New live album: Can't Forget

jarkko
Site Admin

New live album: Can't Forget

Post by jarkko »

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/cantforget.html

LEONARD COHEN RELEASES ‘CAN’T FORGET: A SOUVENIR OF THE GRAND TOUR’ ON MAY 12, 2015
(May 8 in some European countries)
Available on CD and vinyl LP

Can't Forget was produced by Mark Vreeken and Ed Sanders, mastered by Bob Ludwig. Cover art by Michael Petit.

Below is the official press release!
LEONARD COHEN RELEASES ‘CAN’T FORGET: A SOUVENIR OF THE GRAND TOUR’
ON MAY 12, 2015 - WINS ‘ALBUM OF THE YEAR’ AT THE 2015 JUNO AWARDS

Pre-Order Now Available

Toronto, ON – March 17, 2015) Leonard Cohen releases Can’t Forget: A Souvenir of the Grand Tour on May 12, 2015. The ten songs of this hypnotic album are Cohen rarities recorded on his recent, celebrated "Old Ideas World Tour." Remarkably, this is Cohen’s third album release since last September’s Platinum selling Popular Problems which garnered four 2015 JUNO AWARD nominations and won for the coveted ‘Album of the Year’.

The songs on Can’t Forget have the immediacy, spontaneity, and thrilling intimacy of the best studio recordings made in the white heat of live performance and Cohen's legendary soundchecks, in which he brings the colors of his virtuoso band to full bloom in harmony with his voice, never more seductive. Here is a full range of Leonard Cohen's work: new songs including, from the realm of blues, the wickedly funny "Got a Little Secret" and "Never Gave Nobody Trouble"; luxurious performances of such Cohen masterpieces as "I Can't Forget," "Light As the Breeze," "Night Comes On," and a sublime "Joan of Arc". Cohen also treats us to a gripping version of the Quebecois love song "La Manic," performed before a captivated audience in Quebec City, and a moving tribute cover of the late country master George Jones's "Choices." These are songs and performances of the first order that you can't forget.

Can’t Forget is available for pre-order at all digital service providers, where fans will receive "Never Gave Nobody Trouble" instantly with purchase.

Cohen’s live concert tours were met with extraordinary and unanimous accolades as he performed around the world from 2008 through 2013. His mesmerizing performances totaled 470 shows in 31 countries, attended by four million fans. Can’t Forget gives listeners an extremely special glimpse into Cohen’s intimate rehearsal process, widely known to be in-depth ‘concerts before the concert!,’ heard by fans for the first time with this new record. Cohen continues to work with vocalists, musicians, producers and engineers who are the best in the business.

Can’t Forget: A Souvenir of the Grand Tour Tracklisting:

1. Field Commander Cohen
2. I Can’t Forget
3. Light as the Breeze
4. La Manic ++ (originally by Georges Dor)
5. Night Comes On
6. Never Gave Nobody Trouble ***
7. Joan of Arc
8. Got a Little Secret ***
9. Choices ++ (originally by George Jones)
10. Stages

*** New original Leonard Cohen songs
++ Covers never previously recorded by Cohen

# # #

ABOUT LEONARD COHEN: Leonard Cohen is a master songwriter, musician, poet, novelist and visual artist whose stunning body of original work has touched the lives of millions with a career spanning six decades. With over 23 million albums worldwide and 12 published books, Cohen's influence on musical and theatrical artists the world over is inestimable. With a career spanning five decades, Leonard Cohen has been honored as a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award Recipient (2010), inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame (2008), the Canadian Music Hall Of Fame (2006), the Canadian Songwriters Hall Of Fame (2006) and the Songwriters Hall Of Fame (2010). He has received the prestigious Principe de Asturias Prize – the highest literary award in Spain (Spain, 2011) as well as the Glenn Gould Prize, awarded to an individual for a unique lifetime contribution that has enriched the human condition through the arts (Canada, 2011). The Canadian native has earned his country's highest civilian honors - Officer of the Order of Canada (1991), Companion to the Order of Canada (2003), Grand Officer of the National Order of Quebec (2008).
I have moved some earlier messages to this thread (comments by members were based on Amazon UK, they leaked out the news before the official time)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
martali

New Album: Leonard Cohen - Can't Forget on retail sites

Post by martali »

:D fantastic !!!

