Random LC moment I am adoring today

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
mnkyface

Random LC moment I am adoring today

Post by mnkyface »

The little "awright!" in the middle of Tennessee Waltz. ;)
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Re: Random LC moment I am adoring today

Post by Womanfromaroom »

My favourite Cohen moment today: That my mum just phoned to tell me that she turned on her hi-fi system on top volume this morning to start the day listening to her "I'm your Man"-record and thought she would really be in for trouble with the neighbours (a relatively young couple) who were having breakfast in their garden, but didn't care and enjoyed the music in all its loudness anyway; and that indeed the neighbours rang the doorbell after a while and she was preparing herself for long explanations, justifications and apologies, but that they only wanted to ask what that amazing music was and whether she knew whether it would also be available on CD... :D
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

And in a few years that young couple may log onto the Forum and post a response to the thread about "How did you get into LC's music". That is how classics are made. Keep it up. At the moment I am listening to Closing time, but unfortunately no neighbours to ask when that time will finally come :)
" ........... if one can describe as serious the confused comedy of our lives". Graham Greene, "The Comedians".
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

My most recent such moment (of many often in this country) was last week, when one street in downtown Zagreb was full of Leonard's voice. Somebody from the apartment on first floor had opened windows (it's hot Summer) and listened to Ten New songs on maximum volume 8)
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Today - I am in Israel at the moment - we took a trip to the West Bank and also drove along the security wall / fence erected by the Israeli government. Among many other graffitis on the wall, we saw one saying: "There's a crack in everything. That is how the light gets in..." Wish I had had my camera ready at that moment!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Last edited by ladydi on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

The picture in the current (North America) tour book of him in fedora and suit, grinning and eating a yogurt. It's on the left side of the last collage type spread, right before the end of the book. I like comparing the smile in that photo with that of teenage Leonard on the top of the opposite page.

Best. Smile. Ever.

Post by friscogrl »

I know! I noticed that too! It's the same crooked smile, it's great isn't it?!
Last edited by friscogrl on Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

I love that picture of him as a grinning teenager in the tour book - it makes me smile whenever I look at it :D

As for my random LC moment - if I check my email and there's nothing there, it displays the message 'there are no messages on the server' - which leads my poor obsessed brain has to complete it in my head with 'there are no grapes upon the vine, there are no chocolates in the boxes anymore, and there are no diamonds in the mine'. I do wonder about my sanity - one of these days I'll probably do it out loud, let's hope it's not at work :lol:
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

A dream of LC last night where he just wanted to hang out with me. I made him coffee and french toast, we ate and just somehow observed all the people coming to his concert and chatted forever as friends 8) . Still shaking from that dream :D .

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar »

I've been watching some YouTube footage of the concerts today. My "heart skips a beat moment" especially at a live performance is when Leonard takes those few steps forward just as he begins the next song, swoooooooooon!!
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

I spent all day at a workshop in a different building than I work in. During a break I walked past an office and stopped dead in my tracks. Pinned on the outside of the cubicle was "ring the bells that still can ring, etc." I must have walked past the office twenty times trying to meet the person who worked there, but alas 'twas not to be. Still, it brightened up an otherwise boring day. :D
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

I watched the fantastic youtube clip posted my Mirka on the thread, “Leonard and Band Take a Bow”. Oakland Paramount, April 14, 2009

When Leonard spoke his closing words, I realized he was fulfilling his inherited obligation as a High Priest (Kohen). He was performing the ritual of the four Priestly Blessings. (Numbers 6:24-26).
1. It’s getting kind of windy and chilly out there, so don’t catch cold.
2. Be lucky.
3. Be surrounded by friends and family
4. And if this is not your lot, may the blessings find you in your solitude

God bless. Thank you so much, friends. We won’t forget this night.
Then I cried.
Last edited by bridger15 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

MaryB wrote:A dream of LC last night where he just wanted to hang out with me. I made him coffee and french toast, we ate and just somehow observed all the people coming to his concert and chatted forever as friends 8) . Still shaking from that dream :D .

Best regards,
Mary
Mary! That's so funny! I have had very similar dreams about LC...always it is very comfortable and friendly, like we are old pals. In one of them, we were in a bookstore browsing around and I kept pulling out biographies of him, and the Book of Longing, threatening to "out" him to the rest of the store (because no one recognized him). I kept chasing him around holding the books over his head, saying '"look who it is, folks!", with him laughing and trying to duck away. This dream still makes me smile.

In the other one... we were in one of those trendy night clubs where people lounge on beds (there is an actual club in NYC called "Bed"; it was featured in an episode of Sex and the City) and we were just hanging out having a drink, watching people. For some reason the beds were really high and we had to use a zip line to get across to other side of the club, where the rest of the band was. ok, that one was pretty weird.

Post by MaryB »

Esther,

Your first dream is just tooooo funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wishing you many more, not like the zip line though :roll: :lol: - aaaah the visual :lol:

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”