The Dublin live BluRay/DVD/3CD now announced

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
JudasPriest

Re: The Dublin live BluRay/DVD/3CD now announced

Post by JudasPriest »

Encouraging to hear Alan but when you say the sound is excellent, is it not the same mix as we've heard on the samples? Does it not sound somewhat more flat and lifeless than Songs From The Road? I hope not but fear so.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

AlanM wrote:I collected my BluRay disc and 3 CD set a couple of hours ago.
Visuals are stunning, lip-sync is spot-on and the sound is excellent.
I'm happy - no, make that delighted.
I'm amused to see Leif described in the booklets as "Guitar Technician and Boffin".
No sign of Crazy To Love You on the menu on my disc (see above).
I wonder if Jarkko has a secret code to get us to a hidden track on the disc.
The Anyhow track includes the extended taking up smoking/jazz combo introduction.

Must return to watching now.
Alan
Officially out earlier than anticipated in Australia??? Anyway thanks for the very positive first report which wets my appetite even more :D
I'm not expecting 'Crazy to love you' !
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
songwriter

Post by songwriter »

gosh I have just read through this thread and what a rollercoaster ride it has been!

I dearly hope the favorable report from Alan is indeed the case. The disappointment will be soul destroying if this DVD is anything less than exquisite.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Fear not, fellow Cohenites, the sound is brilliant. As suggested, I followed up watching Live In Dublin BluRay by playing Closing Time on Songs From The Road BluRay.
To my ears there is no difference in sound quality.
Songs From The Road is a multi-venue disc so there are different audio "footprints" between tracks and that doesn't occur on Live In Dublin.
I resisted the temptation to watch the internet preview videos, but did listen to the audio of Suzanne via my computer speakers. I thought it was all right, but nothing like the quality from a proper sound system.
Closing my eyes in the midst of my 5.1 speakers, I could feel myself at a live concert, if it hadn't been for the dog on my lap. Yes, a proper concert experience.

Re the balance between Leonard, the band and the audience, I think it has been done very well. The audience were not overwhelming when singing during I'm Your Man and Marianne.
At the beginning of 1000 Kisses Deep there is an interjection from the audience that stopped Leonard, but I didn't catch it, however he did comment and then restarted the recitation.

Bev, you will be delighted as there are plenty of close-ups of Alex and his violin.

The only negative comments I would make after one viewing are in regards to the lighting.
During Famous Blue Raincoat the overhead spotlight spills over the brim of Leonard's hat a few times resulting in the end of his nose being much brighter than the rest of his face.
During If It Be Your Will there is/was a yellow spot used on The Webb Sisters - gave them both flaxen coloured hair, but did little for their complexions - bit jaundiced!

Re release date, it appears that Friday is the main day to release new music in Australia and 28th is the officially listed release. I pre-ordered my discs by phone and got an SMS this afternoon, so needless to say I headed off ASAP. JB Hi-Fi website said that internet orders are sent out the day before the official date and I guess the stores get their copies the same day. Anyhow (to coin a song title) I'm not complaining.

I'll be interested in the opinions of others.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I've just looked at Everybody Knows https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IfmiKn ... eG3Sw0LPOA and found the lip-sync was out.
I then updated my CODECs and downloaded the same track and it seems OK now.

This is the source I have used for several years, I presume there are others:
http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec ... wnload.htm

BEWARE - there is "bundled software" on offer that you have to opt out from. Check each screen during setup before clicking next.

Alan
Last edited by AlanM on Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
songwriter

Post by songwriter »

AlanM wrote:Fear not, fellow Cohenites, the sound is brilliant. As suggested, I followed up watching Live In Dublin BluRay by playing Closing Time on Songs From The Road BluRay.
To my ears there is no difference in sound quality.
Songs From The Road is a multi-venue disc so there are different audio "footprints" between tracks and that doesn't occur on Live In Dublin.
I resisted the temptation to watch the internet preview videos, but did listen to the audio of Suzanne via my computer speakers. I thought it was all right, but nothing like the quality from a proper sound system.
Closing my eyes in the midst of my 5.1 speakers, I could feel myself at a live concert, if it hadn't been for the dog on my lap. Yes, a proper concert experience.

