CONCERT REPORT: Christchurch, New Zealand, December 14, 2013

The last leg of the Old Ideas tour in November and December 2013
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Christchurch, New Zealand, December 14,

Post by sturgess66 »

zwirnie - I noticed that the other day - what you are saying about Setlist fm. I think it was 3 of Leonard's songs attributed to others who had recorded them (a live link that takes you to a recording of that song but the other artist). Ridiculous. I guess someone has set certain songs to "default" that way. It looks like you have now been able fix it - but not without - as you say there - having to go in manually and make edits!
MasterThief wrote:Leonard Cohen
Saturday 14 December 2014
CBS Canterbury Arena, Christchurch, New Zealand

First Set
1. Dance Me to the End of Love
2. The Future
3. Bird on the Wire
4. Everybody Knows
5. Who by Fire
6. Darkness
7. Amen
8. Come Healing
9. Lover Lover Lover
10. Anthem

Second Set
11. Tower of Song
12. Suzanne
13. Chelsea Hotel #2
14. The Partisan
15. Alexandra Leaving (performed by Sharon Robinson)
16. I'm Your Man
17. A Thousand Kisses Deep (recitation)
18. Hallelujah
19. Take This Waltz

Encore:
20. So Long, Marianne
21. Going Home
22. First We Take Manhattan

Encore 2:
23. Famous Blue Raincoat
24. If It Be Your Will (performed by the Webb Sisters)
25. Closing Time

Encore 3:
26. I Tried to Leave You
27. Save the Last Dance for Me (The Drifters cover)
Georgetheb

Post by Georgetheb »

It was a spectacular concert ... I would have been happy with an exact repeat of the 2010 show because I didn't think you could improve on perfection. Turns out I was wrong. :D
http://bygeorge.co.nz/2013/12/cohen-201 ... ut-better/

(excuse the not-so-great photos, I was using my phone and without the flash)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/li ... -spiritual

[There are 6 good photographs at the link]
Cohen Performance 'almost spiritual'

STU PIDDINGTON
Last updated 05:00 19/12/2013

John Kirk-Anderson - 6 photos at the link

REVIEW: It is hard to explain but my wife fell in love with a 79-year-old musician on Saturday night in Christchurch.

The man with the magnetism and voice to match was Leonard Cohen. Another friend was sure Cohen was only singing to her in the packed Canterbury Arena.

That was the effect of Cohen, his songs and charisma that kept everyone entranced.

Cohen was on stage for almost three hours, with three encores and four standing ovations.

Hailing from Montreal, Cohen turned to music after being frustrated with his life as a poet and novelist. For those that don't know him, think 'Hallelujah', a haunting song taken to number 1 by others including Jeff Buckley.

The almost-octogenarian did not let anyone down, he often delivered songs on his knees, full of emotion.

He skipped on and off stage, tipping his trademark Fedora to the audience closest to him.

Everyone had their favourites on the night from Chelsea Hotel No2, First We Take Manhattan, Bird on a Wire, Suzanne and 1000 Kisses Deep.

His extraordinary backing musicians from across the globe, all got their moment to shine as did Cohen's song writing collaborator, Sharon Robinson, and Webb sisters, Charley and Hattie.

They also lifted Cohen's sometimes haunting lyrics to another level.

Those who missed the concert missed something special. His performance was both mesmerising and magical and to some an almost spiritual experience.

That could in part be because these days he is a Buddhist monk, who also kept his faith in the Jewish religion.

Lou Reed, who died in October, described him as part of the "highest and most influential echelon of songwriters". No-one disagreed.

Christchurch was the start of the third leg of a world tour that began in August 2012.

After the release of Old Ideas, which was only his 12th studio album in 46 years but his highest-charting, Cohen has toured both Europe and North America twice, before heading Down Under.

He plays Auckland's Vector Arena on Saturday.
ClarkyNZ

Post by ClarkyNZ »

Incredible night. Photos from the front row....
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
7.jpg
ClarkyNZ

Post by ClarkyNZ »

:)
Attachments
9.jpg
4.jpg

Return to “TOUR 2013 IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND”