The Dublin live BluRay/DVD/3CD now announced

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
HugoD

Re: The Dublin live BluRay/DVD/3CD now announced

Post by HugoD »

I received my copy also today. Bought the blu-ray with the cd's. I have to say that the soundquality is very good in stereo mode. I also played the blu-ray in surround mode but find the sound not as " crisp" as in stereo mode which surprises me as the songs from the road blu ray sounds excellent in surround mode on the same system.
Will have to listen more often and perhaps fidldle a bit with the settings of my soundsystem to improve the surround experience.

But overall very happy with this release :D
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

B4real wrote:Can you recommend any brand, type you think is good?
Hi Bev,
Sorry I can't help you much there.
I bought an LG model a few years ago that has a hard drive recorder as well, so I am not tied to the whims of TV programmers. I am happy with it other than for the absence of a "chase play" feature.
Some BluRay players are advertised at amazingly cheap prices now (without hard drive recorder), but I haven't studied them as I don't need to buy at present.
I would guess that they all have an HDMI connection, but ask just to be sure. Buy a decent HDMI cable - I got a cheap one ($50) at one stage and had recurring problems with it - had to keep fiddling at the back of the TV to make it work. New cable ($100) = no more problems.
Maybe a search on your favourite internet search engine would be a good idea.

Good luck,

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

I've just finished my first full viewing and the sound is OUTSTANDING, and I have an ancient DVD player and a TV that is as old as the dinosaurs. Absolutely brilliant.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
jerry

Post by jerry »

Not crazy about the digipak thing. I thought this was going to be an actual boxset given that it's 4 discs.That would have been a lot classier than a big fat digipak.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

AlanM wrote:
B4real wrote:Can you recommend any brand, type you think is good?
Hi Bev,
Sorry I can't help you much there.
I bought an LG model a few years ago that has a hard drive recorder as well, so I am not tied to the whims of TV programmers. I am happy with it other than for the absence of a "chase play" feature.
Some BluRay players are advertised at amazingly cheap prices now (without hard drive recorder), but I haven't studied them as I don't need to buy at present.
I would guess that they all have an HDMI connection, but ask just to be sure. Buy a decent HDMI cable - I got a cheap one ($50) at one stage and had recurring problems with it - had to keep fiddling at the back of the TV to make it work. New cable ($100) = no more problems.
Maybe a search on your favourite internet search engine would be a good idea.

Good luck,

Alan
A lot of good quality budget blu ray players out there. The ' what hifi ' 2014 awards best ' budget ' player is the Sony BDP S5 200.
A well made but cheap hdmi cable should , theoretically , be as good as the more expensive ones. In the UK you can get ones that work perfectly for less than £10
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks AlanM and cohenadmirer, for your welcomed input I'll take it on board from here 8)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
RickD

Post by RickD »

I think I've done something right when 16 year old returned from a trip to JB Hifi to use a gift card and comes home with Live in Dublin instead of a PS4 game! :D
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

RickD you are a champion.
I doffs me cap to ye sir!

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
ursula48

Post by ursula48 »

I absolutely adore this brilliant DVD (in stereo)! Am I right that all the songs are from the second Dublin concert (12th September)? Every time the cameras capture the audience I can see myself in the first row :D and I was only present at the second one. ulla :D
byboyne

Post by byboyne »

Just watched the full concert last night (Blu-Ray) and thought it was excellent. No issues with syncing and the sound was excellent on my surround sound system. Well done to Ed Sanders and team. Still don't know how those 'promotional clips' ever got put out!
Yes there was editing of the Dublin crowd participation and maybe takes away a little for those of us who were at the concert, but overall it makes it a well balanced experience for everyone, even the purist dare I say.

I had forgotten the actual time that the concert runs for. Leonard's stamina and energy is nothing short of amazing. And I for one am truly grateful to have had the chance to witness some of these recent concerts.

