Sincerely, L. Cohen - Brooklyn, New York

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
KenKurzweil

Sincerely, L. Cohen - Brooklyn, New York

Post by KenKurzweil »

Last night, Suzanne and I went to the concert at the Williamsburg Music Hall “Sincerely, L. Cohen”. It was wonderful. Headlined by Richard Thompson, his son Teddy Thompson and Josh Ritter. Lots of other lesser known artists almost all who were great also performed. The sold out concert was over three hours long. Lots of music, readings from his novels, poetry... It was encouraging to see that about half of the audience were young people (less than half my age), most of whom seemed very familiar with Leonard’s songs. There was a very enthusiastic audience with lots of singing.

“Join us on January 24th to pay tribute to one of music's greatest songwriters and wordsmiths, the late Leonard Cohen. The night will feature a variety of artists influenced by Cohen's work, including Josh Ritter, Richard Thompson, Lee Ranaldo (Sonic Youth), Amy Helm, Will Sheff (Okkervil River), Lenny Kaye (Patti Smith Group), Teddy Thompson, Lucy Wainwright Roche, Joan As A Police Woman, Holly Miranda, Jared Samuels (of Invisible Familiars) Ian O'Neil (Deer Tick), Dave Harrington, Osei Essed (The Woes), Cassandra Jenkins and more special guests to be announced. Pulling from his vast repertoire of songs that span over six decades, this incredible lineup will interpret Cohen's unique and compelling compositions for what will be a empowering evening of performance. Music direction will come from producers Josh Kaufman (Bob Weir, The National) and Jesse Lauter (Bob Dylan in the 80s).”

Here is a link to a video I took of the finale where every performer came out to sing.

https://goo.gl/ksk2SW
Hartmut

Re: Sincerely, L. Cohen - Brooklyn, New York

Post by Hartmut »

Thank you for the report and the video!
Nickabilly

Re: Sincerely, L. Cohen - Brooklyn, New York

Post by Nickabilly »

My daughter and I travelled from the UK to go to this gig. Really enjoyed it. For me, Teddy Thompson stole the show - Ballad of the Absent Mare had me spellbound. Josh Ritter and others were good too. Nice atmosphere and the beer as cheap as any we found in NY - well, we were staying in midtown!! Disappointment - well that's putting it too strong as it was such a warm occasion on a cold wet night, but there was a marked absence of some of Leonard's more recent material. Great night, and a few teary moments, but I said a proper farewell to the man, along with Bob and Lou that has been with me through life.

http://observer.com/2017/01/leonard-coh ... eview-nyc/

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”