Bench updates

A section for our Birthday Campaign. tributes around the world and your birthday greetings
jongrep
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:50 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Re: Bench updates

Postby jongrep » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:55 am

MarieM wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:26 pm
Our bench is now a park.

Steve Silberman @stevesilberman tweets:

Wonderful: A little park on the most beautiful promontory on Hydra, where singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen bought a house for $1500 in 1960.
Unfortunately it is not a park. I was on Hydra two weks ago. Something should be done about the ugly rocks and the earth behind the bench.
199Dan
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:52 pm

Re: Bench updates

Postby 199Dan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:46 am

May I just ask what your ideas are ?
User avatar
LisaLCFan
Posts: 1467
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Bench updates

Postby LisaLCFan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:52 am

jongrep wrote:Something should be done about the ugly rocks and the earth behind the bench.

Indeed, who wants to see ugly rocks and dirt on a hill alongside a nature path? While they're at it, they could do something about the sea: all that water and salt is terribly messy and corrosive.

199Dan wrote:May I just ask what your ideas are ?

I've got one! They could put up a 20-storey concrete wall behind the bench, on which somebody could paint a giant mural of Leonard! That would be so much nicer to look at than shabby old rocks and dirt.
MaryB
Posts: 3952
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:40 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio USA

Re: Bench updates

Postby MaryB » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:03 am

LisaLCFan wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:52 am
jongrep wrote:Something should be done about the ugly rocks and the earth behind the bench.

Indeed, who wants to see ugly rocks and dirt on a hill alongside a nature path? While they're at it, they could do something about the sea: all that water and salt is terribly messy and corrosive.

199Dan wrote:May I just ask what your ideas are ?

I've got one! They could put up a 20-storey concrete wall behind the bench, on which somebody could paint a giant mural of Leonard! That would be so much nicer to look at than shabby old rocks and dirt.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
jongrep
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:50 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Contact:

Re: Bench updates

Postby jongrep » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:51 pm

199Dan wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:46 am
May I just ask what your ideas are ?
Architects and landscape architects are better qualified than me to propose concrete measures. The way it is now, it is pretty ugly, and the earth may slide down in heavy rainfall. The earth and rocks behind the bench should be cleared to some extent, and there should be some vegetation to keep the earth in place.
JG
User avatar
hydriot
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 3:07 am
Location: back in the UK

Re: Bench updates

Postby hydriot » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:03 pm

The real problem is the lack of shade. I have seen people sitting on the nearby ordinary wooden bench rather than on Leonard's simply because the former is shady. The bench is north facing, so a tree planted behind it would really help.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988

Return to “Leonard Cohen 80 years on September 21, 2014”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests