sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Leeds UK - Saturday 7 September 2013

Post by sturgess66 »

There are a lot of photographs at Getty Images - here - at the link -

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Searc ... ohen+leeds

And here's the link to Leif Bodnarchuk's blog - Old Ideas Tour — 7 Sep, Leeds
http://leifb73.com/2013/09/08/old-ideas ... sep-leeds/

Excerpt -
Tonight’s show provided no tumult, upheaval, or shockwave to speak of, and in fact, Leonard seemed in really good form. My favourite moment was watching the video screens during Tower of Song. If you’ll recall, I wrote about faux panpipes and Shakira some time ago; during a break in the song, Leonard flicked a switch on the keyboard and that sound of the forest swirled in the air. He ran his fingers over a succession of keys, noodling in tune with the automated rhythm provided by the keyboard, and when the passage was complete, projector screens filled with his face, he pursed and puffed his lips, and raised his eyebrows, an expression that read, ‘Hey, not bad.’
caz

Post by caz »

ncb wrote:Apologies to Caz, we were some of those who didn't sit down. In mitigation we would point out that as soon as LC left the stage before the encores people ran in to line up in front of the stage. The only way we could see is if we remained standing. From our point of view it wasn't as bad as Manchester for pushing but I fully appreciate how annoying it is for those behind, sorry.
No worries on your account: I knew there would be some, like me had I stood up too (but there was no point anyway), who were pushed into doing something they didn't want to do for one or all of the reasons I listed. The fault lies with either the management (who should have stepped in) or those who were in the front row and started off the ripple effect or, as you have explained, ran forward. Now that IS selfish - they must know what effect that has! (I suspect they won't ever read this comment as they are probably not members of this Forum - we're all far too considerate! Unless they're just Joiners who come here to enjoy the pre-sale then never return.) Anyway - maybe I'll email the venue to point out what happened and see what they say.

Thanks for your reply, and glad you enjoyed the concert: you didn't say as much in your post but I'm pretty sure you did!! :D
anneeshipley

Post by anneeshipley »

A comment from point of view of someone (forum member) who had a front row seat. We did not want to stand up but suddenly people rushed to the front and stood in front of us and if we wanted to see we had no choice but to stand and I did think this is aweful for anyone behind who for whatever reason didn't want to stand as I would have preferred to sit but felt for the encore it was acceptable to stand. Maybe I am seen as a forum member who does not post much on this forum but only do so when I think I have an opinion worth reporting so maybe I am seen as a forum member who jumps on the bandwagon to get tickets.. I feel some people are very quick to judge without knowing the facts!!
TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

[quote="da2008"]What was that heckler yelling when Leonard was apologizing for moving the concert? That was the low point for me.

Just picking up on the comment above, I was initially horrified by the heckle you mention as, presumably in the desire to get heard, the comment was shouted and therefore sounded quite aggressive. But, unless I am much mistaken, I believe the thrust of the comment was "we'll wait forever" or similar.
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

In response to caz and anneshipley:

Since the beginning of the summer 2009 tour (I first saw it happen at the second show of that tour, in Berlin on 2 July 2009), there has been a rush of people to stand at the front for the encores. The majority of them are probably forum members. I would much rather it didn't happen but Leonard clearly loves it. Watch videos of So Long Marianne on YouTube and you'll see exactly what I mean. It's the one point where Leonard knows exactly how the audience is reacting to his show and his smiles show just how much he loves the singing that goes with it.

When people start to move, those seated at the front have two choices: beat them to it or accept that you will have people in front of you for the encores and/ or won't see much of Leonard for the last few songs. My decision is to try and beat them to it, even though I struggle to stand for the whole of the encores - my stick was wobbling a lot last night .... It's selfish and inconsiderate, particularly to those behind who cannot stand for long or who, like caz, can't see anything even if they do stand. I am not saying it is right but it is a fact of life in Europe: it happens at every European show, without exception. All you can do if you don't want to join in is console yourself that you had a great view of the show for over 2 hours.

By the way, it's not just the Leonard Cohen fans. It happens for a lot of other artists as well.

Wendy
Last edited by Mabeanie1 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
caz

Post by caz »

anneeshipley wrote: I feel some people are very quick to judge without knowing the facts!!

And I don't think you read my post properly.
anneeshipley

Post by anneeshipley »

I was not referring to anyones comments in particular just voicing the fact that not all of us on the front row were being inconsiderate without a thought we were as inconvenienced as much as those folks rows back.
Anyway I do not ever want to get into conflict with any other person on this forum as everyone is entitled to their point of view, I was merely trying to give another perspective. No more posts from me in the near future.

Anne
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu »

I too travelled to the Leeds concert. Every superlative is true - and more than that. I felt that I had witnessed grace that was not religious; I was left with a memory of an experience deeper than it boundaries. Something very beautiful. Something very, very precious. Something wonderfully real.
I agree that the vocals were the best yet. In My Secret Life. Anthem. Who By Fire. Partisan. Bird on A Wire (always!). recitation of A Thousand Kisses Deep. Amen. Darkness. and Sharon singing Alexandra Leaving - wow, wow, wow ... . Oh, everything was a highlight. I loved Leonard's emphasis with "He said:" Lover, Lover, Lover.
A hi to Jane who I sat beside - our paths might have crossed unrecognised in the past in Inverness, in Aberdeen and in Edinburgh. Jane, will our paths cross in future in a concert in Montreal? I hope that you too have begun saving!
I also agree with Cat's comments. I sat in the third row (thanks, Jarkko et al.), behind two tall people. I watched most of the concert on the screens. ... That's the way it goes .... Everybody knows ... .
So, 2015? A year off from touring to work on a new cd and dvd? Leonard, please return. We'll be here, waiting to hear you playing anything you want.
Thank you for all the concerts so far. Thank you to all of the Unified Heart Touring Company.
Annie
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
da2008

Post by da2008 »

TommyJ wrote:
da2008 wrote:What was that heckler yelling when Leonard was apologizing for moving the concert? That was the low point for me.

