Blue Alert

Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

ImageImage
Additional "birthday gifts", Linmag :D

Happy Birthday too, Mirek :)

The venue of Blue Alert is a real feast.
linmag

Post by linmag »

How thoughtful! Thank you Tchoc :)
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Still from one of three videos directed by Lian Lunson. She wrote about the work with Anjani on her blog at Lion's Gate site:
I have been busy shooting and editing three videos for Anjani Thomas. Leonard Cohen produced her album which is due out this year called Blue Alert. Anjani is a really gifted singer and performer and with Leonard's graceful production, her album is a dream. Included in this post is a shot of one of the clips...She also is extremely beautiful.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Captivating shot of Anjani 8) . Thanks for posting it, along with the comment and links, Tom.

~ Lizzy
echoes

Post by echoes »

Hello!

I like the picture very much! Anjani looks strong and determined. 8)
A question: Is it Leonard Cohen's rocking horse in the background, the one from his house on Hydra? (I have seen it some documentary I think?!)

Manuel
Young dr. Freud

Post by Young dr. Freud »

You can hear two of the Blue Alert songs in the background of the Norwegian radio interview with Leonard.

YdF
A'af

Post by A'af »

After heard the clips from "Blue Alert"
The first come to my mind is, "Is this Leonard sings in this album or not?"
If not.... how come?? :?
Or maybe later, like Warnes "First We Take Manhattan" :D
But, is it Anjani album or Leonard album?

A'af
truth without a veil is uninteresting to human mind
Nightstalker

Post by Nightstalker »

Lizzie,
I doubt that any amatuer would produce a portrait as perfect as the one posted. I should hope for such luck! It takes too much lighting equipment, to much knowledge of how to properly expose whichever film one is using and the correct lens length on the best of cameras, not to mention an in depth knowledge of composition. The subject must also be prepared by a professional. These shots don't 'just happen'. It was likely selected by the photographer from hundreds of exposures and then presented to LC and Anjani and some other people among a group of 20-50 exposures so that they could choose the one they liked the best. The website credits Elyse Regher with the black and whites there, but it is likely that she also did the color shot or that someone who works for Leonard or his managers did them. (Regher is spelled Regehr according to several other links to her works. That is likely just a typo on the website and an old editor could not help noticing such. Where's my red pen........)

I think that the lyrics of the two snipets are Cohen's. He has many instances of veiwing relationships between men and women as some kind of war or conflict. The words like soldier and Shrapnel in the Blue Alert testify to this. And then the familiar theme of looking back on love and lovers and lost love is in the other one. To me this is all Leonard.

Her voice is very lovely and I hope that we hear the full range in the rest of the album. From her past works I get the feeling that she is a 'singer', LC and critics have dubbed her that also, and not a writer or composer so much. She is young and may develope that gift later.

Maybe Anne who has heard the entire album could shed more light on its contents. I hope she will here.
"For the captain had quitted the long drawn strife
And in far Simoree had taken a wife." (R Kipling)
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Lyrics are Leonard's, music is Anjani's. That's what they said in one of last week's interviews. In any case, the music is jazz (with couple of country touches, obviously Leonard's), and played on piano in improvisational style, so I'd say it's Anjani's, knowing Leonard's "Jazz Police":-)
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Hello folks - long time no 'see'. In case you didn't already know, the video of Leonard & Anjani's Innermost Door has been uploaded to YouTube: :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6nQoQQu ... rd%20cohen
The lion and the calf shall lie down together, but the calf won't get much sleep.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Leonard Cohen has to sing Never Got to Love You Absolutly.

Not that I don't like Anjani, she sings so wonderfully, particularly on Thanks for the Dance but I would like so much to hear some songs of this album by Leonard, I feel it like a lost.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Ah. Yes. There's Jim with YouTube info. Great video on that site - shall check it out.
I love the way the light comes across her eyes. So naturally beautiful.
It's more than just photography, I think, Nightstalker. There's an intensity and intelligence/determination in her eyes that's very attractive. But, yes, what a shot! Perfume commercial - sure, why not? Accolades all around. Beautiful woman, beautiful voice. We should all be doubly blessed. Oh! Leonard's love? OK. Triply. Holy man! That can't be pure luck.

Echoes - you're right. There's a horse in the background. Hadn't noticed (who did but you??!) Interesting aside.
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

"There's an intensity and intelligence/determination in her eyes that's very attractive."
Forgive my ongoing cynicism but it's simply a pose - it's not a life-changing moment.
I think we are in danger of travelling up the river of obsession here again.
Hold the horses - please!
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Actually, looking again, I can see damn all of her eyes.
To misquote LC - "Whatever happened to her intelligence/determination happened to my eyes."
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Oh, sure, of course it's a pose, but an attractive one, in my eyes. Just goes to show that beauty's in the eye of the beholder. I, of course, was referring to the pic. on the previous page, as I didn't get to post immediately after that particular shot was uploaded. Whichever pic one chooses, it's a nice pose.

Linda.

Return to “Blue Alert”