CONCERT REPORT: Auckland, New Zealand – December 21, 2013

The last leg of the Old Ideas tour in November and December 2013
B4real

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Auckland, New Zealand – December 21, 20

Post by B4real »

At last! Thanks so much Joy, for your informative report!
btw .....I took five years to post a report from the Brisbane concert 2009, so ...... :)
joyezekiel wrote:However, there didn’t seem to be quite the cohesion and rapport between the other band members that I saw throughout last year. I am thinking particularly of the playful exchanges between Mitch, Alex and Javier, and the flirty stuff with the girls.
Maybe it was different in New Zealand but I can tell you first hand the physical, implied and musical exchanges between all parties were varied and numerous in Australia at each and every one of the eight concerts I went to.

One particularly unique incident I forgot to mention happened at Newcastle (Bimbadgen Winery) prior to the start of Dance Me To The End Of Love. Just before he picked up his violin to play, Alex with a mischevious look on his face, blew Leonard a very long kiss! Leonard wryly acknowledged it :razz: I wish I had a video camera or I was quicker with my own camera but it was so unexpected and I was "in the moment" ;-)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
holydove

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Auckland, New Zealand – December 21, 20

Post by holydove »

Joy, thank you for remembering all those details two months later (that's quite a feat!), & for sharing them with us.
joyezekiel wrote: unlike after the 2010 Las Vegas concerts when I was an emotional wreck thinking I would never see him again.
I remember it well. I don't think I've ever been such a wreck, before or since. I think I was something of an emotional wreck for all of 2009 & 2010 - it was such an intense whirlwind & I was essentially in a constant state of frenzy (as I know many of us were) - but especially for those LV 2010 concerts! I didn't know how I would survive & it would have been devastating if those concerts had really been the last.

Thank goodness they weren't. We are so fortunate that Leonard & the UHTC came back to us in 2012 & 2013, & showered us with even more precious gifts. Leonard & the band were more amazing than ever, during this recent tour, & I truly hope that we will be able to bask in the presence of Leonard Cohen & his beautiful transcendent music again, in the not-too-distant future.

I'm so glad you were able to be there in Auckland, Joy, & thank you again for conjuring your memories (even without notes!), & sharing them here.
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Auckland, New Zealand – December 21, 2013

Post by sturgess66 »

Just uploaded to YouTube by Joao Miguel Figueiredo Silva

Leonard Cohen 's Last Concert | Vector Arena | Auckland | New Zealand | 21st December 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKxquhaxf2Y
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

sturgess66 wrote:Just uploaded to YouTube by Joao Miguel Figueiredo Silva

Leonard Cohen 's Last Concert | Vector Arena | Auckland | New Zealand | 21st December 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKxquhaxf2Y
Hi
This is probably the recording that has surfaced not so long ago on Dime (recording by Raincoat1). I'll check when I get home...
Recordings from Dime are free to be distributed amongst fans and friends, but in loseless format (FLAC,...). One can always convert these files into mp3 etc... for personal use.

That being said: it's great to have the final concert as an audience recording! We can't thank Raincoat1 enough for his hard work in editing these recordings and making them available (and Raincoat1's partner for sitting through so many Cohen concerts and taping them for us! :-) )

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi again

TXT file from Dime (uploaded Nov 11 2016):
Leonard Cohen
Vector Arena
Auckland
New Zealand
21st December 2013

Leonard's last show - "Tonight, and especially tonight"

Thought I would put this up for the first time on the anniversary, but today seems more appropriate. RIP Leonard and thank you.

(It's great to see all the tribute uploads this morning, sad of course the reason for them. Now would be a good time for all of us to get our collections of recordings up to date and complete, so please keep them coming.)

Audience recording ECM719 Sony mic > Sony PCM M10 24/48 > Audio Cleaning Lab, edits, fades, eq, tracking, volume >

TLH Flac 8 16bit, sbe ok.

Set One
01 Dance Me to the End of Love
02 The Future
03 Bird on the Wire
04 Everybody Knows
05 Who By Fire
06 The Darkness
07 Amen
08 Come Healing
09 Waiting for the Miracle
10 Lover, Lover, Lover
11 Anthem

Set Two
12 Tower of Song
13 Suzanne
14 Chelsea Hotel #2
15 The Partisan
16 Alexandra Leaving
17 I'm Your Man
18 A Thousand Kisses Deep (poem)
19 Hallelujah
20 Take This Waltz

Encores
21 So Long, Marianne
22 First we Take Manhattan
23 Famous Blue Raincoat
24 If It Be Your Will
25 Closing Time
26 I Tried to Leave You
27 Save the Last Dance for Me

Fades in and out inserted between tracks 20 and 21 to allow burn to CDR for those who wish.

Leonard Cohen - Vocals, guitar
Roscoe Beck - bass & vocal (Musical Director)
Alexandru Bublitchi – violin
Rafael Gayol - drums & percussion
Neil Larsen - keyboard, accordion, brass instruments
Javier Mas - acoustic guitar, oud & misc string instruments
Sharon Robinson – vocal
Mitch Watkins - guitar
Charlie and Hattie Webb, The Webb Sisters – vocal, guitar, harp

Convert to whatever format you choose of course, but please do not sell this recording (we know who you are), or upload to
any other torrent site. Thank you.

