Live in Dublin Sound

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
davidrichards

Re: Live in Dublin Sound

Post by davidrichards »

Having contacted Amazon about the "faulty" DVD being out of sync. they were extremely helpful and sent a replacement immediately. Sad to say the replacement is exactly the same with lack of synchronisation between audio and video. Obviously Amazon cannot be expected to do the quality control that Sony should have done in the first place and yet another replacement will probably only result in yet another faulty DVD. I am sure that it will get me absolutely nowhere but I intend to contact Sony and also copy the email to Leonard's management company so that they are aware that those who are unlucky enough to purchase one of these faulty copies (assuming the faulty copies are indeed only a minority of the releases) really are being ripped off by Sony's lack of knowledge of the problem or at the worst their lack of concern/responsibility that they are selling a faulty product which does not live up to what is expected in this day and age.
panjandrum

Post by panjandrum »

I would agree that it doesn't sound up to the actual sound of his concerts (I've seen him 4 times now, twice on each of the last two tours). But I no longer have the old-school fantastic equipment that I used to have, so I don't really have any way to directly compare... (How many of us are listening to this on equipment good enough to even come close to reproducing the full sound of a live concert? Not many of us I'm sure...) To me, pretty much everything sounds kind of crappy out of modern "it's all highs and lows" equipment. I would love to have my old set of Altec Lansing full-range 8" speakers (passed on to me from a true audiophile who had them custom-built the late 50's) back, as they produced the purest and smoothest sound I've every heard, but to get sound of that quality now is terribly expensive. Combine that with the crappy way they produce everything to be "loud" now (compresses overall dynamics considerably) and you've a LOT of issues to work-around to get great sound. A couple years back I went to try and reproduce the quality of sound I used to have for a total of about $500 investment, and couldn't even come close at $500 PER SPEAKER ALONE. It was sad. I had to give up on ever having great sound again. Pretty much anything at a reasonable price is a sub with surrounds and zero fullness. I think that's what we are missing.
RainDog1980

Post by RainDog1980 »

I recently purchased this, even after reading all the bad sound reviews.

I listened to it first on headphones, then again in my car. I've got to say, I am thrilled I made the leap and bought it. I think the sound is great, particularly on the headphones.

The only thing I thought was curious was that during the recitation, Neil Larsen was near indiscernible on the car stereo. Otherwise, I felt the audience mix was perfect, and actually enjoyed how they mixed the ladies and certain instruments in different channels, and pushed Leonard across it all.
IlGio

Post by IlGio »

Hi guys , someone knows if Live in Dublin was released also in Vinyls ?
Citizen_Kane

Post by Citizen_Kane »

IlGio wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:40 pm Hi guys , someone knows if Live in Dublin was released also in Vinyls ?
No, Live in Dublin was not released on vinyl. On Discogs you'll find all versions:
https://www.discogs.com/Leonard-Cohen-L ... ter/766210
2008: Manchester, Brussels (2), Rotterdam - 2009: Lisboa - 2010: Lille, Dortmund - 2012: Ghent (3), Amsterdam (2) - 2013: Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam!

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”