Re the balance between Leonard, the band and the audience, I think it has been done very well. The audience were not overwhelming when singing during I'm Your Man and Marianne.
At the beginning of 1000 Kisses Deep there is an interjection from the audience that stopped Leonard, but I didn't catch it, however he did comment and then restarted the recitation.

Bev, you will be delighted as there are plenty of close-ups of Alex and his violin.

The only negative comments I would make after one viewing are in regards to the lighting.
During Famous Blue Raincoat the overhead spotlight spills over the brim of Leonard's hat a few times resulting in the end of his nose being much brighter than the rest of his face.
During If It Be Your Will there is/was a yellow spot used on The Webb Sisters - gave them both flaxen coloured hair, but did little for their complexions - bit jaundiced!

Re release date, it appears that Friday is the main day to release new music in Australia and 28th is the officially listed release. I pre-ordered my discs by phone and got an SMS this afternoon, so needless to say I headed off ASAP. JB Hi-Fi website said that internet orders are sent out the day before the official date and I guess the stores get their copies the same day. Anyhow (to coin a song title) I'm not complaining.

I'll be interested in the opinions of others.

Alan

Thank you so much for this kind review Alan. You have set many minds at ease I am sure!
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Thanks for that detailed overview Alan. Sounds like the release on that format will be good. I hope the digital release is as satisfying...
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

The Blu-Ray disc, and I presume the DVD, has a run time on 3 hours and 10 minutes, not including the 3 extra tracks (16 minutes and 20 seconds).
I haven't yet been able to get the 3 extra tracks to play in sequence - each one needs to be cued individually - they don't appear to flow on after the main concert. Maybe I need to sit through the FBI warnings in several languages - can't skip over those.
The 3 CD set has a run time of 3 hours and 1 minute. Some of the chat (e.g. the interruption at the start of recitation) and probably some of the applause has been edited out.

Alan
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

AlanM wrote: At the beginning of 1000 Kisses Deep there is an interjection from the audience that stopped Leonard, but I didn't catch it, however he did comment and then restarted the recitation.
On second watching I turned on the subtitles at the start of recitation, which follows I'm Your Man.
A lady from the audience calls out "I'm your woman".
LC "Thank you". Then after a pause "Just thinking about what that might mean. I don't know."

Alan

p.s. second watching (and listening) is just as good as the first.
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

That woman was behind us at the concert. It was so funny and can be heard on my video of the recitation. On a bus now so can't link it.
I have my copy of Live in Dublin purchased and looking forward to viewing tonight :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The video is now in the shops here in Finland. I got the BluRay today and have now watched it once, using my video projector and HiFi sound system.
All I can say is this: it's brilliant.
I am so happy that we have now a complete concert of the Old Ideas tour in such an impressive quality.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Still waiting here in the UK - official release date is next Monday.

Some of you will know that I have never watched Live in London or Songs From the Road. I said I would watch them when my memories from the shows I attended were starting to fade and I needed a booster. That day has not yet come BUT I may just relent and watch Live in Dublin .... on our pathetically low tech DVD player!

Wendy
mutti

Post by mutti »

My order is due to arrive on December 2nd. I am so happy to hear the good reports and can hardly wait!
Thanks
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Its out in the uk .Got home to find it delivered . 8)
I have people around tonight who aren't cohen fans so will have to wait before seeing the whole thing .
However - looked at some of it ( blu ray , good 6 channel av amp) . It looks and sounds superb.....much better than the ' spoilers' suggest !

twelve out of ten at least !!
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
B4real

Post by B4real »

AlanM wrote:Bev, you will be delighted as there are plenty of close-ups of Alex and his violin.
Ah Alan, an absolute bonus to look forward to :D

As you know, unfortunately I've been occupied with other things and still am. From yesterday we started going through mum’s house, sorting furniture etc. Consequently, I still haven’t made arrangements to get my discs yet. I could have bought them on line at JB’s but I wanted to go to their closest store which is 40 klms away and buy a blue ray player as well and haven't had the time to do so. Can you recommend any brand, type you think is good?

Wendy, maybe you could get the same one Alan suggests too :)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”