"Popular Problems" - the next LC album

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
canook

Re: "Popular Problems" - the next LC album (late September 2

Post by canook »

I'm going to just come out and say it: Leonard needs to get someone else to design his CD covers. Thankfully, that's usually the only thing that misfires on his records!
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

canook wrote:I'm going to just come out and say it: Leonard needs to get someone else to design his CD covers. Thankfully, that's usually the only thing that misfires on his records!
Yeah, I'm seeing this a lot on Twitter and on Leonard's Facebook page. Let's face it, Leonard could get anyone he wants to design his covers. He knows one of the best photographers around in Dominique Issermann and he has a daughter who has taken some exquisite photos of him. So, he could simply use a photo like he did on Songs From The Road. Instead, we get all this mystery. The ghost of Kezban and her shadow appearing once again. Leonard on the move with his natty cane, his whiskers and death stare. Just as with his songs, we are left to ponder, to wait for that bolt of insight to tell us what it all means. It is so Leonard. A gift all by itself.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
mutti

Post by mutti »

Marie your words say it all so well.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

Am I right in thinking the album's running time is only around 35 mins?
The lion and the calf shall lie down together, but the calf won't get much sleep.
phillip

Post by phillip »

that is correct yes
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
alb123

Post by alb123 »

I wish the new CD were a little longer as well. I mean, he spent so much time crafting a song like "Feels So Good" while on the road, why not put together a studio version? I'd have to imagine that a song they've worked on for years would be a lot quicker to record in a studio compared to something entirely new and unknown to the musicians. I know this isn't going to be a very popular opinion here, but I really do not like "Born in Chains". I don't know what it is. I have very rarely ever said that about a Leonard Cohen song. For some reason that particular song does not touch me the way just about every other song he has performed does.

I remember when Old Ideas came out I listened to that album from start to finish probably four times without a break. My initial feelings were mixed. There were a couple of tracks that I loved from the first time I heard them and others that I downright didn't think were worthy of being on that record! With repeated playing those songs that I didn't care for began to grow on me and within a couple of months I could proudly say that I dislike zero tracks from Old Ideas. I'm sure I will go through some growing pains with Popular Problems. Just because I absolutely love Leonard Cohen doesn't mean that I blindly give a 5-star review to every song he writes. I think too many fans tend to do that.

These are precious times as Leonard will be turning 80 years old next month. You can't help but wonder how much longer can the man continue to work? I know it's selfish of me to want him to write and record up until his last day, but part of me feels that way because I think the world needs more Leonard Cohen in it. The way his words touch the heart and soul -- we need that in this world more than ever right now. If Popular Problems is his swan song, I will consider myself lucky that I was able to add another 35 minutes and 56 seconds worth of Leonard Cohen to my music collection.
Waterbury, CT - May 14, 2009
Las Vegas, NV - Dec 11, 2010 (Final Show of Leonard's 3 year World Tour) INCREDIBLE!
Boston, MA - Dec 15, 2012 (Best L.C. concert I've been to!)
jerry

Post by jerry »

alb123 wrote:I wish the new CD were a little longer as well. I mean, he spent so much time crafting a song like "Feels So Good" while on the road, why not put together a studio version? I'd have to imagine that a song they've worked on for years would be a lot quicker to record in a studio compared to something entirely new and unknown to the musicians. I know this isn't going to be a very popular opinion here, but I really do not like "Born in Chains". I don't know what it is. I have very rarely ever said that about a Leonard Cohen song. For some reason that particular song does not touch me the way just about every other song he has performed does.

I remember when Old Ideas came out I listened to that album from start to finish probably four times without a break. My initial feelings were mixed. There were a couple of tracks that I loved from the first time I heard them and others that I downright didn't think were worthy of being on that record! With repeated playing those songs that I didn't care for began to grow on me and within a couple of months I could proudly say that I dislike zero tracks from Old Ideas. I'm sure I will go through some growing pains with Popular Problems. Just because I absolutely love Leonard Cohen doesn't mean that I blindly give a 5-star review to every song he writes. I think too many fans tend to do that.

These are precious times as Leonard will be turning 80 years old next month. You can't help but wonder how much longer can the man continue to work? I know it's selfish of me to want him to write and record up until his last day, but part of me feels that way because I think the world needs more Leonard Cohen in it. The way his words touch the heart and soul -- we need that in this world more than ever right now. If Popular Problems is his swan song, I will consider myself lucky that I was able to add another 35 minutes and 56 seconds worth of Leonard Cohen to my music collection.
I agree with you. But I guess it's better that we get a 35 minute album every 2 years as opposed to a 50 minute album every 4-6 years or longer.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

