CONCERT REPORT: New York City, April 6 & 7, 2013

Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: New York City, April 6 & 7, 2013

Post by sturgess66 »

jarkko wrote:We have posted 150 pictures by Eija at http://cohen.1g.fi/kuvat/New+York,+April+2013/
This gallery covers the following happenings in New York:
- Sylvie Simmons at Chez Andre in the Standard Hotel
- Dinner at East of Eighth (with performances by Sylvie Simmons, Ali Hughes, Brett Avery)
- Visit to the Chelsea Hotel
- Sound check and concert at Radio City Music Hall.

You may download any of the photos in full size & resolution from the Gallery.
Thank you Jarkko & Eija for all the pictures! It looks like a good time was had by all.
Some wonderful pictures of that gorgeous Radio City Music Hall - and terrific captures from the sound check & shows.
susanne30072009

Post by susanne30072009 »

Jarkko: one more Time: thanks for the exzellent Fotos, a pleasure, as always...
What would we do without you and your passioned work for us, the Fans...
Jus a simple "thank you" isn't good enough, and this is so for a long, long Time....
But: I just want to let you know, You're doin' an outstanding Job on a "free" base...
And that's extraordinary..!
We really do appreciate it, and this is what we simply want to say to you!

Many, many thanks: Uwe + Suzanne

We really looking for another "meeting", but it Looks like that will be at another (hopefully) Tour in 2014...
But, who knows...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I can't concur my agreement with this strongly enough... the dynamic we were able to witness thanks to the cameraman in Europe doing full-on close-ups of the Webb Sisters when each dueted with Leonard. Seeing it close-up is unbelievably powerful:

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/W/Web ... Y.facebook

Artist: The Webb Sisters

Sisters learn from Leonard Cohen
By DENIS ARMSTRONG - QMI Agency

Share on facebook Share on stumbleupon Share on live Share on fark More Sharing Services

The Webb Sisters learned something about singing from Leonard Cohen.

How to make love through a song.

Singing backup to the legendary 75-year-old poet and troubadour since March 2008, The Webbs -- Charley, 31 and Hattie, 29 -- learned that for the song to work, it's important to sing it back to Cohen, and Cohen to sing to them, as if they were lovers having a chat.

"For the last 40 years, the woman's role in a Cohen song is to be the life and breath of a song," says Charley from their New York hotel.

"Most songwriters talk about the exterior of their music, but Leonard talks about music from the inside out. He wants to invite people into a song. We were free to add anything we wanted as long as Leonard liked it. He gave gradual, organic instruction."

"Cohen has the innate ability to command with a whisper instead of a shout," adds Hattie. "It wasn't just about the music, but being surrounded by Cohen and all these Canadians. It was like being a part of a family. It's had an immeasurable impact on our career and on us.

"I love being around Canadians, eh?" she adds laughing.

But if it's true that Cohen, who was just inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, didn't want his backup singers to be too good-looking for fear of being called a dirty old man, he screwed up when he hired the Webbs.

Before joining Cohen's tour, the two sisters were known around their hometown of Kent, England, for playing pub gigs with their two brothers, both drummers. A trip to California and Nashville resulted in their recording two folksy EPs -- A Piece of Mind and Daylight Crossing -- of mostly mystical Enya-like Celtic music.

The stunning sisters appear to be fast-tracking their way to becoming stars of their own with their first extended North American tour and the release of their latest EP The Other Side.

They're also building a little buzz for their forthcoming debut album, produced by Grammy Award-winning producer Peter Asher, before they rejoin the Cohen tour again in September.

"It's traditional folk but we call it modern chamber music because it doesn't fit neatly into a box. It's folksy, polite and intimate music, but not so polite that it doesn't show some emotion," says Charley.

"It's not specific to any genre. You have to feel the music on the inside to know what it is."

Leonard Cohen would be proud.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
sebmelmoth2003

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

paloma faith - interview in event magazine, mail on sunday - 16.02.2014.

The best gig I’ve been to was Leonard Cohen last year at Radio City in New York. I’d read his lyrics and poems and enjoyed covers of his songs like Dance Me To The End Of Love sung by Madeleine Peyroux, but I’d never actually sat and listened to him.

