CONCERT REPORT: Manchester Arena UK August 31st 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
cohenadmirer

CONCERT REPORT: Manchester Arena UK August 31st 2013

Post by cohenadmirer »

Great show .
Nice to be sitting next to some young (well under 30 ) Leonard fans on the front row
A pleasure to meet and share a lift with fellow cohenite Margaret from Chester and to share the show with my very old friend Bev
The arena wasn't full , with the back upper tier curtained off .
Nonetheless 8000 plus had a great time
Nice to hear Chelsea Hotel !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8S2kfzE ... iniQi6JAJw

and the beauty of 'Alexandra Leaving'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7-h7QmcmeA

Always love the partisan

http://youtu.be/NJIz6nlUV4Q

Lots more videos from this show also on You tube channel ' Cohenadmirer1'
Last edited by cohenadmirer on Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
inforapenny

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Manchester Arena UK August 31st 2013

Post by inforapenny »

This was a bonus concert for me as I only bought the 6th row tickets 2 weeks ago from the lovely Jeremy on the forum.
Leonard was in top form. His voice seems to have improved and his vocal range has widened. He was much more relaxed than in previous shows and had more dialogue with the audience. He was really enjoying himself. The sound quality and lighting were brilliant. Sharon Robinson was given a standing ovation for Alexandra Leaving. . Everyone in the flat seated area was standing during all the encores. I think the set list was very similar to Brighton. For me this concert was the highlight of his 5 year tour.
James T

Post by James T »

I think a lot of people were thinking "who are these chancers on the front row?", but indeed it was me and I was delighted to get front row obviously. Was such a great show, loved the setlist ans it flowed perfectly. Was feeling really rough beforehand and decided the way through was a couple of pints for each side of the break. Just about made it through...

My eyes were a bit damp for so long marianne, gets me every time! Encores were delivered with such energy was like he only just came on stage! Javier Mas really makes the shows, also. Incredible.

Was a great bonus to get a wink and a point from Sharon when they came back out, also got a slight acknowledgement from the great man himself. Some woman ran up to the stage past the barrier to be right in front of him. He looked quite happy that he's still got it!! Security got rid of her, shame. She did steal my seat for the start of the second half though. Weird.
phillip

Post by phillip »

wow wow wow what a night it was, I was sat in the flat seated area Block B row E, so could see Leonard and Band VERY clearly, got a bit worried at one point at the start of Dance me to the end of Love when he was on his knees he must of lost his balance I was thinking hope he is ok, but he seemed ok. Nice to see some fans at the front row younger than myself really enjoying themselves too :) I love ALL Leonard's songs so its hard for me to pick Favourites but if I had to pick a few highlights gosh its hard 'The Partisan' 'Famous Blue Raincoat' 'So long Marianne' 'First We Take Manhattan' 'The Darkness' 'Amen' Suzanne' 'Hallelujah' 'Gypsy Wife' it was an amazing night love it all. I took a few photos not sure if they have turned out if they have I will post a few later. Leonard seemed more relaxed than ever before and seem to connect with the audience more, his voice was crystal clear and he seemed to move around the stage more too he seemed to be really enjoying himself. I have seen him 5 times now and last night if it is my last was really special I do hope to see him again though. On a last note I could not see anyone wearing any L.Cohen T-shirts was I the only one :?: :?: :?: I bought a nice Old ideas T-shirt, the album covers fridge magnets of live songs, songs of love and hate recent songs the future and old ideas, and the programme which I am about to read. it was fantastic and really enjoyed the night as did my mum aunt and uncle whom I went with :) Thankyou Leonard
Last edited by phillip on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
James T

Post by James T »

Hey I'm starting to feel like I made this night complete for you all up at the front, hah.... Didn't get to buy any merch I am pretty out of pocket right now and would rather use it to try and see the Leeds show, I live in hope. Gypsy Wife was brilliant in particular last night, which isn't traditionally one of my favourites. Anyhow was fantastic too! It all was, wasn't it? Can't wait for the next round of dates, should they ever happen...
phillip

Post by phillip »

yes James it was pure magic glad i was so close to the front :) I have always had good seats at Leonard Cohen converts but last night was amazing I was entranced! hope to see him again as you say can live in hope! hope you get to leeds :)
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

James T wrote: Some woman ran up to the stage past the barrier to be right in front of him. He looked quite happy that he's still got it!! Security got rid of her, shame. She did steal my seat for the start of the second half though. Weird.
It was a young woman, and happened while Leonard was kneeling in front of Javier during ' First we take Manhattan'. It wasn't long before she was whisked away but a good observation that he 'looked happy he's still got it'. Javier was amused too
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
SylviaB

Post by SylviaB »

Me, I had a great, magical weekend in Manchester and an excellent concert. For me one of the best performances I did attend and a wonderful warm attentive audience.
I have to do my "homework" and upload some pictures and videos and will write maybe a bit more, but a great article came to my attention in the hotel.