Now available from WOW HD for £7.99 on pre-order - also available from Play.com for £9.99 - no prize for guessing which one I ordered from!
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

alb123 wrote:I wish the new CD were a little longer as well. I mean, he spent so much time crafting a song like "Feels So Good" while on the road, why not put together a studio version? I'd have to imagine that a song they've worked on for years would be a lot quicker to record in a studio compared to something entirely new and unknown to the musicians. I know this isn't going to be a very popular opinion here, but I really do not like "Born in Chains". I don't know what it is. I have very rarely ever said that about a Leonard Cohen song. For some reason that particular song does not touch me the way just about every other song he has performed does.
Funny how it goes. I've loved BIC since the first videos came out. There were several of us who tried to get the lyrics down, and from those repeated playings I became almost obsessed with the song. I was greatly disappointed it wasn't on OI, and knew when it wasn't we wouldn't be hearing it in concert either so it was a double whammy. (Not knocking your opinion about it-- just remarking upon the differences among fans.)
I went through much of the same with Ten New Songs, and it ended up as one of my tops all time. For OI, I listened to the first four songs so much I wasn't as enamored with Anyhow, Crazy, and Banjo. I ended up really loving them all, but became more fixated on Lullaby and Different Sides. If I had to rank them, I'd list Banjo last out of the album-- even though I do like it. I still can't believe they chose to promote Banjo on itunes instead of, say, Different Sides, which I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking it had more potential of catching fire than Banjo. Funny thing-- I liked Come Healing from day one, but after hearing it several times in concert with the Webbs with Leonard I went head over heels for it.
Well said, well said. Precious times, indeed.
kaczor47

Post by kaczor47 »

But...but...but why is there no 'Book of Longing'?! No 'Puppets'?!
Halifax 12.05.2008, 13.05.2008; Wellington 20.01.2009; Wellington 31.10.2010
literman

Post by literman »

Such great news, this could be a great album, althougt "almost like the blues" isn't astonishing, quite often the first single of the latest album of any great artist turns out to be the weakest song on the album.
"Born in chains" has to me , when listened live, that "recent songs" feeling that made it wonderfull.
I wonder why such great songs like "priests" and "god is alive magic is afood" are not recorded, hope he did it sometime in the past or that he would do it some time in the futer.
Anyway my greatest wish is another tour, hope to get around christmas news about a long world tour.
jerry

Post by jerry »

I'll have the new cd in my hands on the 18th Sept.
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
alb123

Post by alb123 »

literman wrote: I wonder why such great songs like "priests" and "god is alive magic is afood" are not recorded, hope he did it sometime in the past or that he would do it some time in the futer.

"God is Alive Magic is Afoot" is a great song?? I believe it is a poem and has always remained so. Frankly, I don't believe it would translate into a "song" very well, unlike much of Leonard's poetry. Songs tend to adhere to certain formulas. There are many formulas to choose from, but not all poems can be songs, just like not all songs can be poems.

Here is a link of Leonard reciting "God Is Alive Magic Is Afoot". Maybe you've already heard it, but if you have not I hope you enjoy it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3enVT53yDLM
literman wrote:Anyway my greatest wish is another tour, hope to get around christmas news about a long world tour.
Personally, I don't mind that he isn't planning on touring. The poor guy gave us over 4 years of practically non-stop touring all around the globe. At his age, that is beyond remarkable. We all know why he felt like he had to tour, because of his financial troubles. I'm sure he is in a much, much better position right now financially. If it were up to me, instead of touring I would prefer that he just continue to record music in the studio. Honestly, I should be saying that I wished Leonard would just retire and enjoy his remaining years on this rock. He has provided me with so much joy over the years when I needed joy and he provided me with sadness when I needed sadness. His impact on my life has been incredibly significant, as I'm sure it has been to yours and many others in this forum. It feels so incredibly selfish to want him to continue recording/touring considering his age. I know that he is an artist and this is what artists do. They love it! But hardly any of them continue doing it at the age of 80!! Leonard is so remarkable is so many different ways...
Waterbury, CT - May 14, 2009
Las Vegas, NV - Dec 11, 2010 (Final Show of Leonard's 3 year World Tour) INCREDIBLE!
Boston, MA - Dec 15, 2012 (Best L.C. concert I've been to!)
IMM

Post by IMM »

I wonder if (sic)
god is alive magic is afood
has something to do with the fruiting bodies of a fungus?

Buffy set God is ALive, Magic is a Foot to music once.
More powerful to use a foot than some cathedral relics such as St. John's big toe to pray over and create the magic -- bigger than a John relic -- that foot!
Hmmm - should probably check my references - was it really God Is Alive, Magic Is Afoot? :mrgreen:
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

HelenD wrote:Now available from WOW HD for £7.99 on pre-order - also available from Play.com for £9.99 - no prize for guessing which one I ordered from!
Thanks for that information. Remarkably the price on WOW HD ,as of august 31st am, has now reduced to £6.79 (including postage ) - less than half the price on Amazon UK! :shock:
The mysteries of pricing ! can't help but think that someone has made a mistake- and checked the terms and conditions which said the following!

We reserve the right to alter prices to take into account forces beyond our control (e.g. currency fluctuations).We are unable to supply minors (under the age of 18).We accept no liability (to the fullest extent allowed by law) for the accuracy of information contained on album detail pages or on the website, which may contain technical inaccuracies or typographical errors.If an error is discovered in the price of the item(s) you have ordered, we will inform you and issue a full refund as soon as possible. We shall be under no obligation to fulfil an order for an item which was advertised at an incorrect price, if the item(s) has been charged and not despatched we will cancel and refund your order.

Think I won't order until a week or so before the release to see how the online retail price settles down ! i have though preordered from amazon-canada as a present for a friend in canada which , because of the relative strength of the pound , will be directly delivered to her at a cost to me of £7.80 (or $12.99)That again raises the question of why the current price on amazon uk is so expensive- and the spectre of MUCH more of my money going to amazon than leonard :(
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”