It’s the only gig I’ve cried at. It wasn’t hysteria, it was purely being moved. When you listen to him sing, and reflect on how he wasn’t always the best person he could be, and how we all say and do things we regret, it just breaks your heart.

------
rest of interview below :

paloma faith the singer thinks Jeremy Kyle’s a bully and Roald Dahl’s revolting... and that’s just the way she likes them
Music

I think Laura Mvula’s absolutely divine, so sensitive and not of this world really, while her music is quite captivating. She came on tour with me and I would listen to her every day before I went on stage. I’d have to switch it off when she came to the dressing room just out of embarrassment.

Nina Simone reminds me of my childhood. Every time the song I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl comes on, my mum Pam reminds me that she asked Nina to play it for her at a gig in the Sixties somewhere, probably Ronnie Scott’s.

The first show I ever saw was The Fugees [right] at The Forum in Kentish Town. Iwas underage but I had an ID card made that said I was 18, even though I looked about 12. I remember shaking in case they figured out it was fake. Iwas so wide-eyed and I couldn’t believe that people I considered to be my idols were actually in front of me.

Books

My favourite author is Hanif Kureishi. In 2013 I made it my New Year’s resolution to try to meet people who inspired me and he was top of my list. After meeting him I’m an even more loyal fan. In books like Intimacy he made me delve into corners of myself that I wouldn’t necessarily otherwise do on a daily basis. What I like is that he shows empathy for his characters, but there’s humour in there, too.

As a child I loved Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl – even then I knew when sections were verging on the inappropriate. I remember a line talking about Red Riding Hood: ‘She whips a pistol from her knickers.’

I used to get my mumor dad to read that over and over again because I thought it was so naughty.
Television

I don’t really watch television, but if I ever do I sit absolutely riveted by The Jeremy Kyle Show. I can’t forgive myself for it, and I even watch it on catch-up sometimes, I’m ashamed to say. I can’t fathom why people want to go on there to air their wares, but I’m more fascinated by him because I think he’s a bully.

As a chil dI was obsessed by Watchdog and the docu-drama 999. I was a worried child and actually developed a fear of getting in lifts because I’d seen somebody get stuck in one on 999. And I also used to tell my mum she shouldn’t buy certain things in the supermarket that Watchdog had warned about – I genuinely thought I was protecting people by getting a heads-up from those shows.

Film

The Paolo Sorrentino film The Great Beauty is so moving. It’s about how often quite beautiful things are staring us in the face but we don’t notice because we take them for granted. It really makes you consider complacency, and whether we go through life with our eyes properly open. The film is a real homage to the director Federico Fellini, but it’s also a modern Italian take on surrealism. I love Italy – I’ve got family there, and I speak Italian too... although really badly.

My all-time favourite film is 2046 by Wong Kar-wei [right]. It’s a sequel to his film In The Mood For Love, in which a couple deny themselves a relationship because they’re both married. In this the man tries to find love again but can’t find a woman he loves as much as the one he lost. I really relate to them, because they’re both so in thrall to their moral stance that they miss out on happiness.

Performing arts

My mum took me to see Sankai Juku [below] a Japanese Butoh dance company at Sadler’s Wells when I was about eight. It was mesmerising and felt really otherworldly. The dancers moved around in unison like creatures. They were painted white, and then they threw bright-red watermelons on the floor. Visually, it was amazing. Recently I enjoyed Punchdrunk theatre company’s show at the McKittrick Hotel in New York. You walk round like a voyeur watching characters, and you can interact or not. Everyone in the audience is masked so you’re robbed of your identity, and that’s how they distinguish between audience and characters.

Interview by Andrew Preston Paloma Faith’s new single ‘Can’t Rely On You is out on Feb 23, and the album ‘A Perfect Contradiction’ is released on March 10
sebmelmoth2003

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

...I love going to gigs (Leonard Cohen is still the only person who’s ever made me cry) but they’re sometimes worse for getting recognised because they’re full of music fans...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebri ... nship.html

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”