Just picking up on the comment above, I was initially horrified by the heckle you mention as, presumably in the desire to get heard, the comment was shouted and therefore sounded quite aggressive. But, unless I am much mistaken, I believe the thrust of the comment was "we'll wait forever" or similar.
Oh, that's good to hear. I was hoping it wasn't anything bad, but Leonard kind of stoppped in his speech awkwardly. It felt sort of strange. Good good good.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

David/cohenadmirer - I'm adding your good video - thanks!

Famous Blue Raincoat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLKi_esLK_k

Anthem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j24NPI6Y14Y

Closing Time (partial) - and Leonard's blessings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_a49yV16Pk
newcastlekeith

Post by newcastlekeith »

What a great trip. An easy 2 hour drive, a stylish hotel in central Leeds and an excellent lunch. Then the concert itself - several thousand fans flocked to the arena for 3 hours of spiritually uplifting and wonderful songs and music by a group of unbelievably talented musicians and singers led by the master himself, the incomparable Leonard Cohen. Too many highlights to list in what was the best concert I have ever attended - great sound quality, sparkling humour, and brilliant intimate renditions of songs that have been the soundtrack to his and my life, made ever more special with my wife Alex by my side. Some dismiss Cohen as a doleful troubadour but his songs are about love, life, loss, hope and redemption. For those who think that 'Hallelujah' is a power-ballad for wannabees on talent shows, or an incidental song from Shrek, Cohen's masterful original version stripped it back to reveal the true nature of devotion. Superb!
James-on-tour

Post by James-on-tour »

caz wrote: The encores: (and this comment might annoy some people who think I'm being a mardy spoilsport) - it was really frustrating when those in the rows in front of us didn't sit back down again after the standing ovation. Having had a really good (the best?) view throughout, they then prevented people behind seeing anything for all the encore songs. If you're only 5' 2" like me, standing up yourself doesn't make any difference - and what if you don't want to anyway, or don't want to block others' view, or are physically impaired and can't stand for that amount of time? The blokes in front of me were good six-footers, apart from anything else. Good job the monitors were so good. I think - I hope - people just don't think, rather than it being a selfish "I don't care, I want to stand up" attitude.
Must agree in general. So many people think that they are the most important person there
and to hell with the other 20,000.
How many gigs do you go to that some idiot near you thinks that their version of the song
is better that the artist. Thrilling if you have paid a ton for a gig and you are listening to
someone who could not carry a tune in a bucket. I can't sing and I know it, it seems that many
others do not - all you need to do is look at X-Factor auditions.

I do not mind standing as I am 6' 2'' but prefer to remain seated as I am always concious of the people
behind me .... hope it did not ruin the show for you too much.
caz

Post by caz »

anneeshipley wrote:I was not referring to anyones comments in particular just voicing the fact that not all of us on the front row were being inconsiderate without a thought we were as inconvenienced as much as those folks rows back.

Anne
Hi Anne

I admit I did prickle at the "quick to judge" comment because I had acknowledged in my reply to ncb that there were people who were probably forced into doing things they didn't really want to do: I felt for them too. It's those who acted selfishly I was frustrated by.

As for the "joiners" - I made the comment "Unless they're just Joiners who come here to enjoy the pre-sale then never return." But you read the post so that excludes you! ;-)

Carole
deanzy1

Post by deanzy1 »

i was at the leeds concert and have to say it was truly amazing.i was also at the weybridge open air concert in 2009 and that being my first leonard concert was so special.a big thanks to leonard and all the band for a superb show.also hi to all of you as i am new to your forum
RogerE

Post by RogerE »

James-on-tour wrote:
caz wrote: The encores: (and this comment might annoy some people who think I'm being a mardy spoilsport) - it was really frustrating when those in the rows in front of us didn't sit back down again after the standing ovation. Having had a really good (the best?) view throughout, they then prevented people behind seeing anything for all the encore songs. If you're only 5' 2" like me, standing up yourself doesn't make any difference - and what if you don't want to anyway, or don't want to block others' view, or are physically impaired and can't stand for that amount of time? The blokes in front of me were good six-footers, apart from anything else. Good job the monitors were so good. I think - I hope - people just don't think, rather than it being a selfish "I don't care, I want to stand up" attitude.
Must agree in general. So many people think that they are the most important person there
and to hell with the other 20,000.
How many gigs do you go to that some idiot near you thinks that their version of the song
is better that the artist. Thrilling if you have paid a ton for a gig and you are listening to
someone who could not carry a tune in a bucket. I can't sing and I know it, it seems that many
others do not - all you need to do is look at X-Factor auditions.

I do not mind standing as I am 6' 2'' but prefer to remain seated as I am always concious of the people
behind me .... hope it did not ruin the show for you too much.
I think the standing ovations are nice conclusions to all the concerts and I'm convinced that the band and most of the audience enjoys them much.
Most of you who are complaining about this have already been enjoying an almost three hour concert in an obviously good seat, otherwise you wouldn't complain. Sounds like a lot to be happy about. But as soon as the regular performance is done it's time to party. Nothing to say against it. A bit of celebration and a touch of proximity effect...
I won't miss it, either if I'm in the standing crowd or not.

And: In my world, not everybody who can't hold his horses and stop himself from singing or humming along out of tune during a concert is automatically an idiot.

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”