CONCERT REPORT: Dublin, September 11th and 12th 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
musicmania

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Dublin, September 11th and 12th 2013

Post by musicmania »

Cheshire gal wrote:Take a look at Darkness just downloaded by Irishal. Very funny at 5.25 when Leonard sings 'you were young and it was summer' he flinches and smiles. Great video. Thanks for that Al.
He done the same during Hallelujah at the verse "There was a time you let me know....." I found it very amusing watching him flinch and smile to himself.

And another reference about Darkness was at the start of this song there was some private joke on stage between Leonard and the ladies with lots of smiles. No idea what it was but I'd hazard guess it was about the intro the previous night which is normally the intro to Ain't No Cure For Love.

@Leslie and Bev, that IS hilarious.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

rigray wrote: It's true that there were some seats still available at the very back.
Exactly, some in the corners right up at the back on Wednesday, even fewer on Thursday - not " banks of empty seats" as reported by one journalist! (Another reminder not to believe everything you read in the paper...)
I think it is a great tribute to LC that so many people in these hard times (as acknowledged by him) were prepared to pay almost €90 for seats so far back - tickets were so much cheaper in England!

I agree with you, rigray, that this was "one of the best".
Lissadell was lovely, but the audience restless.
Kilmainham was lovely, but FREEZING.
This was as near perfection as possible.
What a joy to be in a purpose built concert hall instead of a double-jobbing sports hall, to have no weather worries, and a warm, responsive audience both nights - "a perfect mixture of appreciation and response" , "a good kind of rowdy" , according to Leif, and he knows what he is talking about!

My highlights?
"The night comes on " on Wed., the first song which attracted me to LC's work, and which for me has associations with my Mother.
"Suzanne" - still so beautiful, so reminiscent of the young Cohen, so beautifully lit.
"Chelsea Hotel" - it must take courage to sing this song written by a younger, angrier man, with its brutally honest conclusion.
"Save the last dance for me" at the end. So suited to Leonard - sparkling wine, fine music, darling - made for him!
Sadly, though, it did sound like goodbye Ireland...

Later we watched the loaded tour trucks heading for the port, and felt disconsolate. I thought of Shakespeare's words:
"Our revels now are ended.These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits and
Are melted into air, into thin air."

Thanks to all of you who were there and posted reviews, videos and photos. Now, that's all that there is... :(
Last edited by Athnuachan on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ring the bells that still can ring...
Albert

Post by Albert »

This has not much to do with Dublin, but I did not know, where else to post.
Found this today, you sure know the two ladies.

I have been to ten concerts in 1979, and this still is my favorite Cohen Tour of all times.
Attachments
Ludwigshafen Germany 26 NOV 79
Ludwigshafen Germany 26 NOV 79
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by Marieke Van Atten

Famous Blue Raincoat/ If It Be Your Will
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXnnZds5yx4
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

HelenOE wrote:The online version of Rolling Stone has a piece on "I've Got A Little Secret" using Albert Noonan's video. Too bad they didn't bother including his name. At least they did call the video "pretty stellar."
This happened in Dublin (the luck of the Irish :D ) so I'm including it here as well - just for the record -

Article in Rolling Stone - http://www.rollingstone.com/music/video ... d-20130915
Leonard Cohen Debuts New Song In Ireland
Watch the first performance of 'I've Got A Secret'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiYunX_mplg
[VIDEO BY ALBERT NOONAN - "I've Got A Little Secret"]

By Andy Greene
September 15, 2013 9:50 AM

Leonard Cohen's never-ending tour touched down at Dublin's 02 Arena on September 12th, and midway through the show, he broke out a brand new song entitled "I've Got a Secret." Like many recent works by the seventy-eight-year-old singer-songwriter, the tune reflects on love and aging. "I'd like to love you baby, but I don't feel right," Cohen sings. "I've got this full length mirror, and it ain't a pretty sight." Thankfully, a fan captured a pretty stellar video of the performance from close range.

Some of the lyrics from the song come from "Feels So Good," a work that Cohen debuted on his 2009 tour and has sprinkled into his set list over the previous few years, though he has yet to release it on an album. He last played it on December 4th, 2012 in Toronto, and since then it seems to have morphed into this new song.

Cohen's most recent LP is Old Ideas, which hit shelves in January of 2012. Since then, he has circled the globe a couple of times over. Despite the fact that he's less than two years away from his 80th birthday, his shows regularly stretch beyond three and a half hours. He didn't play a single concert between 1993 and 2008, but when a former manager absconded with the vast majority of his life savings, he was forced back onto the road.