I don t get the link between the headline and the article, but the article is just great read.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 92725.html

Thank you Hartmut, that you couldn t make it to Manchester, and with your ticket you gave a wonderful opportunity to a sponaneous extra, did not regret a second.

thank you Leonard, Sharon, Charley,Hattie, Roscoe, Javier, Neil, Rafael, Mitch, Alexandru - you all were GREAT!
Sylvia
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

Last edited by IrishAL on Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

IrishAL wrote:Video

Alexandra Leaving

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puAHbVn3GsA

Anyhow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHA_DQcQPdU

enjoy,

albert
Superb as always, Sir Albert.
This is the slowest rendition to Alexandra Leaving I heard. Just as beautiful.

Glad everyone had a wonderful time.
2 more weeks for me :-)

--Sharon
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
ncb

Post by ncb »

cohenadmirer wrote:
James T wrote: Some woman ran up to the stage past the barrier to be right in front of him. He looked quite happy that he's still got it!! Security got rid of her, shame. She did steal my seat for the start of the second half though. Weird.
It was a young woman, and happened while Leonard was kneeling in front of Javier during ' First we take Manhattan'. It wasn't long before she was whisked away but a good observation that he 'looked happy he's still got it'. Javier was amused too
Oh dear, I don't want to be negative about one of the best Leonard Cohen gigs I've seen but the young woman in question pushed through people to the front twice, dragged two companions, one of whom (one can't be blamed for the consequences of genetics/nutrition) blocked the view of people behind. She made sure that all those around her knew what she was doing. Spontaneous adoration or mannered self adoration, who am I to judge...is cynicism an inevitable consequence of age?
Anyway, I at least was there to be immersed in the lyrics and music of my life and I left sated but looking forward to the next time.
1979 Brighton ; 2009 Leon, Palma, Madrid ; 2010 Stockholm, Göteborg, Gent 2x, Lille ; 2012 Gent, Amsterdam, Dublin, Paris ; 2013 Manchester, Leeds
gilly-rjd

Post by gilly-rjd »

MY MANCHESTER EXPERIENCE.............

Late yesterday morning I discovered there were some 2nd row tickets for Manchester available. Unable to resist, I bought one, grabbed my bag, scribbled a note to my (at work) husband -'popping up to Manchester for a concert; see you tomorrow' - and at 2pm I was heading north on the M5.
I've never been to Manchester before, but about 2 hours later, I was there. I followed a yellow sign with a 'P Arena' on it and parked my car. I was told the Arena was just past the Renault garage and down the dual carriageway, whilst the meet-up pub was a few streets the other way.
Indeed, the (very crowded) Old Wellington pub was nearby and it was lovely to see familiar faces again - some I had only seen a few days ago in Bournemouth! -and new Members as well.(Thank you, Gill and Mandy for the calendar.)
And then the concert began - 3 and a half hours of sweet magic. I think this was the best I've been to; the sound was absolutely perfect - everything was wonderfully perfect, and Leonard appeared so happy and clearly enjoyed the evening.
On leaving the Arena, I set off towards where I thought I had parked my car. But there seemed to be so many little Arena Parking car parks,and I spent the next hour walking around (fortunately with a mum and daughter concert-goer who knew Manchester) but could not find my car. I thought I'd get a taxi to the Renault garage area; there was a taxi at the kerb, but when the driver opened the window and vomited twice on the road, I wisely thought I'd better not get in with him.....
Just after midnight I went to the Travel Lodge, thinking I ought to stay the night then everything would look better in the morning. The manager on duty kindly got me a black coffee, and said the Police were on their way as a car had been broken into, and they might be able to help. At 1am I found myself in the back of a Police van with 2 lovely young policewomen driving around looking for small rubbly car parks. 'Did I recognise anywhere?' they asked. I was facing backwards and had no windows to look out of! I apologised to them, but they replied that this was a 'breath of fresh air' for them after the night they had had.
At 1.36am, almost 12 hours after I'd left home, tucked away behind the Renault workshop garage (as opposed to the showroom) we came across a small bit of land with one solitary car in it. I was overjoyed.
Without a stop, just after 4am, I arrived home.
What a memorable evening!!
And what a memorable concert.
And I love you, Leonard Cohen.
Gilly
- 2008 - Birmingham - 2009 -Liverpool - 2010 - Sligo, Lille
2012 -Guent, Paris - 2013 Bournemouth, Manchester, Birmingham
sandraa

Post by sandraa »

Gilly-rjd. What a story and one which i'm sure we've all come close to.Well done on staying calm and what a memorable concert .Interesting that Manchester wasn't a full house.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

sandraa wrote:Interesting that Manchester wasn't a full house.
It's a massive arena - bigger than the O2 I believe. I'm sure there would have been a 21,000 capacity crowd if the show had been announced early with only a few other shows known about at the time, as was the case with the June O2 show. But this show was announced after all other European shows and forms part of a larger UK tour so people had plenty of options for where and when to see a show or shows. The arena wasn't exactly empty either. The top tier at the back was curtained off and there were some empty rows about, particularly at the back of the floor, but the place appeared to be pretty full otherwise. I heard a figure of 8,000 somewhere which would suggest less than half full if the 21,000 capacity figure but looking around, there must have been more than that there.

Wendy

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”