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Maarten wrote: We can't thank Raincoat1 enough for his hard work in editing these recordings and making them available (and Raincoat1's partner for sitting through so many Cohen concerts and taping them for us! :-) )

Maarten
I think I know what raincoat1 and his partner would say in reply. Something like "it was tough but someone had to do it ...."

Sadly raincoat's hope of lots of new concerts surfacing generally only produced reseeds. I am sure there must be lots of people out there who have recordings of shows that haven't been covered anywhere yet.

Wendy
mutti

Post by mutti »

If I want to listen to this would someone be so kind as to tell me how to do it? or is my only choice to go to you tube to listen? Is it possible to download it to my laptop so I can listen at my leisure. I am not sure how to do it.
Thanks
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

For Firefox there is an extension "Download Helper". Install it, then just open the YouTube link. The Download Helper icon will start rotating (right up). Click on it, choose a format and download the whole vid. :)
Eva
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thanks Mamjuka but I don't have Firefox so tried with Safari. I could upload but not download.
I'll see if I can do it on Firefox. Appreciate your suggestion.
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

PM or e-mail me Les if you don't solve it. I can't do much at the moment as I am away from home but I can ask T what software he uses to download from YouTube.

W
B4real

Post by B4real »

Today is 21 December 2020. Here downunder, tonight is the 7th anniversary of this Auckland 2013 concert. As we know it was the very last ever concert for Leonard and today I inexplicably felt the need to commemorate it. I was offered a front row seat to this concert by a kind and thoughtful Canadian. Unfortunately, I couldn’t accept it because of health reasons. My seat eventually went to another Australian. They both know who they are ;-)

I thought it might be nice for those of you who were there that night to share any additional memories, photos or videos you may have of this special occasion. If not, then that’s OK too - I simply couldn’t let this day go by without it being recognized for the significant moment in time that it was.

As the initial link above for the concert is now unavailable, here’s another one for those who wish to relive it or listen for the first time. It’s 3hrs 26mins and 15secs of audio and varies a little from the set list above - https://youtu.be/Aq6G6SSEy4Q

Enjoy it while it's still available!
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
pe swijngedouw

Post by pe swijngedouw »

B4real wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:53 am Today is 21 December 2020. Here downunder, tonight is the 7th anniversary of this Auckland 2013 concert. As we know it was the very last ever concert for Leonard and today I inexplicably felt the need to commemorate it. I was offered a front row seat to this concert by a kind and thoughtful Canadian. Unfortunately, I couldn’t accept it because of health reasons. My seat eventually went to another Australian. They both know who they are ;-)

I thought it might be nice for those of you who were there that night to share any additional memories, photos or videos you may have of this special occasion. If not, then that’s OK too - I simply couldn’t let this day go by without it being recognized for the significant moment in time that it was.

As the initial link above for the concert is now unavailable, here’s another one for those who wish to relive it or listen for the first time. It’s 3hrs 26mins and 15secs of audio and varies a little from the set list above - https://youtu.be/Aq6G6SSEy4Q

thank you, very, very much, for this link, giving the possibility to re-live a concert i couldn't be present at (from here, NZ is just the opposite side of the globe, and far out of reach of my wallet). After yesterday's treat, from Maarten, Gabriele and Tyralot, this is another night of sweetness and wonderful memories.
... precisely ...
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

B4real wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:53 am As the initial link above for the concert is now unavailable, here’s another one for those who wish to relive it or listen for the first time. It’s 3hrs 26mins and 15secs of audio and varies a little from the set list above - https://youtu.be/Aq6G6SSEy4Q

Bev - I haven’t listened to it but if the recording varies a little from the setlist above then it’s either incomplete or another concert altogether! The Raincoat1 recording is 100% authentic.

BTW as far as I know,the original Raincoat1 recording is still available on Dime.

Wendy
B4real

Post by B4real »

pe swijngedouw wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:04 am thank you, very, very much, for this link, giving the possibility to re-live a concert i couldn't be present at (from here, NZ is just the opposite side of the globe, and far out of reach of my wallet). After yesterday's treat, from Maarten, Gabriele and Tyralot, this is another night of sweetness and wonderful memories.
Pe, it's always my pleasure to help where I can and I'm so glad I first answered Tyralot's initial post question over 2 years ago because look what it eventually led us to :D And it's nice to catch up with you after all this time!

Wendy, also nice to catch up with you too!
Sorry, I should have been more specific. The set list above should have included Going Home between So Long Marianne and First We Take Manhattan. The new YouTube link includes it as does Raincoat’s recording. (Hello T!)
It is the right concert containing 28 songs ending at approx 3hrs. The remainder of the link is some disordered and disjointed repetition of the intro and first four songs of the concert.

Here's the Official Set List - https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 15#p342436
and the one on the first page of this thread is the same - https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 18#p342420
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Thanks for clarifying Bev. I will remonstrate with Raincoat1 for missing Going Home off his track list. It’s been seeding on Dime since Nov 2016 and no one has pointed it out before!

Wendy

Return to “TOUR 2013 IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND”