My Leonard Cohen - Australia

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
marcmancini

My Leonard Cohen - Australia

Post by marcmancini »

Australian Leonard Cohen fans, there's a great tribute performance headed this way in May from Stewart D'Arrietta who is a very reputable performer and has had rave reviews of his performance previously.

‘My Leonard Cohen’ is receiving praise from critics and fans alike and is a glowing tribute to Leonard.

Stewart D’Arrietta’s musical interpretations are gutsy and arresting, and his stories add an intimate insight into Cohen’s life and motivations.

The soundtrack to the lives of generations, this selection of Leonard Cohen’s music transports you to the timeless notions of love and loss, sex and heartache, all wrapped up in a powerful and sensual musical show.

The 15 songs performed include the heartrending Suzanne, the iconic Tower of Song, the desperately seductive I’m Your Man, the rousing Hallelujah - and many more.

A six-piece band of Australia’s most respected musicians, led by D’Arrietta with Don Miller-Robinson (electric and acoustic guitar), Michael Kluger (piano accordion and keyboards) Tony Mitchell (Bass) Hugh Benjamin (Drums) and Sunny Amoreena on backing vocals.

“...he is the embodiment of a Cohen song: sexy, funny, sad, human” – Theatre Press

“A Show for both newcomers as well as golden Leonard lovers, and is both intimate as well as big entertainment” – Beat Magazine

“A glowing tribute to this legendary artist” – Pop Culture

“He’s charismatic, gob-smackingly good and dare I say it, even sexy” – Stage Whispers

Here's the dates if you're interested:

FRIDAY MAY 6 & SATURDAY MAY 7 2016
MEMO MUSIC HALL, ST KILDA, VIC
Tickets: (03) 9534 3556 / www.memomusichall.com.au

FRIDAY MAY 13 & SATURDAY MAY 14 2016
GIANT DWARF, REDFERN, NSW
Tickets: www.giantdwarf.com.au

FRIDAY MAY 20 & SATURDAY MAY 21 2016
JUDITH WRIGHT CENTRE, BRISBANE, QLD
Tickets: (07) 3872 9000 / www.judithwrightcentre.com

SUNDAY MAY 22 2016
THE EVENT CENTRE, CALOUNDRA, QLD
Tickets: (07) 5491 4240 / www.theeventscentre.com.au
Andrew (Darby)

Re: My Leonard Cohen - Australia

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Thanks marcmancini... and I would also urge any local fans to catch this worthwhile show, which I saw in its first iteration in Melbourne three years ago, as per my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34073

Cheers,
Andrew :D
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Stewart D'Arrietta is bringing his show "My Leonard Cohen" to the Adelaide Fringe this year.
He and his band will be performing at The German Club, 223 Flinders Street, February 28 and March 01 to 05 and 08 to 12.

Also in the Fringe programme is Mikelangelo Sings Cave - Waits - Cohen February 24 to 26 at La Boheme, 36 Grote Street.

FringeTIX from adelaidefringe.com.au

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I saw this show at the Edinburgh Fringe last year. It was not for me. I was very moved by the Lennon Through a Glass Onion show that Stewart is also a part of, so much so that I went back to see Lennon again. However, I found the LC show very "in your face", with no sensitivity or subtlety of interpretation. There are much better cover versions around IMO. I was also irritated by several factual errors in the narrative between songs.

Anyway, judge for yourself....

Wendy
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Mabeanie1 wrote:... I was also irritated by several factual errors in the narrative between songs.
I echo your irritation re that, Wendy, but enjoyed the show nevertheless, even though I would say I've preferred other performers doing Leonard's songs in similar shows. :neutral:

Cheers,
Andrew :)
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Also in the Fringe programme is Mikelangelo Sings Cave - Waits - Cohen February 24 to 26 at La Boheme, 36 Grote Street.
A group of us went to Mikelangelo yesterday evening and all enjoyed the show. In an intimate venue he had an 18 song setlist, opening and closing with Leonard.
I'm Your Man
Tower Of Song
Suzanne
Bird On The Wire
Hallelujah
Famous Blue Raincoat
Dance Me To The End Of Love

As well as having an excellent voice, not quite as low as Leonard's however, he is also an accomplished musician. Most songs were accompanied by his acoustic guitar (with pick-up, don't know the technical name), he also played the accordion and piano for various songs.
It was interesting to hear Tower with guitar instead of keyboard, also he whistled the bridge instead of singing "I see you standing ...", that's whistling with his lips, not his hand as Leonard did.
Suzanne and FBR were performed sitting (almost unplugged) - just right for our small venue.
Accordion accompaniment to Dance with audience participation in the chorus seemed totally appropriate.

The Waits and Cave songs were also performed well, but I do not feel qualified to comment further on them.

His "patter" was not excessive and he had a good rapport with the audience. He told us that he had put together a bigger LC tribute concert with other artists and may tour the show. I'll certainly be looking out for that one.

Well worth going if you get the chance.

Alan
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Alan, thanks for your glowing report - glad you enjoyed his show. 8)

Cheers,
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi, you two ;-)

Nice to see you both had a good time, Alan and Andrew :)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Stewart D'Arrietta's show My Leonard Cohen got a 5 star review in this morning's Adelaide newspaper.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertain ... 7fad2a6441
Adelaide Fringe review 2017: My Leonard Cohen
Patrick McDonald, The Advertiser
March 2, 2017 12:14pm

My Leonard Cohen

Music *****

The GC — Showroom One, until March 12

MASTER of musical tribute shows Stewart D’Arrietta returns to put his superbly original spin on the catalogue of yet another artist, this time literally wearing his Leonard Cohen hat — and suit.

Perhaps best-known for his oft-revived John Lennon show with actor John Waters, Looking Through A Glass Onion, D’Arrietta has also paid homage to Jacques Brel and created two shows built around the work of Tom Waits, with more than a touch of that singer’s gravelly intonation finding its way into this show as well.

Through succinct anecdotes and personal observations, D’Arrietta manages to paint thoroughly engaging portraits of his subjects, without resorting to lengthy biographical detail or chronological order. He welcomes us into the “Church of Leonard’’ with all its inherent explorations of God, life after death, and the soul.

Most importantly, he and his extraordinary band bring Cohen’s songs to life in a way that surpasses mere imitation, altering arrangements and infusing them with a new energy that drives the emotional narrative of the show.

A dash of accordion and thunderous piano chords lead into a rollicking rendition of Everybody Knows, with the volume perfectly set for the size of the room.

D’Arrietta adds a more medieval flavour to the sparse ballad beauty of Famous Blue Raincoat, a rolling wave of keys underpinning the Tower of Song and acoustic flourishes on Suzanne, while Dance Me to the End of Love becomes a dark, tempestuous combination of waltz, sea shanty and broken carousel music.

So Long, Marianne turns into a German beer hall singalong, there’s some frantic polka on Closing Time, fiery fury for an apocalyptic The Future, tasty tango on First We Take Manhattan and an unexpected level of rock-fuelled angst on Hallelujah.

Patrick McDonald
My booking is for Thursday 9th.

Alan
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Just home after seeing Stewart D'Arrietta's "My Leonard Cohen".
with the volume perfectly set for the size of the room
Regarding the review above, I would disagree with this line. He needed Leonard's sound engineers.
The band's musicianship was very good, with stand-outs being the guitarist and Stewart himself on the keyboards.
Most of our group felt that his voice did not really suit the lyrics and often the instruments drowned out the voice(s).
All of us preferred Mikelangelo's voice from the previous show and felt that Meatloaf and Joe Cocker were being channeled too often. The lady singer has a fabulous voice, but we hardly heard her.
Many of the arrangements were more rock and roll than I was happy with, but I knew I wasn't going to a LC impersonation.
Setlist: Walk on to Dance Me To The End Of Love, led by the piano accordionist (a psychiatrist by day!)
Everybody Knows
Famous Blue Raincoat
Tower Of Song
Bird On The Wire
(Similar intonations to the Willie Nelson version)
Suzanne
Dance Me To The End Of Love
(full)
Chelsea Hotel #2
So Long, Marianne
Closing Time
(very fast)
A Thousand Kisses Deep - this was really nice with the recited version leading into a very tender version of the song
The Future
I'm Your Man
First We Take Manhattan (tango)
Sisters Of Mercy - arrangement similar to The Chieftains (& Sting) on Tower Of Song album. The Chieftains were acknowledged, but not Sting. Stewart played a keytar, a keyboard slung around his neck and during the song he played a "dueling banjos" type duet with the accordion player - interesting.
Hallelujah

During the patter, I didn't pick up many factual errors, certainly none of significance.
He changed the lyrics a little here and there, but then, so did Leonard, so not a big deal.

Overall of the 2 shows, all of the group I was with preferred Mikelangelo, so I will keep my eyes open for the longer LC tribute show mentioned in my previous report.

Summary - Leonard wrote many fantastic songs and if you want to hear them as rock and roll, without the need to hear all the lyrics, go to this show. I've seen it once, that's enough for me.

Alan
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Alan, thanks for your comprehensive report and considered analysis. 8)

I agree about Mikelangelo being the performer to preference. ;-)

Cheers,
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

Through the songs of Leonard Cohen, Australian artists Chris Fatouros and Spiros Falieros will recreate the period across two more nights at the inaugural MPavilion, Hellenic Museum courtyard. A bar and the Psistaria will be open, serving Greek food and drinks throughout the night.
Performance dates:
Saturday 11 March – 6.30pm gates open for an 8.00pm start:
Sunday 12 March – 6.30pm gates open for a 8.00pm start:
http://www.hellenic.org.au/hydra-songs- ... of-bohemia

Wybe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Wybe, thanks for the reminder and I have also posted it in the dedicated thread below:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36330&p=357026&hili ... os#p357026

Cheers,
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”