My Leonard Cohen - Australia

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
marcmancini

My Leonard Cohen - Australia

Postby marcmancini » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:51 am

Australian Leonard Cohen fans, there's a great tribute performance headed this way in May from Stewart D'Arrietta who is a very reputable performer and has had rave reviews of his performance previously.

‘My Leonard Cohen’ is receiving praise from critics and fans alike and is a glowing tribute to Leonard.

Stewart D’Arrietta’s musical interpretations are gutsy and arresting, and his stories add an intimate insight into Cohen’s life and motivations.

The soundtrack to the lives of generations, this selection of Leonard Cohen’s music transports you to the timeless notions of love and loss, sex and heartache, all wrapped up in a powerful and sensual musical show.

The 15 songs performed include the heartrending Suzanne, the iconic Tower of Song, the desperately seductive I’m Your Man, the rousing Hallelujah - and many more.

A six-piece band of Australia’s most respected musicians, led by D’Arrietta with Don Miller-Robinson (electric and acoustic guitar), Michael Kluger (piano accordion and keyboards) Tony Mitchell (Bass) Hugh Benjamin (Drums) and Sunny Amoreena on backing vocals.

“...he is the embodiment of a Cohen song: sexy, funny, sad, human” – Theatre Press

“A Show for both newcomers as well as golden Leonard lovers, and is both intimate as well as big entertainment” – Beat Magazine

“A glowing tribute to this legendary artist” – Pop Culture

“He’s charismatic, gob-smackingly good and dare I say it, even sexy” – Stage Whispers

Here's the dates if you're interested:

FRIDAY MAY 6 & SATURDAY MAY 7 2016
MEMO MUSIC HALL, ST KILDA, VIC
Tickets: (03) 9534 3556 / www.memomusichall.com.au

FRIDAY MAY 13 & SATURDAY MAY 14 2016
GIANT DWARF, REDFERN, NSW
Tickets: www.giantdwarf.com.au

FRIDAY MAY 20 & SATURDAY MAY 21 2016
JUDITH WRIGHT CENTRE, BRISBANE, QLD
Tickets: (07) 3872 9000 / www.judithwrightcentre.com

SUNDAY MAY 22 2016
THE EVENT CENTRE, CALOUNDRA, QLD
Tickets: (07) 5491 4240 / www.theeventscentre.com.au
Andrew (Darby)

Re: My Leonard Cohen - Australia

Postby Andrew (Darby) » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:39 pm

Thanks marcmancini... and I would also urge any local fans to catch this worthwhile show, which I saw in its first iteration in Melbourne three years ago, as per my post here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34073

Cheers,
Andrew :D
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
AlanM

Postby AlanM » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:18 am

Stewart D'Arrietta is bringing his show "My Leonard Cohen" to the Adelaide Fringe this year.
He and his band will be performing at The German Club, 223 Flinders Street, February 28 and March 01 to 05 and 08 to 12.

Also in the Fringe programme is Mikelangelo Sings Cave - Waits - Cohen February 24 to 26 at La Boheme, 36 Grote Street.

FringeTIX from adelaidefringe.com.au

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:12 pm

I saw this show at the Edinburgh Fringe last year. It was not for me. I was very moved by the Lennon Through a Glass Onion show that Stewart is also a part of, so much so that I went back to see Lennon again. However, I found the LC show very "in your face", with no sensitivity or subtlety of interpretation. There are much better cover versions around IMO. I was also irritated by several factual errors in the narrative between songs.

Anyway, judge for yourself....

Wendy
Andrew (Darby)

Postby Andrew (Darby) » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:21 pm

Mabeanie1 wrote:... I was also irritated by several factual errors in the narrative between songs.

I echo your irritation re that, Wendy, but enjoyed the show nevertheless, even though I would say I've preferred other performers doing Leonard's songs in similar shows. :neutral:

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons

I only sing the tunes

The sadness of the seasons

The madness of the moons'

~ Mervyn Peake ~

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”