CONCERT REPORT: Sydney, Australia - December 2, 2013

The last leg of the Old Ideas tour in November and December 2013
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Sydney, Australia - December 2, 2013

Post by sturgess66 »

The venue is the Sydney Opera House, a multi-purpose performing arts centre in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Situated on Bennelong Point, it is surrounded on three sides by the Sydney Harbour. A “magnificent masterpiece,” conceived and built by Danish architect Jørn Utzon - the venue opened in 1973 and just last month celebrated its fortieth anniversary. The concrete roof structure has the appearance of a group of white shells - the “shells” are frequently illuminated with lighting reflective of the event.
Seating capacity for the Concert Hall is 2,679.

Leonard Cohen was recently in Sydney, on November 16th at the Sydney Entertainment Centre. This show, originally scheduled for November 17th, was rescheduled to December 2, with a change in venue, to the Sydney Opera House.

http://prime7.eventfinder.com.au/2013/l ... medium=rss
Leonard Cohen

When: Mon 2 Dec, 7:00pm
Where: Sydney Opera House, 1 Macquarie St, Circular Quay
Restrictions: All Ages

An artist who requires no introduction, Cohen is arguably the greatest singer songwriter of modern times. His foundations as a poet can be seen throughout his colourful and emotive songwriting, Cohen has created an anthology of songs that indulge the senses and stay with you long after the music finishes.

Uniquely for such an iconic musician, Cohen’s literary praise rivals that received for his music. In 2011, he was awarded the prestigious Prince of Asturias Award for Literature, which sits alongside his inductions into both America and Canada’s Music Hall Of Fame and the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame.

At his induction into the American Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, he was recognised by Lou Reed as “without question one of the most important and influential songwriters of our time, a figure whose body of work achieves greater mystery and depth as time goes on”.

Casting an eye across Cohen’s musical offerings across his decades as a performer, there is no doubt of Reed’s claim. Albums like Songs Of Leonard Cohen (1967), Songs Of Love And Hate (1970) and I’m Your Man (1990), right up to 1992’s The Future, 2001’s Ten New Songs, 2004’s Dear Heather and last years Old Ideas are rightly considered classics.

Revered not only by critics and audiences but also by fellow musicians, Cohen’s songs have been famously covered by a variety of artists, each version a fascinating insight on Cohen’s impact and lasting influence on the music industry.

From Judy Collins’ ‘Suzanne’ to Jeff Buckley’s seminal rendition of ‘Hallelujah’, Cohen’s songs have travelled as far and wide as their author. U2, REM, Sting, Nick Cave, Rufus Wainwright and the late Johnny Cash are among the other famous devotees. It is estimated that his songbook has been covered over 1,330 times by other recording artists.

With a career spanning six decades and sell out shows around the world, the hunger to see this highly influential writer, poet and troubadour remains undiminished.

Since returning to the stage in 2008 after a 15-year hiatus, Cohen has lost nothing in his years off the road and his shows have quickly been recognised as musical history. Recent performances across the United Kingdom confirm that some things get better with age, like fine wine, cheese and Leonard Cohen:

"This was a prayer meeting, not only for the crowd... Such is the reverence, so eager are people not to miss a beat, that they don't even sing along. Every song – all the hits, plus a handful from last year's Old Ideas – beams out pure, with a slight sibilant echo from the O2's walls" – The Guardian

"His three-hour sets are the Sistine Chapel ceiling of live performance: their exquisite beauty renders you silent, sometimes tearful but always grateful to have been able to experience such radiance and majesty." – The Telegraph

Don’t miss the magnetic and inimitable Leonard Cohen as he returns to Australia and New Zealand with his emotive, poignant and legendary concerts. Tickets on sale from 10am local time, Monday 12 August.
dce

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Sydney, Australia - December 2, 2013

Post by dce »

Just back from a great night at the Sydney Opera House (and a catch up with AlanM). Doubtless both he and I will post proper reviews -- or in Alan's case videos -- later on.

But for now -- wow. Another amazing show, and a very warm reception by the Sydney audience ... So much so that even despite the Opera House staff opening up the house doors after Closing Time, Leonard was enticed back for another encore (I Tried To Leave You / Save The Last Dance).

The other memorable moment was a much lengthier than usual monologue in the middle of Tower of Song wherein the UHTC's collective wisdom about the various ages of male attractiveness were explained. Not sure if this has featured in previous shows, but it was very amusing -- hopefully at least part of this little stand up routine was captured by Alan's keen video skills.

Sleep now, more later..

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
LC&LC

Post by LC&LC »

Just back too from an amazing concert!
The best one I have attended in Australia...
Unfortunately my pictures are on my camera and I will only be able to post them when I'm back home
LC was in a very good mood, the band was as usual breath-taking...
I hope someone has recorded Tower of song and that it will surface soon on youtube...
2009: Paris, Nimes, Barcelona, 2010: Caen, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Las Vegas, 2012: Ghent x2, London, Verona, Paris x3, Barcelona, Madrid, NYC, Brooklyn, 2013: NYCx2, Paris, London, Brussels, Rome, Lucca, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Pula, Manchester, London, Amsterdam, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney Opera House
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

It's good to hear from you Dean. I was wondering if you would manage to get to any of the shows this time round.

