New live album: Can't Forget

Vicomte

Re: New live album: Can't Forget

Post by Vicomte »

I remember that night well David. I think we were near you that night. By the time we walked down from Montjuic we found ourselves having to wait until 3.45 near Place Espanya for the night bus back to Sitges!
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Hi vicomte

Yes front row right edge, good memories ( even perhaps the difficulty getting 'home' doesn't seem so bad after all this time )

David
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Yes David, I thought it was you and of course as you say, far right front row. John and Jean from Liverpool were just a couple of rows back and they travelled back to Sitges with us on the night bus. Great night all round.

On the previous visit to Montjuic and after the lunch in honour of Leonard's 75th birthday, Vicomtesse and Jean were startled on the way up to the gig after the lunch by a naked man jumping out on them half way up to the concert.They had no such luck on the next occasion!
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

We'll...what do we think of Joan of Arc which is now available? Hattiesburg shines on it imho.
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

"Hattiesburg"??? Apologies Hattie- curse of the predictive text phenomenon...
AlexandraLaughing

Post by AlexandraLaughing »

Where is Joan of Arc available?
stella s.

Post by stella s. »

cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Thankyou stella S. Joan of arc is so beautiful , a song i really wanted to hear live and it's such a pity he performed it only once , as far as i know, at an actual grand tour concert. The suggestion was that he didn't feel he and the band had quite ' nailed it' , but this recording ( from a soundcheck I think ) suggests otherwise.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Not available in Russia ("outside Canada", as they say, but I know what does that mean :roll: ) yet.
cohenadmirer wrote:Joan of arc is so beautiful , a song i really wanted to hear live and it's such a pity he performed it only once , as far as i know, at an actual grand tour concert.
Twice:
1) Portland - Nov. 11, 2012 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9L7uS7RcXQ
2) Vancouver - Nov. 12, 2012
cohenadmirer wrote:this recording ( from a soundcheck I think )
Soundcheck, Quebec City, Colisée Pepsi - Dec. 2, 2012
astranger

Post by astranger »

Joan of Arc sounds sublime. I love that he's releasing tracks, like breadcrumbs, as we wait for the release.
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Thanks for the corrections.... change to saying it's such a pity he only performed it twice.... and particularly that i wasn't there for either !
Leonard's work resonates
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Goldin wrote:...1) Portland - Nov. 11, 2012 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9L7uS7RcXQ...
I was there, and it was absolutely sublime. It is nice that a sound-check recording will be released, but nothing can quite capture what it was like to hear it live, after all those years. I am so glad that Arlene (RIP, dear friend) caught it on video.
stella s.

Post by stella s. »

Goldin wrote: Not available in Russia ("outside Canada", as they say, but I know what does that mean :roll: ) yet.
It's on youtube now .... :) https://youtu.be/drqgPNNv3K8
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

LisaLCFan wrote:
Goldin wrote:...1) Portland - Nov. 11, 2012 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9L7uS7RcXQ...
I was there, and it was absolutely sublime. It is nice that a sound-check recording will be released, but nothing can quite capture what it was like to hear it live, after all those years. I am so glad that Arlene (RIP, dear friend) caught it on video.
I agree Lisa. I'd heard it in soundcheck in Dublin and I knew from other sources that they were really working on it but even so I will hever forget the shock and thrill of hearing it live in concert for the first time in so long. My recording was rubbish - marred by my involuntary squeal of surprise and delight. Fortunately Arlene kept her cool and captured it perfectly.

What I find most interesting is that they were still rehearsing the song after its two outings in Portland and Vancouver. They had trouble finding a key which suited both Leonard and Hattie and I am quite heartened that they didn't give up after Vancouver, even though we never heard the song publicly again.

Wendy
mutti

Post by mutti »

I heard Joan of Arc in Vancouver and was so excited and touched by its beauty.
Excited to hear 'Can't Forget' but am not listening until I have the CD at home…I have been like this with 'Old Ideas' and 'Popular Problems'. Although its hard to avoid all the links I have so far not listened...
I am so glad 'Joan of Arc' is on 'Can't Forget'. We are so lucky!
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...

Return to “2015 Release: Can't Forget”