CONCERT REPORT: Cardiff Wales, 3rd Sept 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
Mabeanie1

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Cardiff Wales, 3rd Sept 2013

Post by Mabeanie1 »

zwirnie wrote:For the setlist thread and to keep things complete ... is that the correct setlist? Maybe people who attended could comment on it .... Much appreciated, thank you.

Set 1
Dance Me to the End of Love
The Future
Bird on a Wire
Everybody Knows
Who By Fire
The Gipsy's Wife
The Darkness
Amen
Come Healing
Lover Lover Lover (+band intro)

Set 2
Tower of Song
Suzanne
Chelsea Hotel
Waiting for the Miracle
Anyhow NO
The Partisan
In My Secret Life
Alexandra Leaving (Sharon Robinson)
I'm Your Man
A Thousand Kisses Deep (poem)
Hallelujah
Take this Waltz

Encores
So Long Marianne
Going Home
First We Take Manhattan

Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will (Webb Sisters)
Closing Time

I Tried to Leave You
Save the Last Dance
I Can't Forget
This is NOT correct. We didn't hear Anyhow in Cardiff. They played Secret Life instead but in a different "slot". Leonard managed to wrong foot the band a couple of times in the second set, missing out Anyhow and going straight from Miracle to Partisan, then slotting Secret Life in before Alexandra Leaving. After I'm Your Man, the band thought he was going straight into Hallelujah and proceeded accordingly. Leonard calmly waited for them to stop playing before launching in to the poem.

I have posted the correct setlist on the Setlists thread. To be honest, I was hoping someone else would post it as I seem to be dominating the thread at the moment! Corrections are marked in red above.

Wendy
zwirnie

Post by zwirnie »

Mabeanie1 wrote:This is NOT correct. We didn't hear Anyhow in Cardiff. They played Secret Life instead but in a different "slot". Leonard managed to wrong foot the band a couple of times in the second set, missing out Anyhow and going straight from Miracle to Partisan, then slotting Secret Life in before Alexandra Leaving. After I'm Your Man, the band thought he was going straight into Hallelujah and proceeded accordingly. Leonard calmly waited for them to stop playing before launching in to the poem.

I have posted the correct setlist on the Setlists thread. To be honest, I was hoping someone else would post it as I seem to be dominating the thread at the moment! Corrections are marked in red above.

Wendy
Thank you so much Wendy for your corrections. I wasn't at the show, but interested in the setlist and just thought to get the ball rolling. Thanks again for the setlist!
Patrick
2010: Wellington, 2012/13: Berlin
crystal

Post by crystal »

I am very sorry, of course you are right Wendy!
Thank you for posting the correct list.
Christel
christineanne

Post by christineanne »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
zwirnie wrote:
After I'm Your Man, the band thought he was going straight into Hallelujah and proceeded accordingly. Leonard calmly waited for them to stop playing before launching in to the poem.

Wendy
You might not have been able to hear from where you were but I'm sure I heard him say 'hang on a sec, it's christineanne's birthday. I'll recite A Thousand Kisses Deep just for her and we'll start Halleluja after that' ;-)
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Big "Like" christineanne! And happy birthday for Tuesday if indeed it was your birthday!

Wendy
christineanne

Post by christineanne »

Thank you

It really was my birthday - and it's difficult to think of a better way to celebrate than an evening with Leonard :)
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

I'm pleased to hear that "My Secret Life" has replaced "Anyhow". Hopefully by London, "Anthem" will have replaced "Lover, Lover, Lover", and "Sisters of Mercy" will have replaced "Chelsea Hotel" ( as you may gather, "New Skin" is one of my least favourite albums, and there have been four tracks from it on this tour).
John Etherington

I'm pleased to hear that "My Secret Life" has replaced "Anyhow". Hopefully by London, "Anthem" will have replaced "Lover, Lover, Lover", and "Sisters of Mercy" will have replaced "Chelsea Hotel" ( as you may gather, "New Skin" is one of my least favourite albums, and there have been four tracks from it on this tour). Wishful thinking?
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Nice to get the ' extra ' song at the end
Love ' i can't forget'
Did the show start a little earlier ?
Was the curfew a little later ?
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Lloydterry

Post by Lloydterry »

crystal wrote:Just came back from England last night and after having seen two phantastic concerts in Brighton and Cardiff.
The Cardiff setlist as posted by Zwirnie is how I remember it. I was standing right in front of the stage and when after "Save the last dance" I saw him talking to the musicians and they were nodding and I realised we were in for a very dpecial treat and then they did "I can't forget". Very very moving.
I very much liked the relaxed and sometimes even funny atmosphere, the laughter and how everyone seemed to enjoy the night. I thought this very fitting like despite the despair and sorrow, the times you have hurt and were hurt, the mistakes one makes there is also laughter and joy and hey let's enjoy this together.
I liked the English audiences both in Brighton and Cardiff. Even this very drunk man in Cardiff who told everyone around him he was there to see Leonard Cohen and therefore has a right to be closest to the stage was silenced by a very stern look from one of the security people.
Our original seats were very disappointing. Although row 1 we were sitting right in front of the speakers and could hardly see the stage. But again security and a Lady from reception went out of their way to help us find other seats. In the end six seats in row 1 went empty and we could take 2 of them and they were very good.
Although I am very sad that this could have been my last concerts I am happy to have such great memories.
Hi to the forum members it was nice meeting you, enjoy the rest of the concerts, Christel
Sorry to be pedantic but Cardiff is in WALES not England.
1972 Leeds University, 2012 London Wembley Arena, 2013 Bournemouth.
christineanne

Post by christineanne »

cohenadmirer wrote:Nice to get the ' extra ' song at the end
Love ' i can't forget'
Did the show start a little earlier ?
Was the curfew a little later ?
By my watch, the show started at 7.40pm and ended at 11.10pm - don't know if the venue had a curfew but if so, I'm glad to say they ignored it! I agree, it was good to get the 'extra' song
Last edited by christineanne on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Etherington

Just noticed "I Can't Forget" is there, at the end! Leonard MUST keep this in, even if he dispenses with "Save the Last Dance For Me".
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Oh no, John, keep them both in!

Edit - the audience must have done something right to get that extra special song at the end.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Diane

Post by Diane »

I hadn't realised I Can't Forget was new on the set-list! Yes, we were fortunate.
paddieu

Post by paddieu »

MaryB wrote:Oh no, John, keep them both in!

Edit - the audience must have done something right to get that extra special song at the end.

Yes it was interesting because my friend didnt feel that the applause, whether at the end or throughout, was that strong so as to warrant
an extra [and rare !] song, but clearly Leonard was feeling it that night.

Because he was SO much more animated and passionate [yet more relaxed] than other time I have seen him [only once this tour],
I couldnt tell if it was the audience that inspired him to do so, or his own good mood.

Hopefully others will be able to give us a little feedback on both counts - the Cardiff audience and LC's 'mood' generally on this tour.
I myself would plump for it being the latter, but then I spent the whole night becoming increasingly more :shock: at his mood and level of energy.

I'll write more about that another time - I think I am still in shock that he was far more energetic on every level than 5 years ago - it just defies
everything we know about ageing [other than the vital lesson of practising one's dharma can bring such benefits] :D

I only wish some people had filmed the video screen because his face was so clear on there and really told its own tale. The 'eyes wide open'
expressions on almost every song took my breath away.

(Oh and incidentally the video screens were *awesomely* clear compared to any other concert I've seen. I wonder if he paid extra to have that
installed ? It was especially amazing given that people normally prefer 'soft focus', shall we say, as they get older !)

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”