Re the Tower of Song monologue: I don't believe it has been included in previous shows, certainly not in any of the ones I've been to, but I have my fingers crossed that he will repeat it at one of the New Zealand shows. It sounds like a real gem!

And yes, LC&LC, I hope that a video will surface on YouTube. I would like to hear this one!

Wendy
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From STATIGRAM yesterday -
f1shf1ghter - Having a drink with Leonard Cohen (right) at the Sheraton lounge.

TWITTER:
@CraigGilliver - I like this Leonard Cohen crowd @SydOperaHouse - so good to be in the lower half of the age demographic...
@witmol - Appreciate that @sydOperaHouse picked up Leonard Cohen's 2nd show. Ent Cent is soulless. Still, would like to see him at the State Theatre.
@witmol - Let's Leonard again! (Yes I did just use Leonard Cohen as a verb)
@carolduncan - Waiting by the harbour for Leonard Cohen. pic.twitter.com/ICny3v7Z8j https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bad35eVCQAAMG6O.jpg
@melanie_james Jealous!!! Leonard Cohen on that fab habour view in that beautiful light – enjoy
@Hippopeteamus - M'Lady is in Sydders seeing Leonard Cohen for the second time in as many weeks! I may forgive the old smoothie. I like the cut of his jib.
@RobertaMuir - Just a tad excited about seeing the AMAZING Leonard Cohen tonight!!! *squeeeeeeeel*
@roscoe_beck - Leonard Cohen at the Sydney Opera House tonight! pic.twitter.com/3hGPuccNtm Image
@SpectatorOz - Perhaps the Productivity Commission felt suitably inspired by Leonard Cohen’s phenomenal stamina during his current tour – editorial
@BernardZuel - Leonard Cohen made the arenas feel intimate but seeing him in a 2400-seater, even in a post-ARIAs fog, is sublime.
@bsveen - Leonard Cohen's baritone is in glorious form at the Sydney Opera House tonight.
@ panandthedream - Mr LEONARD COHEN at the Sydney Opera House - that moment before he comes on stage and then the standing ovation. #RESPECT
http://distilleryimage6.ak.instagram.co ... be7b_8.jpg
@MichaelFarrellE - Great night at Sydney Opera House where #Leonard Cohen schmoozed us for 3 hours pic.twitter.com/lbLWfpFLPB Image
@RobertaMuir - Leonard Cohen is mesmerizing
@carolduncan - Leonard Cohen nstagram.com/p/ha8sbFH5-C/ Image
@AbrownAL - 3 1/2 hours of Leonard Cohen! Extraordinary!!
@adam_lewis - Leonard Cohen, my most treasured poet, for the ninth and possibly final time. I've been fortunate. http://instagram.com/p/ha4tppowDk/ Image
STATIGRAM –

Deborah Gillespie – Leonard Cohen

Jessica - tonight is now full of memories i will cherish for all the days of my life ️
Julie Mail - Leonardboy did it again!

Short video clips –

Dance Me To The End Of Love - http://statigr.am/p/601880643881705713_187984135 (from Sewdaskrl)
Suzanne - http://statigr.am/p/602049751718585318_351069887 (from Hon Ray)
Last edited by sturgess66 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

LC&LC wrote:Sydney Opera House, December 2nd

Dance me to the end of love
The future
Bird on a wire
Everybody knows
Who by fire
The darkness
Amen
Come healing
Lover lover lover
Anthem

Tower of songs
Suzanne
Chelsea hotel
Le partisan
Alessandra leaving (Sharon Robinson)
I'm your man
1000 kisses deep (recitation)
Hallelujah
Take this waltz

So long Marianne
Going home
First we take Manhattan

Famous blue raincoat
If it be your will (The Webb sisters)
Closing time

Tried to leave you
Save the last dance for me
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Great picture from The Webb Sisters' Facebook
(See more -- here -------------> https://www.facebook.com/thewebbsisters )

