Meetup NYC 24th April

Birdonawire

Meetup NYC 24th April

Post by Birdonawire »

Hi all,

Just thought I'd start a new thread as I couldn't remember where I saw others suggesting a meeting In NYC for the early Cohen/Anjani appearance. I have a ticket for the 9.30pm show on the 24th, but as I will be traveling from Ireland alone (my first time In NYC!!!) I thought It would be interesting to meet any other Forum members at the venue (or beforehand). If anyone Is going to the gig In New York and are Interested In meeting please let me know. It would be nice to meet and chat to some like minded people on the night.

Also, as I haven't booked anywhere to stay yet, I thought someone out there may have some suggestions as to where might be a good, reasonably priced hotel close to the venue. I was thinking of booking a room In The Chelsea Inn about half a mile from Joe's but would like to hear some other opinions. :idea:

Funny, as I am writing this, there is a tv programme on, narrated by David Attenborough, about intelligence tests involving an apparently very intelligent octopuss called 'Leonard!' Well, he does seem to have his arms in lots of things these days!! :wink:

Bird.
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
Hal E. Lujah

Gig

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

Hi,

From Ireland? I live in NY but don't have a ticket. Damn. I am scheming some way to buy the way in though. Don't know if I can pull it off. Rather than 11:30, it's too bad the other show could not be at 7:30, but that's show biz. Anyone got a ticket to sell?
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

Sorry, don't have a spare ticket. Good luck getting one though. Any suggestions on a good hotel to stay in?
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
Hal E. Lujah

hotel

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

Have you tried nyctourist.com? It depends on lots of things, of course. I usually stay at the Pennsylvania Hotel myself, but that's because the venue is there for me. It's reasonable, for New York, and has a view of the Empire State Building on one side. There are good YMCA hostels, which I am told are quite good, if money is a consideration. I would stay there. check their site.
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

Will do, cheers. Hope you get your ticket.
dick

Post by dick »

Hi Eric

Pennsylvania not a bad choice for reasonable rates... we are braving even cheaper territory for the 24th... St Marks Hotel is right around the corner from Joe's. Can't vouch for anything other than Linda and I and Linda's niece will be there.

Another interesting choice for cohen fans is the Chelsea Hotel...
you know, elevators, Janis, etc.

See ya at Joe's!
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

Thanks Dick,
but decided on a whim last night to book into my original choice of The Chelsea Inn. It was getting a bit too close to flight day next Monday so the nerves got the better of me in the end! It's only a place to lay my head at night so I'm not expecting much.

Certainly would have gone to THE Chelsea Hotel but It's a little too expensive for this trip, considering all other costs. May pop in to It for a drink though, just to have a look around (and maybe a quick go in the elevators!).

Have a look at my myspace link on this page. There's a pic of me there so if you can recognise me on the big night be sure to say hello.

Eric.
Hal E. Lujah

brief meet

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

Does anyone out there know how approachable LC would be at the Pub venue? Has anyone been at similar venues and had experience of this? In other words, will he be surrounded by security and remote, or would he be polite and open to brief words with devoted fans in this type of venue? Does anyone know how much of an intro he would be giving for Anjani? I have seen LC in concert but this is much different.

Thanks all.
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

I read in another thread that he was very approachable when he and Anjani appeared in the Cuckoo Club in London recently. They both spoke with devotees and signed autographs. This may have been because of the invited press audience, but lets hope they make a habit of it!!

There's a link to an excellent and detailed account with photos on the opening page of this site, Just under the picture of Len and Harry Rasky.

By the way,did you manage to get a ticket in the end?

Eric.
Hal E. Lujah

approachability

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

Well, no, they're sold out long ago. Times like this, I will just have to get in another way, or see what happens. too bad I am not 20, because the 11:30 is still open. LC may not officiate that one, but he will be there, I suspect. Might be easier to say hello.
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

Hope you have a lot of fun in NY as we did in 2004.

Birdonawire you can't pop in the Chelsea Hotel for a drink, but maybe a ride in the elevator is ok. Just like we did in Chelsea Hotel #3

http://members.chello.nl/w.lageveen/filmpje.html

Wybe
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi BirdOnAWire ~

Yes, Wybe is right... and the reason you can't drop in to the Chelsea for a drink is simply because they don't have a bar. I anticipated doing the very same thing and found out I was in error. You can sit for a bit in one of the comfy chairs in the amazing reception/entry area [see photos on this site from the 2004 New York Event] and people watch... or hang around outside to do the same thing... and then, of course, ride the infamous elevator... and then walk the inside stairs if you can to take in the natural lighting and the phenomenal artwork, some of which have been there fiftiessixtiesforever... in any case, you really must go ~ no matter what.

Watch Wybe & Willy's fun film to prepare yourself, first 8) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Hal E. Lujah

elevator

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

What's this about the elevator? I missed it. I don't recall anything in the song about an elevator. Help?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

"I'm looking for Kris Kristofferson... " . . . You're in luck, little lady... I'm Kris Kristofferson."

< *did I leave anything out in those two sentences? Maybe the word "Well" before "you're"?* >

That's part of the 'presumed' exchange that Leonard describes as part of some introductions of the song to audiences, telling how he would see Janis in the elevator night after night, and finally asked her 'why she was there.'

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
dick

Post by dick »

Don't let them discourage you from trying a beverage Hal

Bar/restaurant El Quijote is next door to the hotel. There used to be entry to it from the Chelsea lobby.... and word has it that most Chelsea denizons enjoyed the great Spanish food and drinks there... including LC.

We visit a couple of times a year and never come away disappointed.

The other thing a visit to the Chelsea will do.... after you read the wonderful momentos in front of the hotel about famous residents, you know that somehow we fans will have to assure a Cohen plaque gets there!

Return to “Blue Alert”