Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Upcoming Leonard Cohen Live DVD

Post by jarkko »

Well, my idea behind "Never Two Without Three" was more complicated, more fan-related.
This will be a magnificent album with some 30 songs from one single concert plus some bonus tracks from another continent (to get most of the Old Ideas songs included!)

***Number of songs edited / Jarkko***
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
byboyne

Post by byboyne »

Great news Jarkko. Opens it right up again in terms of which concert and which continent ! Any idea when we can expect an announcement ?
Dublin 1988, 2008/2009. Amsterdam 2008,Hamburg 2009,Sligo 2010,Dublin 2012, Dublin 2013.
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

It is definitely the second Dublin concert so, as it contained more than 30 songs, and as I stated before, we were told during the break that the show was being recorded. I should have waved at the cameras!
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Any idea when we can expect an announcement ?
***Nope! The order of the new releases is also - again - open. A limited dose of patience will be required.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

jarkko wrote:
Any idea when we can expect an announcement ?
***Nope! The order of the new releases is also - again - open. A limited dose of patience will be required.
Great news, Jarkko!

I just hope that "limited" is (much) less than large or unlimited, and a long way short of endless.

I'm delighted to read of the "extra songs" so that most of "Old Ideas" is covered. I really hope that "Anyhow" is on the list.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

It will be, Alan!
James T

Post by James T »

When you say the order of new releases is open, do you mean there could be a new studio album first? :roll:
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Yes. Recently the live BluRay etc. was to come first, followed by the new studio album, but now it looks like those may also come in reverse order (or not).
We will be among the first to know.
holydove

Post by holydove »

jarkko wrote: This will be a magnificent album with more than 30 songs from one single concert plus some bonus tracks from another continent (to get most of the Old Ideas songs included!)
This is great news, about the concert as well as the bonus tracks - very happy to hear that! Thanks so much for the updates, Jarkko.

I have one little question, though: why just "most", why not all the songs that were performed from Old Ideas, as well as songs like Light As The Breeze & Crazy To Love You, which, if my memory is correct, were only performed in Gent; which gives rise to another question: is it possible the bonus tracks will be from Gent? (I don't necessarily expect answers for these questions. . .)

Thanks again for the wonderful news!!

Editing: yes, CTLY IS from Old Ideas, so that might already be included in the "most", if the tracks are from Gent; but I mean also rarely performed songs, like Light As The Breeze, Joan of Arc, etc. . .well, I guess we can't have everything, but just wondering. . .

Editing again: I just realized, if the concert is from Dublin, Gent is on the same continent, so the bonus tracks wouldn't be from there; but we don't yet know for sure where the concert is from, so. . .ok, no more guessing or questioning, I will now exercise "limited" patience, & quietly wait for the miracles :D
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Leonard wants to give his fans a complete concert experience, that's why we will get one full concert.
They have lots of video material in the archive, so perhaps there will be more releases in the future - including some kind of "Best of" compilation.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Thank you for your response, Jarkko.

How very kind of Leonard to want to give us that. I am very grateful for it, I'm sure it will bring us endless hours of pure joy, & I'm sure it will be absolutely sublime.

Great to hear that the new album might soon be ready for release, too - that is incredibly exciting!!

I want to thank Leonard for his infinite dedication to his work & his boundless generosity in sharing his brilliant priceless gifts with us, which I will cherish forever.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Thanks, Jarkko! That's really cool!

By the way, 2015 is still the date of forthcoming stidio album release, isn't it?..
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

2015 unless it happens to change...
By the way, one small correction to my message about the complete concert:
One song in the original setlist will not be on the live album (it's a song not yet released on any studio album).
byboyne

Post by byboyne »

Another Secret..... ;-) Looking forward to whatever is released and whenever.
Dublin 1988, 2008/2009. Amsterdam 2008,Hamburg 2009,Sligo 2010,Dublin 2012, Dublin 2013.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

jarkko wrote: One song in the original setlist will not be on the live album (it's a song not yet released on any studio album).
I interpret this means that the omitted song will be released on a studio album sometime, and thus (partly) written by Leonard, rather than a cover. Yes, I know he has recorded covers.
In the 2012 to 2013 tour this limits it to "Feels So Good" and "I've Got A Secret".
Songs not composed by Leonard and sung in the past 2 years include "Save The Last Dance For Me", "La Manic" "Choices".
"Whither Thou Goest" has not been on a Cohen studio album, however it was sung frequently in the past and did appear on "Live in London", so I hope that "Save The Last Dance For Me" makes it onto this upcoming concert album.

"Live in London" and "Songs From The Road" included all the 2008 to 2010 songs that Leonard sang from studio albums, with the exception of "A Singer Must Die". Neither disc contained any of the songs performed on that tour that had not been previously been recorded. These include "Feels So Good", "Born In Chains" and "Lullaby". To exclude a Cohen-composed song from a live album before it appears on a studio album is therefore not unusual. "Lullaby" was performed on the 2008 to 2010 tour, and an almost completely re-written version was released on the "Old Ideas" album.

If this is the "Old Ideas Live Album" then the 2008 to 2010 tour will not be featured. It has been well covered by the 2 discs already released.

My guess is that unless "Save The Last Dance For Me" is omitted, then the featured concert(s) from 1 venue will originally have included "Feels So Good" or "I've Got A Secret".

"Feels So Good":
Air Canada Centre, Toronto, ON, Canada on December 4, 2012, 2nd show on 5th. 25 songs were sung on both nights; 8 one night only; with a total of 6 from Old Ideas between the 2 shows.

"I've Got A Secret":
The Hill Winery, Geelong, Australia on December 7, 2013. NO 2nd show.
Entertainment Centre, Townsville, Australia on November 28, 2013. NO 2nd show.
Ziggo Dome, Amsterdam, Netherlands on September 20, 2013. NO 2nd show.
O2 Arena, London, England on September 15, 2013, previous show on June 21. Hair styles and clothing likely to be different so mixing songs from 2 shows so far apart would be obvious. NO!
The O2, Dublin, Ireland on September 12, 2013, previous show on 11th. 28 were sung on both nights; 4 one night only; 4 from Old Ideas.

So if "Save The Last Dance For Me" is not going to be omitted, it boils down to Toronto in December 2012, or Dublin in September 2013.

Just to be different, and going against my Irish heritage, I think Leonard may chose his home country for the main disc, with the bonus tracks from Dublin. Between the 4 nights at the 2 venues there are 8 songs from the "Old Ideas" album.

Of course I am likely to be completely wrong. None the less, I will be first in line to buy my copy when it is released, no matter where it is from.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”