order to record this song.

Some people just have no clue, while others recognize quality and want to record it for posterity. :D :D :D
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Last edited by ladydi on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

ladydi wrote:I was in my local Barnes and Noble bookstore today. Initially my friend and I went for a latte and simply to sit back, relax and chat. We started to leave, when I said .... I HAVE to go to the music area to see the LC display! Walked in...wandered around...and around...and around. No LC. My friend sort of slinked out as he knew I was about to get "pissed". Clerk finally approaches me with 'can I help you find something?'. 'Well, yes you can. Where are the Leonard Cohen cd's that came out this week.....I don't see any on display?' "That's because they were sold out on the first day." :D :D :D

My parting words were....'you might want to order some more!".
Oh, that is too funny. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good for you!
---Arlene

B4real

Post by B4real »

I went into my local record shop today to collect my copy of Old Ideas (unfortunately minus The Muse print) with ladydi's words about promo display on my mind. There was no hugh eye catching display but lined up like soldiers in a prominent position were twenty copies in two side by side racks. Previously, when I rang up and asked them to hold me a copy they said they had ordered 45 copies but would save me one. I was actually astounded they ordered so many and wondered who the other 44 Leonard Cohen fans were in this fairly small city! I also wondered how I could flush them out into the open!
When I paid for my copy at the counter the sales assistant didn't know who LC was so I pulled out my standard stock statement, "He wrote Hallelujah you know". "Ah! I know that song", is always the reply, "but Jeff Buckley wrote it".........oh, here we go again, I thought!......and yes, I did set the record very straight!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”