The Dublin live BluRay/DVD/3CD now announced

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
John Etherington

Re: The Dublin live BluRay/DVD/3CD now announced

Post by John Etherington »

This may have been discussed already, but when I looked at the CDs/DVD in Fopp today, it said that the DVD is NTSC. Does anyone know if it will play on Region 2 players? By the way, the DVD and Blue Ray versions look virtually identical (you have to look at the small print) so I suspect there will be some confusion here.
jerry

Post by jerry »

John Etherington wrote:This may have been discussed already, but when I looked at the CDs/DVD in Fopp today, it said that the DVD is NTSC. Does anyone know if it will play on Region 2 players? By the way, the DVD and Blue Ray versions look virtually identical (you have to look at the small print) so I suspect there will be some confusion here.
But the blu ray version should be about $10 more than the standard dvd.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
John Etherington

That doesn't answer my question!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

All copies sold in Europe are NTSC and Region B (2) although the region is not printed on the case.
DVDs and BluRays have different type of cases. The blue BR case is smaller in size, too.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
John Etherington

The cases look identical, apart from the price (unless you scrutinize the smallest small print). Since they're placed next to each other in shops, it would be easy to pick up the wrong one if one of them sells out.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

br.jpg
br.jpg (121.73 KiB) Viewed 21789 times
The cover art is the same but the cases are different.
This is the BluRay case.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

John Etherington wrote:This may have been discussed already, but when I looked at the CDs/DVD in Fopp today, it said that the DVD is NTSC. Does anyone know if it will play on Region 2 players? By the way, the DVD and Blue Ray versions look virtually identical (you have to look at the small print) so I suspect there will be some confusion here.
Hi john
I recieved the bluray in the post last friday , and noticed it said ntsc- so feared it might not work in my ' region specific' uk blu ray player.
However worked perfectly.

Somewhat later I googled dvd/bluray compatibilty issues and found this helpful. Seems that more generally region 2 ntsc disc are likely to work on our players!

Film on a DVD is stored in digital format, and is formatted for one of two TV standards (NTSC or PAL). So apart from the region code issue there is the problem of disc format (two different formats of DVD, NTSC or PAL).

The UK, Europe, Australia, etc use the PAL system

Japan, USA and Canada use the NTSC system.

If you can't play a PAL format DVD, although you have a multi-region DVD player, it's most likely to be your TV that is the problem and not the DVD.

COMPATIBILITY

Most DVD players and TVs sold in PAL countries can play both formats of discs, however, this does not mean they can play any DVD (because of region restrictions). For example, a basic European DVD player (PAL Region 2 only) will be able to play a Japanese disc (NTSC Region 2), but not necessarily a US (NTSC Region 1) disc. An American basic DVD player (NTSC Region 1) will not play any other Region DVD irrespective of format.

david
Last edited by cohenadmirer on Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
James T

Post by James T »

The cases for the DVD and Blu Ray /CD sets are the same and hard to distinguish between. The shops should make it clearer, but it doesn't matter much to me anyway now cause I spotted the small print on the back.

Looking forward to watching it later.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

jarkko wrote:
br.jpg
The cover art is the same but the cases are different.
This is the BluRay case.
In the uk it seems they are being sold as ' digipaks'- not in the larger dvd/bluray cases, and the bluray/dvd packs look very very similar so have to look more carefully to confirm whether a dvd or bluray!
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
songwriter

Post by songwriter »

I now have received this item and feel like I can comment.

I think it is very enjoyable, but there is something about it that makes it feel less special than the "live in london" release. It is hard to pinpoint why. I think the band and Leonard sounded better at the london gig, even though I preferred the band without Dino when I saw them live. Also Leonard's humour and humble manner between songs is missing at this dublin show. His small speeches at the london gig were very touching indeed.

I do not know if it's the production quality but Leonard's voice sounds more pleasing on the London disc as do the band to my ears.

I still love and will cherish this item, but when i want to listen to a live Leonard performance, I think I will be reaching for the London gig, or the Isle of Wight, before Dublin.
Franks

Post by Franks »

songwriter wrote:I now have received this item and feel like I can comment.

I think it is very enjoyable, but there is something about it that makes it feel less special than the "live in london" release. It is hard to pinpoint why. I think the band and Leonard sounded better at the london gig, even though I preferred the band without Dino when I saw them live. .
I have similar feelings about this release. I think it is the poor sound mix.
Frank.
Townes

Post by Townes »

I see that amazon are listing just the blu-ray:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cohen-Leonard-L ... 038&sr=1-2
Anyone know if is this legit?
The CD's would just gather dust on my shelf so this appeals but it seems to be coming from a third party, which makes me a bit nervous.
jerry

Post by jerry »

Amazon UK has stopped selling the 3cd/blu ray. This is what they say:

Item Under Review

This product is not currently offered by Amazon.co.uk because a customer recently told us that the item he or she received was not as described.

We are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. In the meantime, you may still find this product available from other sellers on this page.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-In-Dublin- ... se_p_img_1
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
LenMaster

Post by LenMaster »

Just finished watching and listening to this concert and apart from the sound issues and the promotional issues i have to say that this is a monumental release. At times i felt like i was present at the concert, the band is really happening and tight and the vocalist are in fine form.
More over, one gets the sense that Leonard really wanted us to have the best they got. And he succeeded. At times, he was not only talking to the crowd in Dublin, but also at the viewers at home.
It is hard to choose the best live release, such is the standard he set. We are blessed.
jerry

Post by jerry »

See my post above. Anyone know why Amazon UK is no longer selling the cd/bluray? They claim a customer complained that there was a problem. A single customer can cause Amazon to stop selling an item? Strange.
Leonard Cohen

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”