Bench updates

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
mutti

Re: Bench updates

Post by mutti »

My thought for the day -
I hope the bench project gets to stay in Hydra. The location chosen and the bench area seems to be perfect. If not I would love to see it in Montreal. I would say it would be important to have it in a place Leonard's family would feel comfortable with. Here's hoping for Hydra!
Leslie 8)
Last edited by mutti on Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Let's hope it will be Hydra, the place that's so meaningful both to LC himself and our community...
Olwen

Post by Olwen »

It's beginning to look like those of you lucky enough to go to Hydra this summer may get to see Leonard's birthday bench. I remember the thrill when we heard that he had read our names. I think of him a lot.
Olwen
Olwen
Plymouth 1976, Kilmainham Dublin 2008, 02 Dublin 2009, Lissadel Sligo 2010,
Kilmainham, Dublin 2012, 02 Dublin 2013, Leonard Cohen Dublin Event 2014.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Olwen wrote:It's beginning to look like those of you lucky enough to go to Hydra this summer may get to see Leonard's birthday bench. I remember the thrill when we heard that he had read our names. I think of him a lot.
Olwen
My sentiments exactly, Olwen! If I can't be there in person at least my name will be!

THE BENCH

I read every name.
I bow my head in gratitude.

Leonard
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Time for another update, thanks to Lakis!
Some light in the tunnel, but the problem has not yet been solved. Let's keep fingers crossed.

Lakis reports:
Hydra's mayor, Mr. George Koukoudakis and the organizer of cultural happenings on the island, Mr. Panagiotis Rappas have gone twice to Athens to discuss our project at the Archeological Office. The Office has informed them that the original plan will not be accepted because there are no similar objects on the island. They want our bench to follow the traditional style of the island.

Following this and the long delay in the project, our original architect Mr. George Xydis has retired.

There is now a new plan made by Mr. Andronikos, an experienced architect who has been working for years on new and renovated buildings on Hydra. The plan will be presented to the board of archeologists in Athens next week. Later this month it will be discussed at the Municipal Council. The bench can be built in 1-2 weeks after approval from Athens and the Council.
We have not yet seen the new plan. I hope to get it after the meeting in Athens, and will post it here.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Thanks for the update Jarkko! I salute and admire the patience and stamina of all those that have been involved in realizing this project but fear that this whole bureaucratic dragging will last for years to come. First it was a permit issue, then a neighbor that complained and now it is an architectural issue? Where almost two years down the road and it seems that the whole process is starting all over again.

There have been suggestions on another place where the bench can be placed (Canada amongst them). I would suggest that if by the end of the summer there is still no definitive plan and approval we move forward and take back control in realizing this wonderful bench in a place were it is appreciated.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I got this promising email from George Xydis, the architect who made the original plans (members who were on the island two years ago at our meetup have met him). He is working on the project again.
Some good news at last for the Bench project! After meeting with the director of the Archaelogy Service in her Pireaus offices we agreed to a meeting on the island, so that I could explain the project to her.
We met on Hydra last Wednesday. After mutual discussion and explanations (the Ministry's delays was one), we finally decided that the project can be re-examined by the Monuments Council the soonest, so that the works can start. She did not agree about the letters of Leonard's poem on the rock-surface, as the surface is quite uneven, and I tend to agree.
I will submit the soonest a new dossier with the same proposal, minus the letters.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

HugoD

Post by HugoD »

jarkko wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 4:19 pm Image
That emoticon is very promising :D . Can't wait to go to Hydra in a couple of weeks.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

I am on the island now and there is no sign of anything happening. Just two days of General Strike and rain.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Lakis reports: "The Office has informed them that the original plan will not be accepted because there are no similar objects on the island."

This is untrue. There are two maybe three similar stone benches (albeit linear) on the road to Mandraki.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Dem

Post by Dem »

Dear hydriot

the benches on the way to Mandraki are much more
simple than the original plan.

I don't know however what exactly the new plan looks like.

Dem
Athens 2008, Prague 2009, Paris 2012
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Photo by Caren & Hans (today, June 4)

Bench in progress... :D

and here is another photo by Claudia:
charasd

Post by charasd »

Hello eveybody!
I just came back from Hydra.
It's such a pity that I was unaware of the upcoming meeting next weekend... I'd love to be there with all L.C.'s fans to celebrate his (many) gift(s) to us.
I was wondering... Can I still contribute for the bench? I would really love to be a part of this. Thank you. :)
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Hi!
We had the fund raising campaign three years ago (we wanted to celebrate Leonard's 80th birthday in September 2014 but some local Greek problems have delayed it until now; now it will be dedicated to Leonard's memory).

Our members donated more than we need for the bench. The surplus is waiting to be donated to local charity but we have had the project on hold while waiting the bench to be ready. For the time being the accounts that we used back in 2014 are closed, but we could think of re-opening them. Any new money would also go to charity. I think we will discuss this on Hydra next weekend.
Jarkko

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”