Something to treasure!
Dublin 1988, 2008/2009. Amsterdam 2008,Hamburg 2009,Sligo 2010,Dublin 2012, Dublin 2013.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Just in case there is anyone in the UK/ Ireland etc who has not yet got round to ordering the DVD/CD set, you might like to know that Amazon UK have reduced their price down to £16.88 (that's even cheaper than my pre-order price of £16.89!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00O ... hptrk_scth

The BluRay set is £22.49

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Dublin-3-C ... lin+bluray

Free Super Saver Delivery if you don't mind waiting a few days for it!

Wendy
susanne30072009

Post by susanne30072009 »

My first set of a view, that I orderd, has arrived two days ago; I was totally excited! And I can say, that the set is in a much better quality then "Live in London".... The shots are better chosen, and you can feel, that Leonard Cohen, Sharon, the Webbs, Javier, Mitch, Alexandru, Rafael and Neil are in a very relaxed, but focused mood. I think, it has something to do with the experiences over the years (of course() and with the place... you can hear the audience singing; you can clearly see, that this must have be a Magic night.... A lot of shots from the whole stage and from behind to the audience; very god! And Leonard Cohen is in absolute control, no doubt, but he's giving every musician his room.... and what I really like is that this recording is nearly "uncut", so we have almost the whole concert. And the Sound-Mix for the CD/DVD/BLUERAY is, as I wrote before, way better then back in 2008... more balanced. And one of the Highlights on the DVD/BLUERAY is "Anyhow".... As I wrote it another post, I had my doubts on "Anyhow"-Studio-Cut. I never found something like a "key" to this Song.... but since I heard the first live-Version of it I hoped, that we will have this treasure on a Disc sometime... and here it is.... such a beautiful Arrangement with Leonard's funny Intro with the "Smoking again", "the Nurse with he stockings", "the Bubbles" etc., how he "played" (or "act") with the words on the stage like "You told me things you like to do which I was not alloud but I want to tell you, that I like to do them now".... see his look... All in all: It is not just another live-Record of Leonard Cohen, it is a Milestone of his live-recordings with new Songs.... I really do like the "realxed" style from all of the Persons on the stage.... A simple "must have"... And that's why I hope for a another Tour, because if we see what he did with "Anyhow" in a live-Performance, I really would like to know, how "Nevermind", "A Street", "You got me singing" wold "work" live.... Well, Christmas is near and all of us have one wish free or so, right?!?
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

susanne30072009 wrote:"... And that's why I hope for a another Tour, because if we see what he did with "Anyhow" in a live-Performance, I really would like to know, how "Nevermind", "A Street", "You got me singing" wold "work" live.... Well, Christmas is near and all of us have one wish free or so, right?!?
I'm sure we all heartilly agree :D
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Mabeanie1 wrote:Just in case there is anyone in the UK/ Ireland etc who has not yet got round to ordering the DVD/CD set, you might like to know that Amazon UK have reduced their price down to £16.88 (that's even cheaper than my pre-order price of £16.89!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00O ... hptrk_scth

The BluRay set is £22.49

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Dublin-3-C ... lin+bluray

Free Super Saver Delivery if you don't mind waiting a few days for it!

Wendy
So i wonder whether the new amazon price will hold for all orders , including those preordered at a higher price .Should do under their rules unless they have already been dispatched !
Anyway , I ordered the blu ray from base.com for £24.99 incl postage and it was delivered 2 days ago- perfectly timed for the weekend!
Leonard's work resonates
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

cohenadmirer wrote: So i wonder whether the new amazon price will hold for all orders , including those preordered at a higher price .Should do under their rules unless they have already been dispatched !
Anyway , I ordered the blu ray from base.com for £24.99 incl postage and it was delivered 2 days ago- perfectly timed for the weekend!
Yes, it will. The pre-order guarantee always picks up the lowest price between when you order and release date, irrespective of whether the goods have been dispatched or not. I am expecting a credit note for 0.01!

Wendy

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”