Much to his shock, Cohen quickly discovered that he loved life on the road, and the reviews have been almost entirely euphoric. "I was able to restore my tiny fortune within a year or so," he told Rolling Stone last year. "But I kept on touring. It wasn't exclusively that unique situation. Touring is like taking the first step on a walk to China. It's a serious commitment."

The European leg of Cohen's tour wraps up September 18th at Rotterdam, but just two months later he resumes with a series of shows in Australia and New Zealand.
coolfadda

Post by coolfadda »

Didn't know where to post this either... just thought you all might like this link... the Nina Simone and the Roberta Flack covers are just magic...
http://www.sandymounthotel.ie/blog/10-h ... ver-songs/ (definitely the sincerest of flattery here) Catherine (coolfadda)
JOSIECYBERSPACE

Post by JOSIECYBERSPACE »

HI Everybody!

Thank you for your videos, and reports especially Gwen....all super and you have taken a lot of time and energy to
get it all together....Well Done!

Yes for me the Video of Leonard's closing comments were very special...I was moved to tears! It was a very unique
night - I was there on Thursday Night September 12th. I am still on a high from this concert.. which was the personification
of style class and musical perfection. I am at a loss for words to sum it all up!

It was lovely to meet other fans in the Gresham on Friday morning and compare notes on our experiences and meeting
up with this great man and the rest of his fantastic Band!

Looking forward to next August 2014 and maybe getting involved to make it a memorable event!

Best always
Lost in the memories of this great Concert!!
Josie Cyberspace x :)
B4real

Post by B4real »

Leslie, anny and Gwen,
:lol: :razz: ;-) Must have been a Freudian slip!
I actually was going to say "Neil's Hammond B3" but those words didn't balance with "Mitch's guitar".
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
radar

Post by radar »

Thanks a million to Albert Noonan for his brilliance in capturing the concert.
Being part of the crowd made me proud to be Irish, which is a strange thing
to say maybe. Just an uplifting experience.
your love is a secret all over the block
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

Only just getting a chance to put pen to paper.

These were two excellent concerts. Ever since my first LC concert experience in Kilmainham in June 2008, I arrived at each subsequent concert with a very real fear that "this won’t be as good/long/memorable" and each time I came to realise that my fears are unfounded. These were long concerts by a group of seasoned professionals, slickly performed and presented. And yet the freshness and excitement and charm remains. It never descends to being a group of veterans going through the motions, or a sad reminder of past superlatives. Rather you stand listening to a troupe of performers who appear to be at the very peak of their game, giving it, in Leonard's words, their very best. And they deliver every time.

