No DVD in the European edition of Blue Alert (?)

John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hi Red Poppy,

Admittedly, I might have overlooked Anjani if not for the Leonard connection, but it was her voice combined with the songs that convinced me. Now that I have the DVD, I also see that she is an excellent performer. I would grab the first opportunity to see her live, even if Leonard were definitely not appearing. On the strength of "Blue Alert", I've bought Anjani's first two albums, and am very pleased with them.

All the best, john E
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi John ~
I would grab the first opportunity to see her live, even if Leonard were definitely not appearing.
This would be a decision you'd be supremely glad you'd made. All happiness. No regrets.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Mark A. Murphy

All of it

Post by Mark A. Murphy »

I love Allison Crowe's cover of Hallelujah and even though she is beautiful, I do not desire to sleep with her. The same is true of Patricia O'Callaghan's cover of Hallelujah and her version of True Love Needs No Traces, she too is a beautiful looking woman, and extremely talented. What am I trying to say? I think Anjani is exceptionally talented and beautiful, but I think she has acquired an extra layer of mystery in virtue of the fact that she is Leonard's partner. As Cohenites, I guess we will always be attracted to the things that have those deep connections with Leonard. I love Stina Nordenstam's covers of Leonard's songs too. The list goes on, but what makes Anjani extra-special is her status as muse, she inspires and is inspiring.
"Everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it." Sylvia Plath
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

. . . muse, she inspires and is inspiring.
Yes, she is, Mark. Very true. No matter the number of songs, the shows ended too soon. I could have watched her all night.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Mark A. Murphy

Don't tell Leonard!

Post by Mark A. Murphy »

Don't tell Leonard, but i always had a 'thing' for Marianne J! (Well, most of the women I have been blessed with knowing have had a soft spot for Leonard!) The photograph of her on the back of the album, Songs From A Room is exquisite. I have a picture of her on the notice board in my study! Does anyone know if it was Leonard who took the picture? Also, was he living with Marianne on Hydra when he wrote Beautiful Losers?
"Everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it." Sylvia Plath
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Mark ~

With Marianne's casualness of undress and her apparent, comfort level, my guess is that it was Leonard who took the photo. Could be wrong on that... never even thought to question it. Just presumed it to be so.
Also, was he living with Marianne on Hydra when he wrote Beautiful Losers?
From all that I understand, yes. I was thinking it was Geoffrey, but now I'm thinking it may have been someone else, whom she told that she was living with Leonard on Hydra when "this" [Beautiful Losers] was written.

Marianne is a beautiful woman, both then and now.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hi Mark and Lizzy,

Quoting my own aricle "Leonard Cohen's Secret Chart":

It was here Hydra, between 1960 - 1966/8] that their[Leonard and Marianne's] relationship was to last for some six to eight years...However, contrary to popular myth, he did not live an idyllic life on Hydra for a six or more years with Marianne. He was, every few months, hopping between Hydra and Montreal for different periods, and also spending time in America and England. Thus, he was very much the "wandering jew".

So thus, "Beautiful Losers" published in 1966, and finished on Hydra with sunstroke and speed on the annual "day that the storks landed" would have been written (shall we say) during the Marianne era.

All good things, John E
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for your own, published clarification, John 8) .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Blue Alert”