Random LC moment I am adoring today

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
burningviolin

Re: Random LC moment I am adoring today

Post by burningviolin »

You don't get buskers in the next town over but as I was running errands there yesterday I could hear some sort of opera singer singing. He looked completely out of place wearing a big overcoat as it was really warm yesterday, but he was really blasting it out and doing that operatic/dramatic walking and gesticulations with his hands! It took me a while to zone in on what he was singing but of course it was Hallelujah but it was like a Russian Orthodox version or something! It was probably the most bizzare random LC moment so far but certainly put a smile on my faceall. :D
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

When George and I go out, if there is a jukebox in the establishment, we put in $5US. This will give us 20 popular songs for one credit each. We have eclectic sensibilities, so our $5 will only give us 10 choices @ 2 credits each (many of them being LC - Everybody Knows being the most popular general public choice).

One of our choices for 2 credits each, 90% of the time, is The Drifters rendition of 'Save the Last Dance for Me'. To see that this is an LC choice for an encore - HEAVEN! THANK YOU LC!!!!!!!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
IMM

Post by IMM »

MaryB wrote:One of our choices for 2 credits each, 90% of the time, is The Drifters rendition of 'Save the Last Dance for Me'. To see that this is an LC choice for an encore - HEAVEN! THANK YOU LC!!!!!!!
On an only slightly related moment -- the album A Song For My Father, which includes Adam Cohen, also includes a song by Louise Goffin (for Gerry Goffin & Carole King).
Here's the 1962 Drifters version of Up On The Roof
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Today I've heard LC on the radio in a public place for the first time.
In a bookstore near the school where I work. A Thousand Kisses Deep, it appears to be a rather suitable tune for a section of fiction, memoires, etc. The next song, btw, was Neh Nah Nah by Vaya Con Dios, a superb Belgian band.
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Sounds lovely
newfoundland--understand?
mutti

Post by mutti »

I recently started watching 'Homeland' the television series beginning with Season 1.
I am addicted and await patiently for Netflix to send each disc (there are 4 in total for season 1) and then spend a 3 hour spree watching in delight. It is intriguing...
imagine the big smile on my face when at the end of the episode 'Crossfire' Season 1 I heard a familiar voice
singing 'Everybody Knows'.
Ah what can I say...I am aware someone else may have posted this before but for me this was my random moment of the day.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

PROVED:
Three hours in night time Finland (2,5 h on the border/road there, 30 min in a mall) is quite enough for a Cohenite to find unexpectedly something like

That's how I understand happiness today:
Cohen + chocolate+mint + I've bought some donuts too...

Also, we've listened to the songs of Vladimir Vysotsky, the greatest Russian singer-songwriter, all along the road. It actually was: eight hours of Vysotsky, with a half an hour break for Finland.

And - that's all for you, Mr. Leonard Cohen & the Band, in order to get easily a Schengen visa to go to Europe to see you! 8)
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Just heard Hallelujia live on tv by Mélissa Bédard, by pure chance. Great! :razz:
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Goldin wrote:Today I've heard LC on the radio in a public place for the first time.
In a bookstore near the school where I work. A Thousand Kisses Deep, it appears to be a rather suitable tune for a section of fiction, memoires, etc. The next song, btw, was Neh Nah Nah by Vaya Con Dios, a superb Belgian band.
The instrumental closing part of the same song cheered me when I crossed the threshold of the same bookstore today.
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

This comic strip (The Other Coast) gave me a chuckle over my morning coffee!
image.jpg
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

Having one of those days on Saturday (the kind you have to get through , won't go into details, any parent will know about it already) when I hear something I instantly recognise on ABC Radio National in the car, never heard it before but instantly LOVE it - The Cohen Variations by Simone Dinnerstein.

http://youtu.be/6zYRfg2Qtx8
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
B4real

Post by B4real »

I went to my local library today and while looking through the music CD's was totally taken back to see Leonard's Old Ideas on the rack! This is the first time any of his albums have been in this library even though it did come from another library. I live in a small seaside town and I can tell you not many people have heard of Leonard here. Maybe I've finally educated the library staff because over the years they've ordered for me EVERY book LC has written and most biographies on him :)
OI-CD-in-libraray2.jpg
OI-CD-in-libraray1.jpg
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

Well-spotted, Bev!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Mollydog wrote:This comic strip (The Other Coast) gave me a chuckle over my morning coffee!
Been meaning to say, "Me too!"
blonde madonna wrote:http://youtu.be/6zYRfg2Qtx8
Thanks BM, that was soooothing 8)
anneporter wrote:Well-spotted, Bev!
Surprising just when and where these random LC moments spring upon you!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Junk

Post by Junk »

Nice to hear a couple of snippets of Go No More A-Roving in the Michael Winterbottom film 'The Trip To Italy.' :D

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”