Some of the previous posters have more than adequately covered the concerts, so I will simply list the elements that stand out for me a few days later:
  • Sharon singing Alexandra Leaving - makes the hair stand on the back of my neck every time - not much more to say about this as all of the superlatives have already been used up
  • Alex on Violin - He adds so much to the performances, and not by any means confined to his spotlight moments as his strings enrich so many songs. I could equally pay tribute to the performances by Mitch, Javier, Rosco, Neil, Rafael all of whom are excellent, but Alex is special given the "hard act to follow" slot he occupied.
  • Leonard's description of the Webb Sisters as "Two blossoms from an ancient country lane" - The man can weave words in a way that paints the most wonderful and accurate pictures.
  • The impromptu comedy act on Wednesday during "Tower of Song". He stopped in the middle when he got a cheer and asked "are you humouring me ?” and “is this your idea of compassion ?" and then went on to use the keyboard as a prop and play games with it. It is wonderful to see somebody having fun and he sure was having fun.
  • Seeing the President of Ireland walk in with his son on Thursday night, sit down and chat to the people around him, and get on with enjoying himself in a low key way. The man is a breath of fresh air, whether or not you agree with his politics.
  • The songs; old and new. I never tire of hearing any these. Whether it is the reworked Lover, Lover, Lover with its pounding rhythm or the "new" songs that are already losing their newness and showing a few worn edges and starting to fit in nicely as a result, or the classics - Suzanne, Marianne, Bird on the Wire, Famous Blue Raincoat, Anthem and so many more. While I love to dig out "Songs of Love and Hate" or "Songs from a Room" and listen to the songs in the original style, I also enjoy every one of these classics in their new form. Not once do I find myself bemoaning the new and wishing for the old. And in terms of the programme, it's a real tribute to his life's work that he can fill such a very long programme without resorting to fillers or covers and still leave people complaining that he didn't fit in one or other of their favourites.
  • The interaction between the band members - I had the good fortune, thanks to this site, to have excellent seats on both nights. From which you could see the smiles and glances and the other non-verbal communications between the band members. I'm sure that 5 years on the road, much of it spent in buses, planes and hotels, must take its toll and there must be difficult moments, but you get the feeling that there is an unusual level of respect and warmth that can only benefit the performance.
  • The audience. Sometimes the audience is an irritation. Wandering around looking for drink, singing the words (badly) of the verse as well as the chorus to help all in earshot appreciate their vocal talents and harmonic improvements, big ladies with big hair waving their heads around in time to the music and so on. By these standards, both lots were a pleasure to be part of. Enthusiastic but not over the top, participating without drowning the act, and all in all adding to the experience.
  • I could start to pick highlights from the songs, but a lot of it has already been said, and praising one indirectly knocks another. They were all good, each a highlight in its own way. That said, I have to mention the full ensemble standing in a straight line for The Partisan, allowing a spacious gap for Mitch who has to remain seated. There is something very raw about this production, the stark almost black and white lighting, the wide sound, the strong and assured voices all of which is totally in keeping with the context and meaning of the song and which portrays the loss, sadness, inner strength and hope that are essential parts of any resistance movement and in particular the French Resistance. Another spine tingling moment for me.
  • Hearing the new song, knowing how Leonard agonises about such things, and then seeing him very obviously pleased by the reaction it gets. His eyes light up and you can see them sparkle in the closing moments. (And in "Rolling Stone's words "Thankfully, a fan captured a pretty stellar video of the performance from close range" - well done our Albert)
  • The energy levels on stage. While there are a few juniors in the line-up (Alex, The Webb sisters and Rafael) the remainder either should be pensioners or aren't too far away from it. And yet there is no taking it easy or holding back. Quite the opposite, as the night goes on they find more energy. This is especially striking in Sharon's case, as she smiles and actively swings her way through yet another encore, having already performed for over 3 hours. I'm in awe of the spirit that enthuses and sustains them, and wouldn't mind drinking from the cup.
  • The venue - it’s big, modern, and comfortable. It’s also efficient for entry, exit, bar service and the toilet facilities which are so important given the age cohort of the audience. But what is most amazing is to find near concert hall acoustics in a large shed. Living in the age of technology has its rewards.
  • "We don't know when we will pass this way again" - each time we hear it, it must be a step closer to the sad reality that there may not be a next time. But who cares, we are already most fortunate to have had the experience of the last 5 years. In his own elegant words from Wednesday night, “I haven't hung up my boxing gloves yet, but I know where the hook is......................”

Leonard Cohen - What a man. If I look forward to the week when I will be 79 (fortunately still a few years away for me) wouldn't it be wonderful to find myself living life to the extent that he does.

These were two excellent concerts, and if in fact they are the last episode, what wonderful mementoes of all that went before.
Last edited by FanForLife on Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

FanForLife wrote:Only just getting a chance to put pen to paper.
Excellent, thanks for sharing and filling in the blanks of where I wanted to write so much more but knowing for some I'd already written too much :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by Juanluiscc

First We Take Manhattan (Leonard Cohen Takes Dublin)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veXkrLIoVPU
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

FanForLife wrote:Only just getting a chance to put pen to paper.

These were two excellent concerts. Ever since my first LC concert experience in Kilmainham in June 2008, I arrived at each subsequent concert with a very real fear that "this won’t be as good/long/memorable" and each time I came to realise that my fears are unfounded. These were long concerts by a group of seasoned professionals, slickly performed and presented. And yet the freshness and excitement and charm remains. It never descends to being a group of veterans going through the motions, or a sad reminder of past superlatives. Rather you stand listening to a troupe of performers who appear to be at the very peak of their game, giving it, in Leonard's words, their very best. And they deliver every time.

