anneporter

Random LC moment I am adoring today

Post by anneporter »

Well, St. T, magic is magic...
newfoundland--understand?
B4real

Re: Random LC moment I am adoring today

Post by B4real »

I was just now downloading some music and the TV was on in the background with a programme I thought might have been interesting but it didn't appear to be so I've just got up to turn it off when the very familiar sound of the beginning of "Suzanne" started playing. For a moment I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was an early studio recording of the song. What a surprise!

The programme was called "All Watched Over By Machines Of Loving Grace: Pt 1 Love and Power".
Suzanne was playing (probably about three quarters of the way through the documentary) while Bill Clinton was talking to Monica Lewinsky as in the screen shot of the video below:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/all-watc ... ing-grace/

.....you just never know when and how these random moments will appear!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

Doing some clearing up indoors yesterday I decided another listen to SONGS FROM THE ROAD would help the task in hand.
When Hallelujah came on, I tingled. This version from Coachella, to me, is the best.
Whether it is the crowd participation as well, I don't know, but the thought came to me how lucky I have
been to see Leonard sing this 4 times, sadly not Coachella, and how sad for anyone not to witness a live concert with Leonard.
There is nothing like it, nothing.
Then I wondered why it took me all morning to do work that usually only took me an hour or so.
Sometimes you just can't stop listening and replaying.
I think today I had better just keep to the radio.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

I have the same sort of reaction as you Lightasabreeze when I listen to this recording of Hallelujah, I have been playing the cd this week in the car and every time I hear the last chorus with all those young voices singing out so perfectly with Leonard I find I have a big silly grin on my face, it never fails! :D

I remember at that time, a day or so after Coachella, watching it on YouTube and thinking what a great performance it was, Leonard's voice was in particularly good form. The music cd, with the greater depth and quality of sound, is so much better than that on the dvd, it's a treasure.

Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

We had left our favorite bar/restaurant, Villa Nova (an Italalian place close by us), where we had subjected the clientele to our love of LC on the jukebox (and I am glad to say, a number of them have made certain LC songs favorites of their own favorites), and then proceeded to an 'Irish' pub right down the street (because the restaurant closes early). A number of the same clientele and staff from Villa Nova had done the same.

No one was playing the jukebox - eureka - my money, my choice. Super search - Leonard Cohen. A Villa Nova staff member behind me - I'm looking for a song and ooooooh no :shock: , she punches in 'Hallelujah' - not the best song of his (sorry Gwen :( ) to please the general public. It starts...........and here comes the refrain........'Hallelujah' - and the WHOLE bar starts singing along and enjoying the heck out of it - no one more than my husband and myself :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
denise knowles

Post by denise knowles »

Mary B
If there was a like/ love button. I would have pressed it. beautiful day for you and hubby. :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Such wonderful affirmation for you [well, George, actually ;-) ], Mary 8) .

I can't used the word "adore" regarding the link I'm including here from what I viewed yesterday, but it caught me totally off guard and I was moved by it. The YouTube video [8:10 total] is so worth watching... if you're a woman or care for a woman... and you'll see what I'm referring to when it comes along. I had selected this after watching a first one regarding the symptoms that whisper with ovarian cancer. Angie is a very beautiful woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeyIdIcQmlE
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

OK, I'm actually a bit worried I'm going metal... my boyfriend has bought a new kind of cereal, called Golden Crunch (and very nice it is too). Only problem is, whenever I see it in the kitchen my mind automatically fills in:

'where are you golden boy, where's your famous golden crunch'

I'm actually nuts aren't I? :cry:
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
B4real

Post by B4real »

ha ha! Ruth,
somewhat_nifty wrote:'where are you golden boy, where's your famous golden crunch
I think you are now ready and primed to play the picture game :razz:

Bev

btw.....does your boyfriend have blonde hair by any chance. ;-)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

Lol Nifty :lol: I listened to that song yesterday actually after not having heard if for ages. I don't think you're going nuts!
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

B4real wrote:ha ha! Ruth,
somewhat_nifty wrote:'where are you golden boy, where's your famous golden crunch
I think you are now ready and primed to play the picture game :razz:

Bev

btw.....does your boyfriend have blonde hair by any chance. ;-)
Oddly enough Bev, yes he does! There's lots of layers going on here...

BV - yes, it's not one to listen to often is it! Thank you for vouching for my sanity :lol:
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

In celebration of my random Leonard Cohen Moment of the day: Turning on Weekend Arts Magazine before dawn just in time to hear Mac Furlong introduce this song: I had forgotten that Patricia O'Callaghan's Cohen tribute came out this month!! Hurray for iTunes and instant gratification!

http://youtu.be/lOlcIDFY0Ks
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Today, I found that wonderful youtube video 'First We Take Manhattan' from the 2009 Concert in Venice. I love the little smile Leonard gives Bob Metzger before he starts to sing. The whole band looks so happy, and who wouldn't be in such a beautiful place? It really is one of the best videos I have seen.

Priceless :D
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

anneporter wrote:In celebration of my random Leonard Cohen Moment of the day: Turning on Weekend Arts Magazine before dawn just in time to hear Mac Furlong introduce this song: I had forgotten that Patricia O'Callaghan's Cohen tribute came out this month!! Hurray for iTunes and instant gratification!

http://youtu.be/lOlcIDFY0Ks
I just noticed this post. What a lovely cover. It is quite well done.
Thank you for posting the link,

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Playing the jukebox in a local pub tonight. Listening to versions of "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley (wimpy), the LC version (kudos to Ed Sanders!) from 'Songs from the Road' (sublime), and then for comparison, kd lang's version (which I've always loved). LC wins by FAR!!!...so powerful compared to the rest (everyone in the place also agreed....they are indeed becoming LC fans and afficionados in increments :D :D :D ).
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”