Press Release of Popular Problems

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
jarkko
Site Admin

Press Release of Popular Problems

Post by jarkko »

LEONARD COHEN RELEASES ‘POPULAR PROBLEMS’ ON SEPTEMBER 23, 2014,
A DYNAMIC STUDIO ALBUM OF NEW SONGS

(Toronto, ON - August 19, 2014) In Popular Problems, his thrilling new studio album, Leonard Cohen gets down into the avenues of our dreams and sets a new tone and speed of hope and despair, grief and joy. Cohen here is an astonished lover rocking to the human condition as "the soul unfolds in the chambers of its longing." His legendary basso resonates as never before with a presence and urgency that arises from the very depths of the heart. The clarity and strength of these nine hypnotic songs will have us singing them over and over.

In collaboration with co-writer Patrick Leonard, Popular Problems is a masterpiece from the ever-fresh imagination of a musical legend whose songs continue to captivate new listeners and devoted fans.

“Yet again, Leonard Cohen has broken musical boundaries with new creative inspiration,” says Rob Stringer, Chairman/CEO of Columbia Records, “These nine new songs are simply sublime and innovative with a unique spirit. We're absolutely thrilled and honored to celebrate this milestone with him.”

Popular Problems is Cohen's 13th studio album, and will be released on September 23rd, two days after his 80th birthday. Popular Problems is available for pre-order everywhere today. Those who pre-order Popular Problems digitally (http://smarturl.it/PopularProblems) will receive an instant download of his new song, “Almost Like The Blues.” Click here to listen.

To celebrate his milestone 80th birthday (September 21), Cohen’s endless poetic energy and legacy can be revisited with a new artist page on iTunes (http://www.itunes.com/leonardcohen), which features Popular Problems and includes all 12 prior studio albums Mastered For iTunes.

Popular Problems was produced by Patrick Leonard, mastered at Marcussen Mastering and was recorded and mixed by Jesse E. String with additional mixing by Bill Bottrell.

Revisit Leonard Cohen’s Incredible Legacy on http://www.LeonardCohen.com

Popular Problems Tracklisting:
1. Slow
2. Almost Like The Blues
3. Samson In New Orleans
4. A Street
5. Did I Ever Love You
6. My Oh My
7. Nevermind
8. Born In Chains
9. You Got Me Singing

# # #

ABOUT LEONARD COHEN: Leonard Cohen is a master songwriter, musician, poet, novelist and visual artist whose stunning body of original work has touched the lives of millions with a career spanning six decades.

His explorations of spiritual, interpersonal, romantic and political themes have impacted countless contemporary recording artists and writers. He has sold over 23 million albums, worldwide and published 12 books, the most recent of which was 2006's 'Book of Longing', a collection of poetry, prose and drawings, which reached #1 on the Top 10 Hardcover Fiction Books in Canada.

Cohen's influence on musical and theatrical artists the world over is inestimable. In fact, when Cohen was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame in March 2008, the revered Lou Reed singled out Leonard as one of the "highest and most influential echelon of songwriters." Cohen's songbook has been covered by hundreds of recording artists including Jeff Buckley, Bob Dylan, Nina Simone, Johnny Cash, Lou Reed, Tori Amos, Nick Cave, Joan Baez, Harry Belafonte, Rufus Wainwright and the Civil Wars. Tribute albums have been released in Cohen's honor in France, Norway, Canada, Spain, Sweden, The Czech Republic, South Africa and the United States. In 2008 Cohen's "Hallelujah" became the fastest-selling digital single in European history when three separate versions of the song appeared simultaneously on the UK singles chart - Cohen's own original recording, a version from Jeff Buckley and another from X Factor winner Alexandra Burke. Additionally, Leonard's songs have been frequently selected to illustrate the emotion of motion pictures and television programs and have been heard in Watchmen, The Passion of The Christ, Natural Born Killers, The Wonder Boys, Pump Up The Volume, Secretary, The West Wing, The O.C. and many others.

Leonard Cohen has been honored as a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award Recipient (2010), inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame (2008), the Canadian Music Hall Of Fame (2006), the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame (2006) and the Songwriters Hall Of Fame (2010). He has received the prestigious Principe de Asturias Prize – the highest literary award in Spain (Spain, 2011) as well as the Glenn Gould Prize, awarded to an individual for a unique lifetime contribution that has enriched the human condition through the arts (Canada, 2011). The Canadian native has earned his country's highest civilian honors - Officer of the Order of Canada (1991), Companion to the Order of Canada (2003), Grand Officer of the National Order of Quebec (2008).

