Amsterdam Event, August 12-14, 2016

The Amsterdam Event - before and after
lizzytysh

Re: Amsterdam Event 2016

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Joy ~

The format will come together more specifically with time, via this space. If you look at previous Events, by going to the leonardcohenfiles [link at top of this page], you can get a better idea of what it's been in the past, which should be helpful. They have been in Berlin, Cracow, NYC, Hydra, etc.

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/amst.html

Hopefully, you'll decide to come along, regardless. They are always worthwhile and a lot of fun.

Welcome to the Forum :D

All the best,
Lizzie
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
dar

Post by dar »

Would love to attend this event. Will have to start researching costs, etc.
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Hello, will there be any Naked Ironing Events ? It won't seem like a real Leonard Cohen Event unless there are.
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

I have now heard from Mr & Mrs Holland who are organising the Event. I am assured that there will, as Tradition demands, be a full Naked Ironing Contest. They have also reminded me that you need to book tickets if you are interested in joining the Amsterdam Mountain Climb.
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

How high are the mountains, as I am short of crampons, I lost a lot in the mountains of Norfolk.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Is the naked ironing compulsory?
Beginning to sound interesting.
there are artificial mountains in amsterdam, like those punishing steep staircases
I enjoyed seeing Bob Dylan at the lovely Carre Theatre last weekend. It has a cosy footprint but is VERY tall with lots of climbing to the highest seat!
Absorbed by bob while i was there , but had time to think- ' leonard please come here !'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6_CDgXS83g
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
surrender

Post by surrender »

Nice one, thanks Wijbe!
Wish someone told me many years ago when I came to the Netherlands.

Click the link in Wijbe's message, guys!

Jarmila
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
Judy

Post by Judy »

Thank you Wijbe ... very motivating :D
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Vicomte wrote:How high are the mountains, as I am short of crampons, I lost a lot in the mountains of Norfolk.

My research shows me that the Dutch rarely add crampons or any other toasty pieces to their soup. In Norfolk there are many eating places where you do not need to bring with your own crampons. Some of the better establishments even supply their own cutlery as well. I get the feeling that you are probably very NFN.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Sideways wrote:
Vicomte wrote:How high are the mountains, as I am short of crampons, I lost a lot in the mountains of Norfolk.

My research shows me that the Dutch rarely add crampons or any other toasty pieces to their soup. In Norfolk there are many eating places where you do not need to bring with your own crampons. Some of the better establishments even supply their own cutlery as well. I get the feeling that you are probably very NFN.
Good news, the lost crampons have been found on Mount Norwich under 12' of snow. With this in mind, please can you bring the loop de loop and I will of course bring along the crampons. Or in the words of Bob the traitor, I've got the pork chops, you've got the pie, so we'll now have enough to fine dine on the heights of Amsterdam.....
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Vicomte wrote:
Sideways wrote:

Good news, the lost crampons have been found on Mount Norwich under 12' of snow. With this in mind, please can you bring the loop de loop and I will of course bring along the crampons. Or in the words of Bob the traitor, I've got the pork chops, you've got the pie, so we'll now have enough to fine dine on the heights of Amsterdam and show the *cloggies how crampons and loop de loop go well together.....
* A loveable term given to our Dutch amigos.
Neil from The Young Ones
Sideways

Re: Amsterdam Event, August 12-14, 2016

Post by Sideways »

Young Vicomte is not old enough to recall The Cloggies from Private Eye. Here is the Wikipedia entry
"The Cloggies, an Everyday Saga in the Life of Clog Dancing Folk, was a long-running cartoon by Bill Tidy that ran in the satirical magazine Private Eye from 1967 to 1981, and later in The Listener from 1985 to 1986. It gently satirised northern British male culture, and introduced a shocked nation to the scurrilous delights of Lancashire clog-dancing. This particular variation of the art involved two teams dancing towards each other in formation, followed by each attempting to cripple their opponents with gracefully executed knee and foot moves. Thus the Forward Sir Percy, a synchronized low-level knee attack, the Double Arkwright wi' Ankle Lever, the Heckmondwycke with Reverse Spin and the ever controversial Triple Arkwright. Other routines included the Half Arkwright with Groin Action, the Erotic Elbow Drive and the match-winning Flying Arkwright, performed to cries of, “Keep them knees stylish!”
cloggies2.jpg
cloggies2.jpg (51 KiB) Viewed 7092 times
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Correct.

Here in our local village in LBF we have a tradition where one cloggie ties on a large rat and the art is to dance while the rat swings around, then one other cloggie joins in then another. Once the rat is dizzy enough it is released to go and annoy the next village whilst the villagers all hit the local cider and await a new rat to come in to the village.....

Here, see what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl0sshGlz4w
Neil from The Young Ones
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Vicomte wrote:Correct.

Here in our local village in LBF we have a tradition where one cloggie ties on a large rat and the art is to dance while the rat swings around, then one other cloggie joins in then another. Once the rat is dizzy enough it is released to go and annoy the next village whilst the villagers all hit the local cider and await a new rat to come in to the village.....

Here, see what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl0sshGlz4w

That reminds me of my childhood. I was a wee lass and the rats used to tie me up with their tails and swing me around. Happy daze.

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Amsterdam 2016”