Official lyrics of Popular Problems

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
jarkko
Site Admin

Official lyrics of Popular Problems

Post by jarkko »

I have uploaded, with Leonard's permission, all lyrics as they appear in the CD booklet.
You will find them here: http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/popularproblems.html
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Hartmut

Re: Official lyrics of Popular Problems

Post by Hartmut »

Thank you, Jarkko.

It's not a complaint that you hear tonight, ... just a remark: The last quarter of "You Got Me Singing" is missing. - Are these lines absent in the booklet as well?
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I posted the lyrics exactly like they appear in the CD booklet. I noticed that the last part has not been printed; maybe I will add that with a note.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hartmut wrote:The last quarter of "You Got Me Singing" is missing. - Are these lines absent in the booklet as well?
I guess you saw that from my subscribed lyrics Hartmut, but what's missing seems to be the second chorus repeated as the first chorus but with a couple of different lines from those that are in the first chorus.
But now I'm wondering if the last verse in "Samson In New Orleans" was also not printed in the booklet or maybe it was it deliberately left out too?

You said you loved her secrets
Her freedoms hid away
She was better than America
That's what I heard you say

Also, "A Street" has some missing lyrics too, whether that matters or not I don't know.

See all three songs here:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=35397&p=348175#p348112
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

B4real wrote:I guess you saw that from my subscribed lyrics
Well, partly. What was eye-catching even without your transcription was the missing line about the 'hallelujah song'.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Yes Harmut , it was very eye catching!...and I should also say, very ear catching!

btw - yesterday I forgot to mention these lines that were sung and not on the official lyrics from Nevermind.

(they are the first eight lines repeated by LC at the end of the song + female voice in Arabic in the background)

The war was lost
The treaty signed
I was not caught
I crossed the line

I was not caught
Though many tried
I live among you
Well disguised

Personally, I think these words (especially the last two lines) end the song with a very appropriate feeling.

Also the chorus from Born In Chains was repeated at the end of the song and also not listed in the official lyrics:

Word of Words
Measure of all Measures
Blessed is the Name
The Name be blessed
Written on my heart
In burning letters
That's all I know
I cannot read the rest

But once again, maybe these lines were officially left out deliberately. It does seem that in most cases this is happening at the end of a song. I'm remembering now a conversation some years ago here on the forum about official lyrics differing from those actually being sung on the official album. From what I can recall, the lyrics are written first and the song evolves as it will during the recording process but the original lyrics stay as they were. That may or may not be the case here.

EDIT: DRosenrot, I've just fixed up my typo here and in my transcribed lyrics which I had written originally as "crossed" in the first verse and when I added the last verse I omitted to make it the same. It does sound a bit like "across" but it did hear it originally as "crossed" as it is in the official lyrics.

btw - welcome to the forum!
Last edited by B4real on Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Tova

Post by Tova »

The female voice in Arabic is basically chanting the word SALAM=Peace.

A Happy Rosh HaShana (to whom it's relevant :) )
And Peace be upon us all
"Yes and here's to the few
Who forgive what you do
And the fewer who don't even care
"
Night Comes On, 1984
phillip

Post by phillip »

Thankyou Jarkko
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
codiug

Post by codiug »

English is not my native language but in "Did I Ever Love You" I read "The almond trees whither". Shouldn't this be wither? (the opposite of blossom).I think whither means something like where(to). Is this a misprint or am I missing something?
jerry

Post by jerry »

codiug wrote:English is not my native language but in "Did I Ever Love You" I read "The almond trees whither". Shouldn't this be wither? (the opposite of blossom).I think whither means something like where(to). Is this a misprint or am I missing something?
I think you're correct.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
DRosenrot

Post by DRosenrot »

Is it:

The war was lost
The treaty signed
I was not caught
I crossed the line

or

Across the line?

EDIT: Yes, it's I crossed the line. I thought it was...
Last edited by DRosenrot on Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

codiug wrote:English is not my native language but in "Did I Ever Love You" I read "The almond trees whither". Shouldn't this be wither? (the opposite of blossom).I think whither means something like where(to). Is this a misprint or am I missing something?
Nice ambiguity. Ingenious mecanism.

I would sware that I read wither, the first time I read the official lyrics.

But then, whiter, this is even better. It suggests the idea of wither, and in the same time, that provides and image of an almond tree blossoming even more than the lemon tree. Or maybe is it that it is white as bone?

I was raptured in the image of the lemon tree blooming and the almond tree maybe loaded with young fruits, almonds to be soon. Or blanched and dried on the horizon. Now I have also the blooming image in mind.

Both citrus and almond added so much gusto in real life also.

Thanks to have stressed this little letter that provides a supplement of flowers, perfume, and beauty.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Thank you Lizzy to be so helpful and kind in helping a blind person to get out of the wood. 8) Whither I were going?

The lemon trees blossom
The almond trees whither
Was I ever someone
Who could love you forever

Thanks to have stressed this little letter, which provides a supplement of mysticism.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
LucyFolie

Post by LucyFolie »

Thank you, Jarkko.

Very kind of you. I am from Argentina. I was looking for My Oh My lyrics (my favourite of P.P.).
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

We have it now confirmed that in the song DID I EVER LOVE YOU there is a typo in the CD booklet
the line should be:
The almond trees wither (NOT whither)
It will be corrected in the next editions. I already changed it at www.leonardcohenfiles.com/popularproblems.html

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”