Post by MarieM »

Okay, official version of Almost Like The Blues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VYXECtjOos
Marie
Speaking Cohen
rpan

Re: Listen to new Leonard Cohen song

Post by rpan »

You can buy and download the track from amazon.co.uk for a pound - pre-order of album only seems to be mp3 at present.
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Amazon.co.uk was one of those sites which took an early start. I am sure they will show all options (CD, LP, downloads) after the official announcement at 8 am EST today (Tuesday).
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Doris

Post by Doris »

The german amazon-site (amazon.de) offers Almost like the blues as MP3 download at once for EUR 1,29 (and the whole album with release date 19. September).
Wow, the song is so so beautiful.
And all I´ve said
was just instead of
Coming back to you.
amarantia

Post by amarantia »

Musically, the song is great, however, generally do not like this song
Cohen repeated and I do not believe him now. What is true is that his heart is frozen.
This song has no empathy for the world.
It's just cool observation .This is just ingenious rhyming description of what we can all see.
Maybe other songs will touch me. :neutral:
holydove

Post by holydove »

MarieM wrote:Okay, official version of Almost Like The Blues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VYXECtjOos
Thank you for that, Marie. The other links I tried didn't work for me, but this one sure did.

Great song!! Love it. Even more excited now about hearing the whole album!
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

I saw some people starving
There was murder, there was rape
Their villages were burning
They were trying to escape

.......just have to see the tv news
almost like the blues

Relates to my everyday experience looking on at the horrific events going on in the world in 2014.
Watching with tears in the eyes , but then putting in some distance to stop being overwhelmed - not a frozen heart.

Musically very simple - and a vocal style between singing and recitation.

i hope there are no more single song 'spoilers' to tempt us - want to experience the whole album , and know it will take a few listenings before i wholly appreciate it.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

cohenadmirer wrote: i hope there are no more single song 'spoilers' to tempt us - want to experience the whole album , and know it will take a few listenings before i wholly appreciate it.
It is for that reason I am avoiding even listening to this song. It isn't easy, but I learned patience very well since becoming a member of this Forum ;-)
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
yopietro

Post by yopietro »

For those of you are familiar with Dylan, "Almost like the Blues" is reminiscent of "What Was It You Wanted." Especially the breaks after each verse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irKxESOvo-E
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 »

yopietro wrote:For those of you are familiar with Dylan, "Almost like the Blues" is reminiscent of "What Was It You Wanted." Especially the breaks after each verse.

Doesn't come close to What was it you wanted. The production on that track is superb. (Daniel Lanois). This 'teaser' from Leonard is shocking. The poetry and prose is all there (as you would expect from the maestro of such things), but the music and production are woeful. I know such heresy on here will be frowned upon - but it's a bad track. Doesn't tempt me to buy the album at all. Unlike the Old Ideas teasers, where I just couldn't wait.
Robert
To live outside the law you must be honest
jerry

Post by jerry »

Zimmy66 wrote:
yopietro wrote:For those of you are familiar with Dylan, "Almost like the Blues" is reminiscent of "What Was It You Wanted." Especially the breaks after each verse.

Doesn't come close to What was it you wanted. The production on that track is superb. (Daniel Lanois). This 'teaser' from Leonard is shocking. The poetry and prose is all there (as you would expect from the maestro of such things), but the music and production are woeful. I know such heresy on here will be frowned upon - but it's a bad track. Doesn't tempt me to buy the album at all. Unlike the Old Ideas teasers, where I just couldn't wait.
Robert
I agree with you 100%. Instead of sounding like an actual song it just sounds like a poem being read and background music being added later. The vocals sound detached from the music.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Zimmy66 wrote: I know such heresy on here will be frowned upon - but it's a bad track. Doesn't tempt me to buy the album at all. Unlike the Old Ideas teasers, where I just couldn't wait.
Robert
Hope we will be allowed to keep our critical faculties and express what comes out .
on first listening found the 'music' and production got in the way of the rest of the song - if that makes sense .
Would have liked the kind of supreme musicality we are used to from his stage performances, or if the music is so secondary just a straight recitation- but maybe the problem here is trying to judge a whole album on one track!
Last edited by cohenadmirer on Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
yopietro

Post by yopietro »

Zimmy66 wrote:

Robert
I wasn't talking about the production of the songs, which is completely different. I was referring to the structure, and especially with the chord progression of the breaks after the vocals. Anyhow, my intention was not even to compare the two songs. I like them both. "Almost like the Blues" I've listened to a few times now and I'm really digging it.
amarantia

Post by amarantia »

It looks like Cohen, lost his hearing and voice.
I do not like this song.
yopietro

Post by yopietro »

amarantia wrote:It looks like Cohen, lost his hearing and voice.
I do not like this song.
"There’s torture and there’s killing
and there’s all my bad reviews"...

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”