CD v. DVD of Live in Dublin?

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
AlexandraLaughing

CD v. DVD of Live in Dublin?

Post by AlexandraLaughing »

Which do you prefer as regards Live in Dublin- listening to the CDs or watching the DVD?

I find it's a very different experience. Actually, watching the band live is terrifying (but the I've never seen him live and for real). Though interesting. You can feel the terror of the first few songs until he settles in (from everyone, not just LC). I now understand why he always starts with 'Dance me to the end of love'- it really is 'Dance me through the panic 'til I'm gathered safely in'. He panics up until Everybody Knows, delivers the line 'Take one last look at this sacred heart before it blows', and then he's fine.

But this was my first 'live' LC album- very different from the studio albums, because the role of the instruments is so completely different.
jerry

Re: CD v. DVD of Live in Dublin?

Post by jerry »

Terror? Are you watching a horror movie? Strange choice of words.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
AlexandraLaughing

I'm the sort of person who never ever watches horror movies because even Bambi is more than I can cope with. So watching LC in action is like watching a high-wire act.

There's probably a medical name for the condition these days- I've met several others who have it. A Classics professor I know can't even go to the cinema because even Toy Story 3 would leave him with nightmares for weeks afterwards (seriously).
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

We know Leonard really likes to give his best , at least , for all shows.I'm sure that must generate some anxiety but it's never been particularly visible in the recent tours. For sure ' fear' was very present in Fredericton , then got less and less!

So sorry ,Alexandralaughing , you didn't make any shows. It looks like it's too late now, but if not try to go to one .i'm sure you will cope with the ' terror'! it's better than Bambi.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
AlexandraLaughing

I really wish I had seen him live, but I think I came a bit too late to the party. Never mind (not nevermind). I am sure it would be completely different live, not terrifying for the audience at least, because the atmosphere would be electric. I have been asking myself how far I would go and how much I would pay to see him (I live in Edinburgh). Somewhere like Germany or Holland would be a good place to see him, I imagine. I can't help feeling the Dublin audience were a bit tame (unless it just didn't come over). There's this hilarious moment when he says he knows how dearly the Irish have bought their peace, and they think he's talking about the price of the tickets- then they remember rather sheepishly they are supposed to be an oppressed nation, or to care about Northern Ireland (not sure which the ref was to- I'm half Irish, by the way). I really laughed at that point.
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

I'm pretty sure the audience weren't tame but they've been muted a bit too much for my liking so that a true flavour of their input doesn't reach us. A pity- I'm not saying I wanted every bit of crowd chatter or the odd drunken excess captured but a bit more flavour would have rendered the recording more atmospheric in my book.

As for the CD and DVD's being different experiences, well the obvious difference in format applies but more interestingly, are there differences in the sound which make the DVD superior?

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”