CONCERT REPORT: Cardiff Wales, 3rd Sept 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
Hartmut

Re: AW: Tower of Song excerpt from Cardiff

Post by Hartmut »

Short bit of Tower of Song, including the commentary on the solo.
Quite funny.
HelenOE

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Cardiff Wales, 3rd Sept 2013

Post by HelenOE »

Review of the Cardiff concert in Wales Arts Review.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

HelenOE wrote:Review of the Cardiff concert in Wales Arts Review.
Thanks for the link Helen. It's not much of a review IMHO - too full of generalities and irrelevances for my taste. Why on earth would you compare Leonard Cohen to the Rolling Stones for goodness sake> However, I do think she is spot on with her description of the band:

"The nine musicians he had with him on stage last night displayed an extraordinary restraint, an acute sensitivity to the material, and a palpable admiration for one another .....the crucial difference here is the very subtle interactions between Cohen’s musicians, the sense of an organic whole that they present, and the way in which Cohen would step aside and watch, very respectfully, hat on his heart, as they took their individual solos.This very lack of ego is almost breathtaking."

Wendy
Diane

Post by Diane »

I still wish Cardiff could have offered Leonard Cohen a more beautiful room to sing in.

Cardiff has a more beautiful room, St David's Hall, which also has perfect acoustics. The Millennium Centre would have done too.

But there would have been at least two people in each seat.
flingwing

Post by flingwing »

Hi all. Well Cardiff was my second LC concert this year (also did Brussels which was as usual superb), and it's like everyone keeps saying, Leonard just keeps getting better all the time! He was in such obvious good humour and the performance was magnificent....highlights for me were Bird on the wire and, even though it isn't one of Leonard's own songs, I just adore save the last dance for me..i think it provides such a wonderful climax to the shows and Leonard's voice is just made for the song. I am really looking forward to my two "home" shows next week in Dublin, especially when Leonard sings So long Marianne, to which the Irish audiences in particular provide the ultimate in audience participation!..i vividly recall my first ever Leonard show which was at Lissadell in Sligo and I was at that time unaware of how the irish audiences love to sing the chorus to Leonard, well, I was completely blown away by the beauty and intensity of the sound and experience such that by the end of the song I was just in floods of tears! So glad also that these shows next week are indoors and we wont have the fickle irish weather to worry about. Please god it wont be the last time we have the gift of this wonderful man in our midst.
PJPlec

Post by PJPlec »

It was an amazing evening - he and the band were truly amazing as was the audience.

We felt privileged to be there and celebrate his work.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

Blog review of Cardiff concert by Riffs in the Diff. Well, actually a review of about 3/4 of the Cardiff concert:
Never again when it says doors at 6.30pm will I sneer and say ‘they won’t be on ’til at least 9 o clock’.
Very positive review nevertheless.
DaiCM

Post by DaiCM »

Living most of year in Chiang Mai Thailand have found it difficult to get to any of Leonard's concerts recently, however I come over to Cardiff 2 -3 times a year & luckily my last visit co-coincided with gig at Motorpoint. What a great evening,have read all the reviews, can't add anything except to say THANKYOU LEONARD. If any fans in Chiang Mai or Cardidiff want to get in touch can reach me Email dafyddw@yahoo.com In CM now back in Cardiff Nov 13 -30

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”