the gang at The Sydney Opera House tonight
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Tuesday morning and the sun is shining in Sydney. I can't remember when I have previously been here for 2 consecutive days without rain!
Set list as posted by LC&LC - have a safe and uneventful flight home, Christelle, it was great to meet you.
Timing: Set 1 ~ 8:11pm to 9:20pm; Set 2 ~ 9:44pm to 10:39pm; Encores finished 11:25pm, so great value.
Set 1 I got my usual Sydney "warn off" by an usher. At interval I went back (!) to Dean & Cathy for a chat and took a photo of the empty stage. Believe it or not I got warned off again! Obviously I took the opportunity to discuss why at that time. The very nice lady said my camera is too good and only "small format" cameras are allowed. I then showed her it is not an SLR, no detachable lens, and therefore not banned by the Opera House rules as listed on their web site. Happily she saw my point of view and promised she would not prevent me doing more photography in the remainder of the show. So, diplomacy reigned.
Intro between Dance Me and The Future was a bit longer and included some local references - video to be checked at home tonight.
There was a little feedback at one stage that Leonard appeared not to notice, during Come Healing if I remember correctly - unusual, but not unique. There was a brief squeal in Melbourne at one stage, but LC drew back from the stage monitor and that was the end of it.
Anthem lead in was just a recitation of Ring the bells, with the band introductions containing no surprises.
Set 2 Chat prior to Tower of Song held no great surprises so I stopped recording, but when he started the story of the "Ages of Man" I started again, but I missed the beginning. I think I got 3/4 of it.
Encores - Lots of energy from the band and audience with a little on stage by-play that I had not previously been aware of. In changing between electric and upright bass, Roscoe's tech put his hat on top of the bass and for a while there was no response from Roscoe. I think he did not notice initially but then turned towards the wings and removed the hat. Yes, I have photos, but no video of that.
Going Home included the "cojones" reference, but I was just "in the zone" immersed in the moment and didn't record it. I'll try to remember to video it in Adelaide next week.

Last night I decided to do more still shots than videos as I had done quite well in my 2 previous concerts with the videos. I think most turned out OK, but I'll need to get home to see them full size before deciding what to post.
Other than the brief glitch mentioned above the sound was excellent, much better than the Sydney Entertainment Centre, and also a cosier atmosphere being a smaller venue.

Rating 9.9/10

That's all I can think of now. It was great to see Dean and Cathy again, and I'm sure Dean will disclose some of the things I have forgotten.

Alan
Last edited by AlanM on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by Nathan Parsons -

Dance Me To The End Of Love (includes Leonard's words at the end about touring ... )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY5v0dbY6Y8
Mikeaus

Post by Mikeaus »

That was a concert befitting the 40th anniversary year of the The Sydney Opera House. What a wonderful venue for a truly wonderful performance.

So Long Marianne
http://youtu.be/TLWh3qT22tk
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by sereneava

Tower of Song - "Leonard talks about the different stages of mens' allure to women."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ELuqQlENo
dce

Post by dce »

Mikeaus wrote:That was a concert befitting the 40th anniversary year of the The Sydney Opera House. What a wonderful venue for a truly wonderful performance.
You're not wrong Mike ... it was a great celebration of the Opera House's birthday plus a great recognition of the stature which Leonard has attained here in Australia. Who would have ever thought back in 2008 that he would ever have been not only playing a capacity audience in such a prestigeous (grown up's) venue but also evoking such a strong audience response.

I have just arrived back home, and though I have still to sort through my various notes from the concert last night, I thought I would transcribe a (hopefully accurate) version of the monologue which Leonard gave during Tower of Song. This followed directly on from the remarks about "compassion for the elderly" he so often uses when replying to spontaneous applause for his keyboard solo. Pretty much straight after those comments he launched into the following rather amusing tale:

"Y'know I was talking with some of the guys . . . some of the guys in the band are kind of over the hill. And they were talking about the various stages that a man goes through in relation to his allure to the opposite sex. It was not a scientific evaluation . . . just something that arose over a cup of coffee.

"It went something like this: you start of irresistable, then you become resistable. Then you become transparent -- not exactly invisible but as if you are seen through old plastic. Then you actually DO become invisible. And then -- and this is the most amazing transformation -- you become repulsive. But that's not the end of the story. After repulsive then you become 'cute' . . . and that's where I am.

This was all "accompanied" by the canned bossanova rythm of his keyboard, which just kept on playing for a minute or more while he delivered this deadpan comic routine (to much laughter from the audience).

A little later in the concert someone yelled out from the front of the crowd that they thought Leonard was irresistable, to which he replied that he was quite happy being "cute".

It was quite a memorable note for this very memorable concert. There are a number of other things that were worthy of mention, too ... and once I've had a chance to get my notes into order I will try to write up a comprehensive concert review.

Dean (from Adelaide)
(For most of November 2010, I followed Leonard and the band as they toured around Australia and New Zealand. You can read about my wanderings on the blog I created to collect them all in one place: http://lcdownunder2010.wordpress.com/)
carolduncan

Post by carolduncan »

My photos from this wonderful show are here on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dukpix/set ... 311327003/
carolduncan

Post by carolduncan »

A few photos from the Opera House show - which was just exquisite.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dukpix/set ... 311327003/
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

As we say in Australia "It's all in the way you hold your mouth".
As we say in Australia "It's all in the way you hold your mouth".
I thought the Hi-Hat was a drum!
I thought the Hi-Hat was a drum!
Who put that there?
Who put that there?
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013

Return to “TOUR 2013 IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND”