My Leonard Cohen at Edinburgh Festivals, 3 - 27 Aug 2017

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
miriamrune

My Leonard Cohen at Edinburgh Festivals, 3 - 27 Aug 2017

Post by miriamrune »

Hi all, some of you might be familiar with Stewart D'Arrietta's show, My Leonard Cohen, offering less of a tribute and more imaginative twists on Cohen's music. Stewart and his band are heading to Edinburgh in August, then returning to the UK in October for a few shows at Liverpool's Epstein Theatre. This is the media release for the show...

EdFringe Return for Sydney Opera House Sell-Out: D’Arrietta’s Bold Take on Leonard Cohen

Assembly Rooms – Ballroom (Venue 20), Edinburgh │Thursday 3 – Sunday 27 August (Previews Thursday 3 – Friday 4 August) │ 7.45pm (1 hr 20 min)

Tickets are now on sale at EdFringe.com: https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/my-leonard-cohen

Following acclaimed seasons at the Sydney Opera House and Adelaide Fringe Festival, My Leonard Cohen returns to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe by popular demand this August, with a fresh selection of Cohen’s best-loved songs and a strong new line-up. Having played to over 5,000 people at EdFringe 2016, D’Arrietta and his six-piece band seek to seduce new audiences and delight old friends with this stirringly personal celebration of the late, legendary Cohen, offering distinctive arrangements of his most iconic music.

Arresting and imaginative interpretations of Cohen’s powerful works are performed by world-class musicians, delivered with D’Arrietta’s raw vocal style. Poetic anecdotes, punctuated with D’Arrietta’s trademark laconic humour, offer a narrative frame by which the audience can contemplate the life of one of the world’s most enigmatic songwriters. This is Cohen’s music as you’ve never heard it before.

The classic Tower of Song, sensual I’m Your Man, and anthemic Hallelujah are just a few of the 15 Cohen favourites given the D’Arrietta treatment. New songs for 2017 include the heartrending In My Secret Life, kaleidoscopic Closing Time and menacing The Future.

Over the last two decades, Stewart D’Arrietta has enjoyed rave reviews and performed internationally, including at Montreal Jazz Festival, The Riverside Theatre London, EX Theatre Toyko and The Soho Playhouse New York. Credits include Lennon: Through a Glass Onion, Belly of a Drunken Piano (a Tom Waits homage), Feeling Randy (Randy Newman), Satango and Tuxedo and the Little Black Dress.

“In D’Arrietta’s hands, these are proper rock songs” Broadway Baby ****

“surpasses mere imitation” The Adelaide Advertiser *****

“this is one not to be missed” Daily Business *****

“certainly worth your time … particularly for the opportunity to experience the remarkable Stewart D’Arrietta in live performance.” Australian Arts Review

“A dynamic singer with a gravelly voice - imagine Tom Waits with overtones of Joe Cocker - and a wicked line in jokes and stories, D’Arrietta is the full package both as musician and entertainer.” The Daily Telegraph (Australia)

Tickets are now on sale at EdFringe.com: https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/my-leonard-cohen

Show Trailer: https://goo.gl/bbycW4

STEWART D’ARRIETTA is a prolific composer and highly regarded musical director, performer and producer. Lennon: Through a Glass Onion, a show Stewart co-wrote with Australian actor and musician John Waters, has enjoyed success worldwide, most recently with a 25-year anniversary celebration of the show at the Sydney Opera House in early 2017 and touring the UK, Ireland, US and Canada in Autumn 2016.

In 2007, Stewart was musical director for The Beatles’ White Album Concert, performing at the Sydney Opera House with 15 other high profile artists. Other musical director/performer/composer credits include Café Brel, Reunion, Tuxedo and the Little Black Dress and Satango. Stewart has composed for numerous features, short-form drama and documentaries including Emmy Award-winning Documentary Faces in the Mob.

Web: assemblyfestival.com
FB: facebook.com/myleonardcohen Twitter: @MyLeonardCohen

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”