Cost of "You want it darker" on Amazon.co.uk

Leonard Cohen's last studio album (2016)
davidrichards

Cost of "You want it darker" on Amazon.co.uk

Post by davidrichards »

I do not know if anyone has seen the price Amazon in the U.K. have put on the pre-order for the new album. At £22.46 for the CD I would have thought that someone in the industry is hoping to make a huge and unjustifiable profit and I am sure that it is not anyone involved in the actual performance.
Mabeanie1

Re: Cost of "You want it darker" on Amazon.co.uk

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I imagine it's only a temporary blip. They probably only have info on the US or Canadian release at the moment so have priced the CD as an import. I would expect it to be on for £9.99 or thereabouts.

Wendy
davidrichards

Post by davidrichards »

I sincerely hope you are right. I have since checked on Amazon.com. They seem to know their prices somewhat better - $12.62.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

CDON.com, the biggest online seller in the Nordic countries sells the CD for 17.95 eur and the vinyl LP for 24.95 eur
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Available here for £9.99 with 10% off your first order if you sign up for their newsletter:

https://www.zoom.co.uk/product/you_want ... 0wodAksEhg

Wendy
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

In the Netherlands, CD 16,99 eur - LP 22,99 eur.

Wybe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

Interesting to see how much the price varies. But do you know what? I don't care how much it costs. I will buy it anyway, in my local Golden Discs if possible as I have done with previous LC cds, because I appreciate having a local music store. And in view of what we read elsewhere on the Forum about Leonard's health problems, price suddenly seems less significant...
Ring the bells that still can ring...
rpan

Post by rpan »

I am sure just a blip, I pre-ordered from Amazon UK about 10 days ago and it was 11.82 at that time.
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

The amazon price has to be a mistake - i think they will find nobody will buy it for that price , not even if delivered in 10 minutes by a drone!

Also available for £9.99 in the uk from HMV.
I think i may do the old fashioned thing , and go buy it in person from an actual store while there are still some around :)
Last edited by cohenadmirer on Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
B4real

Post by B4real »

cohenadmirer wrote:I think i may do the old fashioned thing , and go buy it in person from an actual store while there are still some around :)
Yes, David I agree. I'll be buying it from my local JB HI-FI store in person just as I've always done as soon as it becomes available. I know it will be a bit dearer but that's perfectly OK!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I wrote to Amazon UK to complain about the pricing error. This is the reply I received:

"First of all, Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention.

I can certainly understand that the audio CD is currently priced on £22.46 and it was previously listed at £11.82.

I can also understand that the other sites e.g. zoom.co.uk it is currently priced at £9.99.

We build our website information from many sources, and we really appreciate knowing about any errors or issues that have been overlooked.

I have forwarded your message to the relevant department so that this item's details can be amended correctly."

Lo and behold, today the CD has been repriced at £9.99. A result!!

Wendy
B4real

Post by B4real »

Good on you, Wendy!

The CD album can be pre-ordered at JB HI-FI Australia for AU$19.99 and the release date is 21st October.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/browse/ ... er/315856/

Btw.... I noticed they have four reissue vinyl albums available:

Songs of Leonard Cohen AU$27.99

Songs of Love and Hate AU$27.99

Old ideas AU$39.99

I'm Your Man AU$47.99
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
pironi

Post by pironi »

15,92 eur here in Italy (on the Italian Amazon site). Street price will be about the same.
Coming on October 21 just like in other countries
Pietro.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Phew! Thanks Wendy. I also noticed the inflated price on amazon and wondered whether it was for a special, super duper limited edition package - but now the mystery is solved.
I can now put my order in together with the new CD by Vangelis..DAMN - free p+p on orders more than £20 and both CDs are £9.99. Amazon are too clever. I might just go and buy them from HMV but that will involve a car journey and parking.

Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

Plenty of alternatives to Amazon. Ones that pay their taxes, too.

Return to “You Want It Darker”