Ad

Birdonawire

Re: Ad

Post by Birdonawire »

While we're on the subject, i'm not too sure I like the idea of Leonard allowing his image to be used in such a way. Not that I, nor anybody else, should have a say in it one way or the other. It's quite obviously his choice, but to me it seems cheap and tacky. I hold him in such high esteem that to see him involved in advertising pasta dishes in a promotion for a pizza restaurant doesn't sit well with me in the slightest.

I know he has had some financial troubles but i'd imagine he has made quite a bit from Blue Alert and the Sony re-releases, and i'm sure he still earns a lot in royalties. I bet also that his soon to be realised Album will sell furiously. Can it be that he may just be attempting to reach out to a new generation, or is it all about the money?

I'd really like to hear what others on the forum think. :? :? :? :? :?
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
Henning

Post by Henning »

I think that he agreed to this for the sake of Anjani's success, which completes the image of a generous man.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

I agree Henning, he is clearly an unselfish man. This was very evident at the Goodall Gallery, when Leonard gave his time freely to so many individuals in a very enthusiastic crowed (including me :D ). But I don't really see how his participation in a Pizza Poster will further the Leonard/Anjani cause. Was she on the poster also? It's difficult to comment in any real depth on this without seeing the actual poster, but it still doesn't sit well with me. Has he been involved in anything like this in the past? Does he get involved in this type of promotional work often?
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I don't see the Leonard-Anjani connection and why it would revert to being Anjani-related... and was the ad actually Leonard promoting anything? Or, was it simply a poster of Leonard displayed in the pizza place, with the ad as an overlay? Do they play music in the same way as Borders? I need more visual/print information.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Hi Lizzy

The ad was not just a poster --it was obviously being used in a promotional way, and from what Patrick said it sounds as if it was legal. Of course we don't know that, and as I mentioned I for one was very surprised to see it there. My other family members commented well why not. What do they know?!!!! They talked about all the ads Bob Dylan has done --hubby noted that Jude Law is in a tv ad. I simply shot daggers out of my eyes due to their inability to understand. There was nothing actually written on the poster itself, as I recall, but just above the two posters the Create your own pasta connection. Now I wish more than ever I had taken a picture.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Theresa ~
There was nothing actually written on the poster itself, as I recall, but just above the two posters the Create your own pasta connection. Now I wish more than ever I had taken a picture.
This really makes me wonder. Since the waitress didn't know who Leonard is, it means his name wasn't on the poster, so print type/style couldn't link the posters and the sign. Was the type paper or tone of it the same, to where they were clearly linked? Or, were they placed there beneath the sign... as Acceptable Decoration :wink: ... or the sign placed above the posters, since it had to go somewhere... ?

Yeah, Theresa!! NEXT time, would you mind taking a picture :lol: !?!

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Bobbie

Post by Bobbie »

Oh for crying out loud. Gimme a break. When are you guys gonna realize when Henning is in the midst of one of his infamous pranks? I'm the most surprised at you Lizzy, because you've known the infamous H a lot longer than some of the others here! heheh.. :--) Trust me, he is laughing his arse off now at this reaction, and it IS pretty funny...

Bobbie
(and now, Henning will probably play a joke on me, too) Or maybe I will win a prize. You just never know with him.
Henning

Post by Henning »

Oh yeah Bobbie, for once I tried to be hard and serious, I mean I tried hard to be serious and you come up with this. No prize for you today, I want you to remove the EOS CD from your car for one week. Speaking of Bobbie's car, have you ever picturegoogled "Bobby" and "car". The result is this:

http://images.google.de/images?q=bobby+ ... =N&ndsp=18

The world doesn't make sense anymore.

To be on topic again:

The headliner of the second Tower Of Song Festival in Wetzlar on May 3, 2008 is

Ad Vanderveen

It's a tribute to Neil Young. Ah Canadians, when they begin to sing there's chance they won't let you go.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Bobbie

Post by Bobbie »

Heh. Quite obviously you were hardly serious! I like your jokes so much that next time I see you, I will make some spaghetti for you. Tell Barbara she will have the night off from spaghetti duty. You can create your dream pasta, and I will make it a reality. As for EOS... well, I made a copy for my car, and I refuse to take it out. I am right now patiently waiting for the next rainy day so I can play it. Those bobby cars are great, too.. I especially like the one of the man wearing the white hat, driving the yellow car.

Ok, the bridge or someplace later.
B
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Too funny.....the great pasta caper..Lizzy the two posters on thick pasteboard, were suspended from the ceiling in the middle of the restaurant with the Create your own pasta sign suspended above them but quite distinctly separate. hmmmmm....what can it all mean? Henning's note that leonard is willing to go to the pizza shop for anjani , is oddly reassuring. I mean if he meets strange women for lunch ...I wonder if they had pizza..... Fear not dear Cohenites, my free speculation time is almost at an end. Perhaps I could make one more summer trip to Calgary to visit my relatives. If I do, I shall surely try to get that picture for lIzzy. (visions of Boston Pizza staff ejecting me forcibly)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Okay... one more, possibly qualifying question. Was the sign on thick pasteboard, as well? Or, a different material, like wood or something? I mean, perhaps, they're going to have two, different stars each month as part of an official campaign. A photo would be great, in ANY case :) . Surely, the staff would understand... :wink: . Thanks for the thought. May it come to fruition.

"The Great Pasta Caper" ~ kinda reminds me of "The Great Gatsby."

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
damellon

Post by damellon »

St Theresa - couldn't you send your mother-in-law back in or even your mother-in-laws brother-in-law the oft confused Archie back in? Would that be too confusing? :? Are they still talking to you?
Last edited by damellon on Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
dangermouse

Post by dangermouse »

Maybe the company give Leonard free pizza, they do it here all the time with the Royal Family.
I think it's cool.
I love pizza.
Bobby, still never did find out why your pic has you with the oxygen feed?
Would you mind saying?
Not prying but curious.
That's me
Thanks
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

Seems to me there's more than a good chance that the posters and the photos were separate. I can sleep now :D

Checked out that link Henning. Love the cars. I WANT ONE!!! Only thing; Where do you put the CD player? :?
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

You guys are just cracking me up. Mother in law is in a long term care facility very close to the restaurant. (and she loves pizza, but rarely remembers who I am) Archie, although 89 is in fine form and I saw him in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago at a wedding together with his wife Lillian who is 94. However, by now they are both back home in Ottawa--(on the other side of Canada). The wedding was well worth the trip and was also held in a restaurant on Kitsilano Beach (The Watermark) but alas no pizza. Lastly Lizzie you have me stumped. I was so taken with Leonard up there just looking so leonard- like, that I completely missed the material of the Create your own pasta sign. I did have a sighting of David Suzuki walking up West 4th street whilst in Vancouver. I was on the cell phone to my brother, trying to find his street, when suddenly there he was!! He was wearing a pink shirt.
There are some things that do stick in my mind but the material of the Create your own pasta sign has flown.

Return to “Blue Alert”