Leonard Cohen’s new album
"Can't Forget: A Souvenir of the Grand Tour"
Release Date: 8 May 2015
Label: Columbia
Total Length: 48:34

Songs list according to Amazon UK:

1. Field Commander Cohen (Live at Denver Soundcheck, 2012)
2. I Can't Forget (Live at Copenhagen Show, 2012)
3. Light as the Breeze (Live at Dublin Show, 2012)
4. La Manic (Live at Québec City Show, 2012)
5. Night Comes On (Live at Mönchengladbach Show, 2012)
6. Never Gave Nobody Trouble (Live at Odense Soundcheck, 2013)
7. Joan of Arc (Live at Québec City Soundcheck, 2012)
8. Got a Little Secret (Live at Auckland Soundcheck, 2013)
9. Choices (Live at Christchurch Soundcheck, 2013)
10. Stages (Live at Sydney Show and Hamburg Soundcheck, 2013)
ilia

Re: New Album: Leonard Cohen - Can't Forget on retail sites

Post by ilia »

Never Gave Nobody Trouble looks like a single for download ;)
http://www.musicme.com/#/Leonard-Cohen/ ... 41047.html
Last edited by ilia on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

As we can hear on Amazon, Never Gave Nobody Trouble is the same Blues Jam song that has been played during soundcheck in Pula and Oslo in August 2013 (one may be familiar with the Pula recording thanks to the 3rd DrHGuy's bootleg "Songs From A Tour"):

I never gave nobody trouble
But it ain't too late to start

Don't want to break no window
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Never Gave Nobody Trouble

Pula, Aug 2, 2013 - 13 min 11 sec
Odense, Aug 17, 2013 - 4 min 51 sec
Never Gave Nobody Trouble.jpg
astranger

Post by astranger »

Anyone else recognize Stages? Don't seem to recall that being performed at a show or hearing of it sound checked.
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

astranger wrote:Anyone else recognize Stages? Don't seem to recall that being performed at a show or hearing of it sound checked.
I was at both Sydney 2013 shows and the only "stages" that I heard was a bit of banter rather than a song. It was during the Sydney Opera House show at the start of the 2nd set. During the intro to Tower Of Song he Included a discussion on the 6 stages of man in relation to his allure to the opposite sex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5n7fcfBxeQ

Anyway, we'll soon know.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
swisschris

Post by swisschris »

"Never gave nobody trouble" is already available to download at I-Tunes ... (at least in the Swiss store:-)
Just bought it, it's a great blues jam!

2008:Lyon July 9th, Lörrach July 25th, Zurich October 25th;
2009: Nimes August 20th;
2010: Basel September 8th;
2012: Verona September 24th;
2013: Montreux July 4th
DennisZ

Post by DennisZ »

That seems to confirm the above track list then...?
It's a very great one but I'm a bit disappointed the great "Stories Of The Street" sound check isn't included.
Can't remember from when it is but it starts with a very long instrumental. I really love this version. Even slightly more than the studio version. Would have been so great if it was on this record too. - But you can't have it all. ;-)
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

There is a French-language website where we can listen to the entire song (and buy it, in MP3, AAC or lossless format)! Just google a song title.
Also, I've found an unplayable video on VEVO site (a standart version: cover art + sound). So, I'd say we'll find it on YouTube in short time.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

I've never heard about Stories of the Street on soundcheck.
DennisZ

Post by DennisZ »

I've never heard about Stories of the Street on soundcheck.
Man, stupid me. My mind wasn't really present when I wrote it seems. Of course it's the "Stranger Song" I mean, what a bad fauxpas... :oops:
NEW_IDEAS

Post by NEW_IDEAS »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Z5BzLQMeo

"I can´t forget" from Copenhagen. Nice show, I was there. I met Leonard the day after at our hotel at breakfast. Took some photos and got an autograph! Very friendly indeed!

I was hoping for a live version of "Born in chains" on this album too...
L.C. - Helsingborg, Gothenburg, Copenhagen 2008. Malmö 2010. Copenhagen, Gothenburg 2012. ????????? 2026 :=)
mutti

Re: New live album: Can't Forget

Post by mutti »

so excited to hear this new album with all the intimate moments of soundcheck…a whole new level of listening happens in soundcheck!
Thank you Leonard and all involved in putting this album together. I can hardly wait!
Indeed this is something to look forward to.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
DennisZ

Re: New live album: Can't Forget

Post by DennisZ »

So there's still that mysterious track "Stages".

The two covers are marked as covers, as well as the two new songs. So "Stages" seems to be an original Cohen piece then (as it's not marked as cover). But not a "new song" (as it isn't marked as that either)? - So perhaps it's a poem recitation?

We will see...

Return to “2015 Release: Can't Forget”