Some of the previous posters have more than adequately covered the concerts, so I will simply list the elements that stand out for me a few days later:
  • Sharon singing Alexandra Leaving - makes the hair stand on the back of my neck every time - not much more to say about this as all of the superlatives have already been used up
  • Alex on Violin - He adds so much to the performances, and not by any means confined to his spotlight moments as his strings enrich so many songs. I could equally pay tribute to the performances by Mitch, Javier, Rosco, Neil, Rafael all of whom are excellent, but Alex is special given the "hard act to follow" slot he occupied.
  • Leonard's description of the Webb Sisters as "Two blossoms from an ancient country lane" - The man can weave words in a way that paints the most wonderful and accurate pictures.
  • The impromptu comedy act on Wednesday during "Tower of Song". He stopped in the middle when he got a cheer and asked "are you humouring me ?” and “is this your idea of compassion ?" and then went on to use the keyboard as a prop and play games with it. It is wonderful to see somebody having fun and he sure was having fun.
  • Seeing the President of Ireland walk in with his son on Thursday night, sit down and chat to the people around him, and get on with enjoying himself in a low key way. The man is a breath of fresh air, whether or not you agree with his politics.
  • The songs; old and new. I never tire of hearing any of these. Whether it is the reworked Lover, Lover, Lover with its pounding rhythm or the "new" songs that are already losing their newness and showing a few worn edges and starting to fit in nicely as a result, or the classics - Suzanne, Marianne, Bird on the Wire, Famous Blue Raincoat, Anthem and so many more. While I love to dig out "Songs of Love and Hate" or "Songs from a Room" and listen to the songs in the original style, I also enjoy every one of these classics in their new form. Not once do I find myself bemoaning the new and wishing for the old. And in terms of the programme, it's a real tribute to his life's work that he can fill such a very long programme without resorting to fillers or covers and still leave people complaining that he didn't fit in one or other of their favourites.
  • The interaction between the band members - I had the good fortune, thanks to this site, to have excellent seats on both nights. From which you could see the smiles and glances and the other non-verbal communications between the band members. I'm sure that 5 years on the road, much of it spent in buses, planes and hotels, must take its toll and there must be difficult moments, but you get the feeling that there is an unusual level of respect and warmth that can only benefit the performance.
  • The audience. Sometimes the audience is an irritation. Wandering around looking for drink, singing the words (badly) of the verse as well as the chorus to help all in earshot appreciate their vocal talents and harmonic improvements, big ladies with big hair waving their heads around in time to the music and so on. By these standards, both lots were a pleasure to be part of. Enthusiastic but not over the top, participating without drowning the act, and all in all adding to the experience.
  • I could start to pick highlights from the songs, but a lot of it has already been said, and praising one indirectly knocks another. They were all good, each a highlight in its own way. That said, I have to mention the full ensemble standing in a straight line for The Partisan, allowing a spacious gap for Mitch who has to remain seated. There is something very raw about this production, the stark almost black and white lighting, the wide sound, the strong and assured voices all of which is totally in keeping with the context and meaning of the song and which portrays the loss, sadness, inner strength and hope that are essential parts of any resistance movement and in particular the French Resistance. Another spine tingling moment for me.
  • Hearing the new song, knowing how Leonard agonises about such things, and then seeing him very obviously pleased by the reaction it gets. His eyes light up and you can see them sparkle in the closing moments. (And in "Rolling Stone's words "Thankfully, a fan captured a pretty stellar video of the performance from close range" - well done our Albert)
  • The energy levels on stage. While there are a few juniors in the line-up (Alex, The Webb sisters and Rafael) the remainder either should be pensioners or aren't too far away from it. And yet there is no taking it easy or holding back. Quite the opposite, as the night goes on they find more energy. This is especially striking in Sharon's case, as she smiles and actively swings her way through yet another encore, having already performed for over 3 hours. I'm in awe of the spirit that enthuses and sustains them, and wouldn't mind drinking from the cup.
  • The venue - it’s big, modern, and comfortable. It’s also efficient for entry, exit, bar service and the toilet facilities which are so important given the age cohort of the audience. But what is most amazing is to find near concert hall acoustics in a large shed. Living in the age of technology has its rewards.
  • "We don't know when we will pass this way again" - each time we hear it, it must be a step closer to the sad reality that there may not be a next time. But who cares, we are already most fortunate to have had the experience of the last 5 years. In his own elegant words from Wednesday night, “I haven't hung up my boxing gloves yet, but I know where the hook is......................”

Leonard Cohen - What a man. If I look forward to the week when I will be 79 (fortunately still a few years away for me) wouldn't it be wonderful to find myself living life to the extent that he does.

These were two excellent concerts, and if in fact they are the last episode, what wonderful mementoes of all that went before.

I don't usually quote a whole post like this, but I think this lovely piece of writing deserves attention! (Wouldn't like it to get covered up with "other stuff". )
For me, the definitive account of two great Dublin concerts.
I'm going to show it to a "doubting Thomas" who asks, in genuine bewilderment, "How can you go to the same concert over and over again?"
Thank you, FanForLife.
Last edited by Athnuachan on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ring the bells that still can ring...
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

FanForLife,

What an absolutely stunning, lovely review!!!!! Thank you so much.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

Anthem link fixed...apologies.
IrishAL wrote:Video

If it be your will
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7tANuwtlRc

Save the last dance for me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvSMhgqh7JU

1000 kisses deep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLX77OBdSGU

The darkness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpYtMqgZf0w

Anthem,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THUhjzYz2n4

I'll be back after a short break... :)

A.
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”