Cohen's recent return to live performance was met with extraordinary and unanimous accolades as he performed around the world from 2008 through 2013. Cohen's mesmerizing recent performances, deemed "a spiritual experience" by all accounts, totaled 470 shows in 31 countries attended by four million fans.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
BlizzardofIce

Re: Press Release

Post by BlizzardofIce »

Great.
But nine songs was a bit few... :neutral:
Born in Chains is in!
There are many ways a man can serve his time
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

I guess we will have to live with the cover then
Peter
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Sony missed a number of countries when they listed all the tribute albums for the press release above!

These countries were missing:
Poland
Iceland
Croatia
Italy
Germany
Denmark
The Netherlands
Belgium
Switzerland
Australia

Complete listing of all tribute albums at www.leonardcohenfiles.com/covers.html
I know of two more, due in September - one in Denmark and one in Germany. More later!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
icecreamtruck

Post by icecreamtruck »

Sounds great and I can't wait. But why does he have to do this to us with the album covers?
POZEST

Post by POZEST »

I heard almost like the blues this morning.

Catchy bass line beat :)

Can't wait for the album.
alb123

Post by alb123 »

Does anyone know why Sharon Robinson isn't a co-writer of this project? I mean, was there any particular reason that her involvement with this album (if there is any) is considerably limited compared to Leonard's last few releases? Speaking of who is involved, does anyone have a list of names for who is performing on Popular Problems?
Waterbury, CT - May 14, 2009
Las Vegas, NV - Dec 11, 2010 (Final Show of Leonard's 3 year World Tour) INCREDIBLE!
Boston, MA - Dec 15, 2012 (Best L.C. concert I've been to!)
RainDog1980

Post by RainDog1980 »

peter danielsen wrote:I guess we will have to live with the cover then
Peter
What's wrong with the cover? I personally like it.

Jarkko,

Will there be sound clips or previews of the rest of the album released over the coming weeks, or will we be waiting with bated breath??
Donata

Post by Donata »

As you all I'm so much looking forward to LC's new songs, can hardly wait to hear them. The review in the Toronto press is very enthusiastic. But of course the new songs - especially the lyrics - will be sublime. Leonard would never write a mediocre or bad
song being such a wise, experienced man and gifted poet. I love his many metaphors and symbols as well as analysing and "decipher"
them to finally get to all layers of his poems/lyrics.
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

PROMOTION by SONY MUSIC POLAND
special booklet containing Polish translations
SMP 2014
SMP 2014
Already on September 23 will premiere new album of Leonard Cohen - "Popular Problems". With the launch of the Polish fans will be able to buy the first edition disc Empik and empik.com with a special booklet containing Polish translations of all the songs from the album. Mr.Cohen the translation process overseen himself, as evidenced by the special autograph artist placed in the booklet.

:D
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
Matilda3

Post by Matilda3 »

On Face Book everyone was given an opportunity to listen to Leonard's complete CD. The piece provided along with it, written by Ann Powers, was exceptional. Popular Problems may be short compared many of Leonard's other CD's, but the power of his words by far makes up for that. Each time you listen to it you learn more about Leonard and more about yourself. My pre-ordered CD is to arrive in US on Sept 23rd. Can't wait! The power and the passion of his songs is just mind blowing!
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

The Times 2014-09-19 Friday
Popular Problems Times Sept
Popular Problems Times Sept
cover of The Times 19 09 2014
cover of The Times 19 09 2014

sorry for the shadows, made ​​cell
The Times Sept 2014
The Times Sept 2014
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

The Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... rnalSearch
The Independent Sept.2014
The Independent Sept.2014
Daily Mail

[attachment=1]The Independent Sept 2014 m.jpg[
Attachments
Daily Mail Sept.26 2014
Daily Mail Sept.26 2014
lizzytysh

Re: Press Release of Popular Problems

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh! NICE press release from Poland!

Yes, too... the tortoise and the hare seems an adequate analogy from where I sit for Leonard's stunning success at this stage of his life.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
bigjbo

Re: Press Release of Popular Problems

Post by bigjbo »

Facsimile from The Straits Times - Singapore 16 Oct 2014 - Popular Problems
Attachments
Straits Times Article.jpg

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”